This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gary evans

20th working day in trot
« on: December 01, 2007, 05:34:04 am »
Does anybody else work like this, or am i  mad, like i keep getting told.

This will be my 20th day on the trot, with an average of 10 hours per day. Weds this week did 14, started at 4am finished at 6pm.

Doing a lot of paperwork, temders, qoutes, running the business, preparing for big job, daily tickets & booking jobs, & on top of that working one of the vans some of the time.

I do addiional cleaning work where short, carpet cleaning & window cleaning. Also pressue washing & anything else people require, i do all the unusual etc,

Trying to expand the business at moment, so a lot to do, was offered a part time worker in office, but thought i didnt have time to train her through all our stuff, Mistake.

Got to go starting at 6.

Gary

mark dew

Re: 20th working day in trot
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 05:57:05 am »
well as no-one else is about at the mo i will be the 1st to congratulate you on your efforts. I hope you don't forget to put aside some time to spend all that hard earned cash.
Good luck.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:15:49 am »
Gary,

Your body, and your wife/partner will tell you if it's too much. 

Anyone who is wanting to grow their business needs to put in the hours.  This is the time of year when everyone, customers new and old, wants and expects you to drop everything for them!

The question is are you still enjoying it!  If the answer is yes then everything is fine, once you start losing the enjoyment factor, that's when things start getting more strenuous.

When I was just starting out on my own I worked every hour god sent to get the business established and to keep people happy.  However now we have 10 staff, a good reputation and although I can't just close the front door and switch off at 5pm, I can make time for myself, my wife, daughter and family.

Other than essential contract cleaning and call-outs, we are closing down on the 22nd Dec and not reopening until 2nd Jan.

Londoner

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 06:36:40 am »
Ian's point is key to the whole thing. As long as you are enjoying it.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 07:35:49 am »
you need to take a day off some time to refuel or you will burn yourself out.

Ian

LWC

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 08:17:33 am »
good on ya fella, your a real man  ;D

i would work everyday if i could, but i have the kids friday sat and sunday whilst my wife works.

in a year ill be able to start working fridays when littlist one goes to school, wah hey

barry woodward

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 09:12:15 am »
Go for it Gary,
I started 18 years ago and done the same thing, to me it paid off, busted my arm over 2 weeks ago i wont work properly until the new year, but i turned over more in November than i did in October, December i hope to help out on a few jobs, all my hard work paid, hope it does for you.

Barry

Helen

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 09:14:47 am »
Does anybody else work like this, or am i  mad, like i keep getting told.
Gary
who keeps telling you that?
You are not mad, you are trying to build a secure future for you and yours, nothing wrong with that...
Nothing is for free in this life and if you want to have a successful business you have to put hard graft and long hours in from time to time to do so. You have xmas coming up in 3 weeks, so make sure you have a break then and re-charge your batteries. For next year why not work out a timetable, say 12 hour days mon - thurs and a four hour day friday and weekends ONLY if necessary.......what's that old saying.....practise what you preach Helen....done the timetable :D :D

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 09:34:51 am »
Hi Gary

They say that success is 10 percent inspiration and 90 percent perspiration and that's what you have to be prepared for. However, there comes a point when taking the odd day off and doing nothing doesn't actually have the impact you thought it would!

Regards

Mike

Gordon Saunders

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 05:28:01 pm »
Theres more to life than work and chasing the pound note

clean

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 05:50:39 pm »

Too right,life`s too short to be working all the time, i know a lot of miserable wealthy people that don`t have a social life and also a lot of people that scrape by but are really happy,  ;)

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 07:46:33 pm »
try 3 months plus on the trot be like that all the way upto 20th dec
P&R Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 08:07:22 pm »
It's not often I disagree with Gordon, but this is one. If you are a driven personality with a desperate need to succeed then this effort level is the norm. Yes it leads to divorce and heart attacks but you are never going to know if you could have made it unless you try.

matt

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 08:24:12 pm »
It's not often I disagree with Gordon, but this is one. If you are a driven personality with a desperate need to succeed then this effort level is the norm. Yes it leads to divorce and heart attacks but you are never going to know if you could have made it unless you try.

i somehow knew you would be impressed by this thread

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 08:51:18 pm »
You think I live half a life bereft of many small but satisfying things, so what.

Most of the people posting on this are seeing themselves either now or at some stage in their lives.

