This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Re: Recession, Did the last one affect you?
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »
Lets face it we are not exactly essencial are we? Most people can live with dirty windows for quite a long time.

Its Shiners comment we should be more concerned about. People start window cleaning in a recession. Its the traditional fall back job for loads of blokes who are struggling in their present line of work. The trouble is they go round offering silly prices because they don't know any better and because they are only after quick money and then when their normal work picks up they are gone.

I know a bloke who is a tiler, he hasn't had any work for two weeks now and is driving a cab instead. At least he's not window cleaning - yet!

That's quite right Vince.  There are always more window cleaners around in a recession.  I only intended to do it until I got a job as well.  Eventually I was offered a job and turned it down  :) .  By the time I had an offer I had built what I then regarded as half a window cleaning round so I just carried on.

NWH

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 06:19:24 pm »
All you need to do in such times is just get more work,enough so your not doing them so often.People are always going to want them done but maybe there not going to want them done so often,by increasing customer base it will enable you to stretch it between cleans,i`m never ever on time anyway only with certain work so it won`t effect me,stay 1 step ahead of the game.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 07:35:20 pm »
I for one have been waiting for the so-called credit crunch. I have nothing on credit apart from my mortgage which is unavoidable. Looking at greedy friends and neighbours splashing money they don't have on cars, huge tv's, expensive holidays etc. I got to the stage where i thought that my policy was wrong (if i didn't have the money then i couldn't have it) and pehaps they were right. Now having listened to several stories of people we know who are in irreversable debt i know i was right. Still my phone keeps ringing with some indian gentleman offering me credit every week from several different companies. They just won't have it when i tell them i don't want a credit card.

Surely it's useful though to have a bit of access to credit in case something big goes wrong with your vehicle - unless of course you carry sufficient spare funds to cover such an eventuality.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 07:35:42 pm »
OK - who are your most loyal customers?

The early retired for me - late fifties upwards - mortgage paid or low and on a decent pension - savings go up more as interest rates increase - they are pretty much recession proof and want to keep you.

The ones who find it tough when interest rates climb are those in their thirties, kids, mortgage, credit cards etc.

I half expect commercials to ask to reduce frequency, but not yet so far.
It's a game of three halves!

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 08:08:14 pm »
Good idea Malc,
Maybe we should go through our list and work out how many we think are at risk of losing, then go and canvas to replace them but then you end up with too much work again ?

Blackbushe Windows

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 08:18:59 pm »
Andy, don't you go pinching anymore of my custies!!

Regards

Peter
Blackbushe Windows.
Est. 1983
www.blackbushewindows.co.uk

Londoner

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 07:37:34 am »
Its the old "keeping up appearences thing". Loads of people are struggling for a whole load of reasons but its not visible to others.

One of our customers yesterday phoned up and spoke to my wife, she asked if we could put her off till the new year only her husband is self employed and money was tight. No problem, we all know that feeling, been there. A lot of people would be too proud to come out and say it like that.

There are some deep cracks forming in the economy which loads of people, including the politicians, are in denial about.

Davew

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 09:07:29 am »
Agree with that, my wife works with many younger generation people who have been brought up on credit. Some of their debts are eye wateringly bad! They get to the point where they have to "consolidate" their loans which really means remortgage the house and extend the terms. Then the daft thing is they see their monthly outgoings have reduced so they borrow some more and buy a flash car. I am convinced there will be a meltdown at some point. No doubt the taxpayer will then come in and help out. ::)

supernova77

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 01:47:55 pm »
Andy, don't you go pinching anymore of my custies!!

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

Hope you're well?

I was only joking! I didn't really steal them.

Andy