Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

LWC

giving employees vans
« on: December 10, 2007, 07:02:10 am »
ive got too much now for myself and i constantly am doing different types of cleaning now. i dont want to forget the windows at all.  im just not getting round in time anymore so...my plan is to get someone to look after my domestic houses with my van.

i thought i would give them my van, and get them insured in it and let them do the work for me. ive got someone in mind and hes a good lad. the insurance will be about £550, it'll be his first car. would you pay personally for that insurance or ask them to pay for it?

seems a pretty good deal to me, if i gave him my van, he wouldnt have to look for a van, just wondering whether i should fork out for his insurance too. means i will have to shell out for a new van and a whole new system too...gonna be costly to start

i know hes gonna earn me money cause like i say hes a good lad...whats your opinions??

Rob_Mac

Re: giving employees vans
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:21:40 am »
I don't think you can ask someone to fork out for insurance of a van when they are going out to earn you money.

If you are letting them use it for personal use then they should pay towards all the costs.

We have 3 vans and I pay everything but they do not use them for personal use and they are locked in our unit overnight

Rob ;D

Fox

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 08:25:33 am »
I pay for everything on our vehicles, the only thing i do is put terms in their contracts about keeping them maintained with oil and water and such like.  I also put a clause in that if they cause an accident then they are liable for the excess.

If an employee uses a van for personal use they will be charged tax on it.

Fox

joe.b

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 08:59:20 am »
if its his first car and hes young it is going to be dear, my insurance is 1600 and im 19 and had about dozen cars before this.

Skyglide

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 09:14:14 am »
Agree with Fox.
We only employ people over 25 with clean licences. Your man would have to be absolutely gold standard fo get a decent return.
We give a bonus each month if they turn in for work, no callbacks, no damage to vehicle.
Chris

Helen

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 09:33:29 am »
ive got too much now for myself and i constantly am doing different types of cleaning now. i dont want to forget the windows at all.  im just not getting round in time anymore so...my plan is to get someone to look after my domestic houses with my van.

i thought i would give them my van, and get them insured in it and let them do the work for me. ive got someone in mind and hes a good lad. the insurance will be about £550, it'll be his first car. would you pay personally for that insurance or ask them to pay for it?

seems a pretty good deal to me, if i gave him my van, he wouldnt have to look for a van, just wondering whether i should fork out for his insurance too. means i will have to shell out for a new van and a whole new system too...gonna be costly to start

i know hes gonna earn me money cause like i say hes a good lad...whats your opinions??

Reading between the lines and I may be wrong, but are you fully employing this guy or are you subbing the actual work out? This could make a difference to what you have said you wish to do :)

Simon Carter

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 12:32:51 pm »
This is a big issue at the moment for me. I want to grow my client base which frankly is the easy bit. Previously I recruited guys on a self employed basis who used their own vehicle. They needed to get a roof rack. I supplied the ladder & bucket. Easy!.
The water fed pole has made it possible to earn a lot more. There have been lots of plus's, but getting the water to the job I have yet to resolve.
At the moment I'm seriously thinking that trailers are the way to go. I'd be very greatful to hear from anyone who uses a trailer set up.
Onwards and Upwards...

LWC

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 05:15:21 pm »
yeh well i got a lot to think about, its not that bad i have got a quote and it is £550

in an ideal world everything would workout, he'd earn me alot of money, there'd be no problems...lol but we'll have to see

thanks for the replies

Scrimble

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 06:40:49 pm »
We only employ people over 25 with clean licences.

so you discriminate against people because of there age? isnt there a law that says you cannot do this?

i'm 22 and pay £471 a year to insure my van and thats with zero no claims bonus, you obviously cant be bothered to pull your finger out and ring around for a decent quote!

Helen

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 07:06:13 pm »

so you discriminate against people because of there age? isnt there a law that says you cannot do this?

i'm 22 and pay £471 a year to insure my van and thats with zero no claims bonus, you obviously cant be bothered to pull your finger out and ring around for a decent quote!

No it is not discrimination, ageist or whatever. The law says you cannot use age as an excuse for not employing someone, so as long as you put this in your advert and the reasons why then you are fine.
You can get commercial vehicle insurance for under 25's, but not from every insurance company. The ones that will insure load the premiums so high,that it is not cost effective to do. You have your own insurance on your own van so that is why you have been able to keep your premiums lower. :) At that price that you have you have got a very good deal. :)

macmac

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 07:51:38 pm »

Get real, he can employ who he likes, more to the point- who would want to employ a young muppet? not me ;)

tony

dave0123

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 11:12:09 pm »
i'm 22 and pay £471 a year to insure my van and thats with zero no claims bonus, you obviously cant be bothered to pull your finger out and ring around for a decent quote!]i'm 22 and pay £471 a year to insure my van and thats with zero no claims bonus, you obviously cant be bothered to pull your finger out and ring around for a decent quote!

Who is that with Mark? am paying £820 odd for a year and am the same age.
Thats for businesss and domestic/pleasure use

DAVE
Dave.

LWC

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 07:01:26 am »
i'm 22 and pay £471 a year to insure my van and thats with zero no claims bonus, you obviously cant be bothered to pull your finger out and ring around for a decent quote!]i'm 22 and pay £471 a year to insure my van and thats with zero no claims bonus, you obviously cant be bothered to pull your finger out and ring around for a decent quote!

Who is that with Mark? am paying £820 odd for a year and am the same age.
Thats for businesss and domestic/pleasure use

DAVE

im 22 dave and pay about £400 fully comp on mine with eVan insurance

Ian Rochester

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 07:10:50 am »
I wouldn't try comparing each others quote on van insurance as everything is dependant on what you are driving, what it's worth, your postcode risk area, age and many other things.

The over 25 thing is for an any driver policy, however you can add young drivers on as named drivers, for an additional cost.

We have just put a MPV on the road for domestic cleaning and it there is an over 30 any driver clause for cars.