Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

absolutecleaning

Re-activation of odours
« on: December 10, 2007, 07:22:05 am »
Had a call from customer yesterday from job on Saturday.

She says that where we have cleaned lounge carpet it now "smells like a pub" - she mentioned smoke.

She says it must have been the chemicals we used - but then did seem to accept my explanation that it couldnt be as the other areas we cleaned are the same carpet and are fine.

The carpet is wool (100% I think)

Does anyone have any suggestions what he cause could be?

Do other odours reactivate on cleaning like urine can?

The carpet has been eaten by moths (or similar) in one corner of the room.  Could the smell be anything to do with larvae etc?

Any ideas would be apprectiated - going to have a look later this morning.

Thanks

Simon

Doug Holloway

Re: Re-activation of odours
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 07:32:33 am »
Hi Simon

Could be reactivation on  a dirty carpet, afterall you are not going to remove all the dirt ;)

Could also be a reaction with a fibre finish, I have one particular carpet in a commercial premise , which always smells for a few days after cleaning and I suspect it's something to do with the carpet.

Last time I texathermed it with no probs, so coluld be HWE causes it.

As for your smell , might be worth treating with a bactericide like Clensan.

Cheers

Doug

absolutecleaning

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 07:38:09 am »
Cheers for the swift response Doug.

So are you saying that smells like smoke that she seems to be describing could be reactivated by cleaning and that they are likely to go after a few days anyway.

I dont really want to go down the route of using another product / clean to sort this out as I have a fairly busy week as it is.

I dont think it is the type of carpet as such cos the other room with the same carpet are fine.

Simon

Doug Holloway

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 07:46:45 am »
Hi Simon

If the other rooms have the same carpet and you cleaned them the same way , then it must be a carpet fault or reactivation of a smell, which is quite possible with smoke.

It is likely that the smell will go in a few days but a spray may help, if only to mask.

Cheers

Doug

Joe H

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 08:20:03 am »
If like Doug says the smell may go away in a few days, then go back today, explain you have sought advice and this may be the situation and ask can you go back later in the week (are you less busy then). If you have some odour eliminator/mask then perhaps spray to appease in the short term.

absolutecleaning

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 08:37:19 am »
OK - thats what I'll do I think.

Some diluted lemon refresh left with her in a bottle should do shouldnt it?

Thanks