This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Davew

overpricing?
« on: December 08, 2007, 09:15:27 am »
Have you ever overpriced a property, got it then felt guilty about it?

Dean Aspects

Re: overpricing?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 09:22:47 am »
I have in the past overpriced jobs simply as i didn't want them ended up getting the job and still feeling the job wasn't worth it never feel guilty about it though its business and its all about keeping a roof over my kids head and food in their bellies

Although i do have to admit when i was doing pensioners and they scrape through their purses looking for the money it does pull at the heart strings abit as some of them only have the pension to live on

I take it you are feeling guilty about something? come on spill the beans let it out you will feel better once you have  ;D

Dean

eddie d

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 09:29:11 am »
what is overpricing

i have a minimum of 10 my collegue has a minimum of  20
i think thats overpricing ,but his customers r happy with it .

Davew

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 09:32:56 am »
Ha no nothing major, yes i've got an old lady on her own, i priced it a little higher because i have to scramble up a pitched roof to get to one window even though i'm wfp. I know iv'e priced it right for me. I just feel bad taking the money as it's double the last cleaner. I have reduced a couple before after the first clean - again old people on their own. I think bacically i'm crap at business! :)

matt

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 09:48:30 am »
ive got a fair few i feel guilty about, but hey, better in my pocket i say ;)

Dean Aspects

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 09:49:30 am »
We are all trying to run successful businesses and getting the right price for a job is top of the list if they cannot afford the price they have the option to cancel and look elsewhere...thats the hardnosed view

Sometimes it nice to do a little job that little bit cheaper for just such old ladies
i do a couple of jobs for free you are just showing your human side nothing wrong in that i see it that i am earning enough from other work that doing a good deed is not a problem and makes me feel good about myself

Dean

brightnclean

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 10:09:05 am »
Ha no nothing major, yes i've got an old lady on her own, i priced it a little higher because i have to scramble up a pitched roof to get to one window even though i'm wfp. I know iv'e priced it right for me. I just feel bad taking the money as it's double the last cleaner. I have reduced a couple before after the first clean - again old people on their own. I think bacically i'm crap at business! :)

No ur not crap at business. We offer a personal service and as long as we make a profit then it's fine. I do a few jobs for well under my normal rates because the people who I do them for really can't afford it but are proud people who scrape the money together. One or two are single parents and a few are older folks. I don't do them out of a sense of charity. In fact I probably get more job satisfaction from the appreciation (And tea n biscuits) I get from these few customers. I think it's sad to become hard nosed and not have the human touch.

Sanity

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 05:44:03 pm »
I have overpriced a couple of jobs, then after a few cleans lowered the price a bit.  Not only do they then become firm, loyal customers, they will tell others about your service (especially if you word it that you have reappraised the prices on your round and yada yada yada...).

Thats my experience anyhoo.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 06:18:47 pm »
If I feel I've overpriced a property I'll do it a couple of times to make sure there's no hidden problems with the customer or property then if there's not I'll drop the price to where it should be for me. Better that way round than go in too low and have to put it up or tollerate it. I've had too many of those in the past and still have a few on my round that go back years that I'll probably never lose till they move  cause they so cheap.

I have found recently that most people that have asked me for a price seem to be thinking in terms of around £10 per month (4 weekly) for a 2-3 bed terraced or smaller semi before I even quote them.

macmac

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 07:40:37 pm »
Yes dave i have & to be honest it doesn't always sit comfortably with me. I always try & get the best price i can (naturaly) but on the odd occasion i have priced way over & still got it. It's a bit of a contradiction of feelings, if they are rich i don't mind so much but if they are normal working class it does pull on my concience a wee bit. ::) Ohh, i can't help it, i'm such a softy at heart :'(

tony

NWH

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 07:48:50 pm »
It`s not the overpricing you should worry about,it`s the underpricing that you should avoid.

macmac

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 07:51:16 pm »
It`s not the overpricing you should worry about,it`s the underpricing that you should avoid.
;D ;D ;D
Oooooooooooo, you're a hard nut NWH ;D

tony

Rob.Hall

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 07:52:42 pm »
I have a new custy who came to me because Her previous w/c charged £15
and was only on the job 10 mins....wfp.

He did not do sills, frames or doors.

I am finding this a lot. People are happy to pay the price if the job is done properly.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »
A couple of my customers do a lot of charity work so they get there windows cleaned for free.

macmac

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 07:58:27 pm »
A couple of my customers do a lot of charity work so they get there windows cleaned for free.

Arrrrr, that's better, ( you big softy ) :-*

tony

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 08:10:31 pm »
I'll tell you on monday.
I've priced a whopper.

It could be a nightmare, or it could be embarrassingly expensive!
That's the problem with big jobs, when you never normally do them.

Davew

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 08:15:19 pm »
How did you get it Squeak?

Rogue Trader

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 08:19:13 pm »
I overprced a job that i quoted on one night when canvassing ... while i was walking around the house the old boy didnt stop telling me how many windows he had and how awkward they are ...... i did feel guilty though ... kept on having visions of being filmed by rogue traders!

NWH

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 08:23:28 pm »
Squeaky if you`ve really overpriced it say that you need to go and get more water to finish the job,go down the local cafe for a couple of coffees and then go back to finish off,should add an hour or so if you get round to quickly.If it was me though i would just do it in the time it takes and go,you agree a price and that`s it providing you do a good job who`s complaining.

Londoner

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 07:23:41 am »
I have actually revised a price down after doing the job because I got it wrong but thats rare. However, I have about 30% of my customers who are going to get their prices increased in the New Year. Thats a lot harder.