Yes i'm impressed, and also a little envious of gary. He's living life at full bore, full of frenetic energy, and most likely will end up minted.

gary evans

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 07:34:59 pm »
Hi all thanks for the comments.

Very busy at moment as trying to expand business.

Looking at other avenues & ventures, for advancement.

Currently I do:   Book jobs
                          Some of the invoiceing
                          All the qoutes
                          All the tenders
                          Carpet cleaning
                          Pressure washing
                          Window cleaning
                          & Any general duties of running a business.

Looking to take somebody on soon in office to release me to do more work on vans, have joined BNI which was spoke about previously & have 2 new ventures in pipeline when i have more time.

There is a lot of work out there, i actually set father-in-law up a while ago, gave him some work & helped him get about 60 customers, he came in part-time for us, but now he has 200 customers & all is going well, so any newbies it can be done with effort.

Today is sunday, had full rest & looking forward to busy week, definately off next weekend as going away.

Gary

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 09:57:01 pm »
Hi all thanks for the comments.

Very busy at moment as trying to expand business.

Looking at other avenues & ventures, for advancement.

Some of the invoiceing
                          All the qoutes
                          All the tenders
                          Carpet cleaning
                          Pressure washing
                          Window cleaning

Looking to take somebody on soon in office to release me to do more work on vans, have joined BNI which was spoke about previously & have 2 new ventures in pipeline when i have more time.

There is a lot of work out there, i actually set father-in-law up a while ago, gave him some work & helped him get about 60 customers, he came in part-time for us, but now he has 200 customers & all is going well, so any newbies it can be done with effort.

Today is sunday, had full rest & looking forward to busy week, definately off next weekend as going away.

Gary

Sounds like me when i first started out had to have my fngers in all the pies now its just window cleaning
P&R Window Cleaning

Ian_Giles

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 06:50:21 am »
Working 7 day weeks?
There is an awful lot more to life than work...I work for a living, I don't live to work.
To be successful you need to learn to delegate, you simply cannot do it all yourself.
Don't get me wrong, if it is required that I have to work on a weekend I'll do so, but that is a very, very rare thing indeed.
During the week, whilst at work I'll often work far more hours than most window cleaners too.
I would say that most will start somewhere between 8am and 9am and be back home again somewhere between 3pm and 4pm.
My day often starts somewhere between 6am and 7am and I'll work till 5pm and beyond.
So I do work hard, but I now also earn very good money too.

Building a business and making it grow beyond that of a sole trader of course takes more effort, but work is like a drug, and you can get dragged into doing more and more hours.
To grow you just have to learn to delegate, there are only so many hours in the day, and one man can only do so much.

I think that Gary should now be one of his business's overheads.

Some of the invoiceing
                          All the qoutes
                          All the tenders
                          Carpet cleaning
                          Pressure washing
                          Window cleaning

Carpet cleaning, pressure washing and window cleaning should be done by employees, that should free up considerable time for you to run the business, and if the office side of things is also swallowing up your time, then get yourself a secretary, even if only part time to ease your workload.
you can then concentrate on building and running your business.

You need balance in life and work, and as said, work can be addictive, and most addicts end out with ruined health, be it drugs, booze, gambling or work, overdo them and they will wreak havoc!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

steve m

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 07:47:48 am »
Gary

When I first started I was the same as you. Early morning cleans, full days window cleaning, running another business and working all the hours god sends. Three things happen:

1: you'll end up in bed ill for a couple of days after a while (I know I was there)

2: you end up getting bored of what you do cos it will start to lead your life( yep, I was there)

3: you might even get a life threatening disease like cancer
that makes you look at the way you lead your whole life(three guesses !!!!)

The moral of the story is - you might get that super dooper business up and running, and it might earn you that million you want so bad, but whats the point if you havent got a life to enjoy it with

gary evans

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 07:57:08 am »
Yeh no probs, taking it all in, but this short term for definate. I have a lady setup for office, just need time to deal with it for her. I ahve another van on order to increase t/0. And i am currently tendering for a lot of window cleaning, that is what i would prefer more of. But there are opportunities for cleaning contracts aswell also to increase workload.

I should of set up properly earlier, have had difficult year, damaged knees skiing, had break-in & also trying to expand to cover turnover which is like a bucket with holes in it, never enough time to sit down & go through stuff to correct it.

Looking forward to the run up to xmas, we,ve got loads on & hopefully pick-up some new work.

Gary.