This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Helen

for those of you looking to employ
« on: November 27, 2007, 02:39:37 pm »
There are many pros and cons to employing, but you just know when it is going to be a bad day with some!
Lets make it clear that we haven't had any issues or sub standard work for months out of this one guy!
this morning:
arrives in not so good mood (warning bells may just spot check today then!)
Go out after a while so he has chance to get well into the round.
Check one:
Frames not good enough
Check two:
runs down front lower window (should have been trad not wfp)
Check three:
Smears over front lower window, not done backs at all
Check four (not bad but could be better)
Check five:
Get the picture..... he's having a bad day we all have them.

Catch him up, he blanks me when i say hello (bit my lip)
I wait for him to finish the window he is on and ask him to please switch off water flow. Pole is flung to ground and he does so begrudgingly! I get the worksheet and ask him did you wfp where you should have used trad? Answer no.....hmm sorry I can tell, lets try that again....did you wfp where you should have used trad? Wow I must have ignited the blue touch paper.....5 minutes later after when he finally calmed down and shut up, I asked him if he has issues that has upset his work today as his standard is normally so high? Answer, "that's it I am working to the end of the month and then I will get another job!!!!I cannot put up with these complaints everyday"  :o Not to be held ransom, I calmly said well that is your decision, but at the end of this worksheet you will go back and put right the jobs that are not good, I'll mark them for you. Clipboard got thrown across the street!!!!!! Ok you have 2 choices you go back and put right and you still get your quality bonus, I go back and put right you lose your quality bonus and the time it takes me (its in his signed contract) Mumble "I'll do it" I said thankyou and walked to my car with what must have been tonnes of steam out of my ears >:(

I await his return later on, I am already dressed in a full suit of armour :) ;D
IF I had laid into him verbally I could have understood his reaction, but I didn't, can't see the point of being like that, but he sure did push me close to being that way! ;)

Wonder if he will quit.......... not particulrly worried if he can be like that

Before anyone says pay him more, he is already OTE £24k in his first year ;D

Dean Aspects

Re: for those of you looking to employ
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 02:48:02 pm »
Good luck for later i think i would have decked him after throwing the clipboard across the road
Having said that in his position i would have been a bit narked aswell with your clipboard thats why i work for myself though   ;D
And also why i dont employ any more as i cant handle idiot workers
Again good luck and rather you than me  ;D

Dean

supernova77

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 02:58:30 pm »
Helen,

Let us know how you get on with him later! I hope it goes well.

I think you've put me off employing now though!  :-\

Andy

Helen

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 03:03:25 pm »
Good luck for later i think i would have decked him after throwing the clipboard across the road
Having said that in his position i would have been a bit narked aswell with your clipboard thats why i work for myself though 
Dean

The clipboard makes reading and writing on the worksheet a bit easier for him, something else that I pamper the guys with, make it as easy as I can, then all they have to do is clean the windows ;D

Helen

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:08:40 pm »
Helen,

Let us know how you get on with him later! I hope it goes well.

I think you've put me off employing now though!  :-\

Andy
Andy , don't be put off, this guy has been with us 7 months now, is a first class cleaner (normally) and this is only the 2nd occassion we have had a problem, hence his good money. I am sure he has a good reason for being like this today, whether I find out is his business not mine, but I do expect an insy winsy little sorry when he gets back........won't hold me breadth though. One thing I learnt all my working life, you have bad days, everyone does, but don't take it out on your work, workmates or employers, it really is not worth saying or doing something you may later regret. It is much better to say at the start of the day "look guys, I really don't fell 100% today, so if I'm a bit off apologies, but I should be ok 2morrow" ;D

Dean Aspects

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 03:14:07 pm »
Sorry helen i am sitting here all smug and thankful that i dont have to put up with that type of nonsense anymore except from customers but even that is getting less as i change my working practices
Again good luck and you are definitely a better person than me in this situation

Dean

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 03:17:42 pm »
He's on 24k a year and he ignores you, throws a clipboard and does a bad job!! thats bad, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Helen

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 03:19:41 pm »
Sorry helen i am sitting here all smug and thankful that i dont have to put up with that type of nonsense anymore except from customers but even that is getting less as i change my working practices
Again good luck and you are definitely a better person than me in this situation

Dean
Ta, but he couldn't read my mind could he ;D ;D ;D Rest assured I take only so much and then....well, you wouldn't want to be there.....
As for my other half who owns the business too........a few Brandies this evening before he finds out and then he has all night to calm down ;D

Helen

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 03:23:17 pm »
He's on 24k a year and he ignores you, throws a clipboard and does a bad job!! thats bad, Luke

Exactly my point Luke, and trying to be a good employer and not interfering with what may be an issue in his private life and also "lets not let the standards fall and your bonuses aswell" he reacts like that! Sometime you just can't get it right ;D

NWH

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 04:15:59 pm »
He would have had a pole hose coming out of his mouth and a brush sticking out of his A***.

Helen

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 04:21:17 pm »
He would have had a pole hose coming out of his mouth and a brush sticking out of his A***.

Has now!!!!!!

Dean Aspects

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 04:24:57 pm »

Has now!!!!!!

Oh dear!!
Another one bites the dust?

Dean

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 04:26:14 pm »
Helen

If he acted that way towards my wife , his feet wouldnt of touched the ground, bad day or not.

There are a lot of nice people out there so no need to put up with that.

Dave

Helen

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 04:26:55 pm »

Has now!!!!!!

Seriously, he has just left for the day, after putting right what was wrong....yes I went and checked and not a mark to be seen anywhere :)
Did I hear the word sorry, not a bleeding chance, but he had calmed down and yes he could see where he had gone wrong, and he did admit that his 18 month old is teething and has a dicky tummy and kept him up all night last night, If he had said as much this morning, I would have kicked on with what I was doing and caught up with him later to lighten the load and he knows that is how we work, so lesson learnt by him. As we say if you don't tell us we don't know! So as to quitting maybe he will maybe he won't, but 2morrow is another day ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 04:28:23 pm »

Has now!!!!!!

Missed this one , couldnt stop laughing

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 04:45:23 pm »

Has now!!!!!!

Seriously, he has just left for the day, after putting right what was wrong....yes I went and checked and not a mark to be seen anywhere :)
Did I hear the word sorry, not a bleeding chance, but he had calmed down and yes he could see where he had gone wrong, and he did admit that his 18 month old is teething and has a dicky tummy and kept him up all night last night, If he had said as much this morning, I would have kicked on with what I was doing and caught up with him later to lighten the load and he knows that is how we work, so lesson learnt by him. As we say if you don't tell us we don't know! So as to quitting maybe he will maybe he won't, but 2morrow is another day ;D
HE would have got a written warning for that, on the end of the hose.
You staff should not talk to you like that for any reason, his private life is nothing to do with work and nor should it be bought to work, if I had of done that for the short time I was employed I would have expected to be sacked.
Glad you kept calm about the situation because if I have that done to be I would not be so forgiving, and throwing a pole would tip me over the edge.

Helen

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 04:50:32 pm »
Helen

If he acted that way towards my wife , his feet wouldnt of touched the ground, bad day or not.

There are a lot of nice people out there so no need to put up with that.

Dave
That is the fine line of hubbie and wife running a business together. I have my responsibilities and one is checking and overseeing staff. If I am not capable of dealing with an issue as it comes about then I should not be dealing with that part of the business. Had it become personal, believe me his feet wouldn't touch the ground after better half had got hold of him.

Helen

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 04:55:14 pm »
Quote from: windowwashers [quote

You staff should not talk to you like that for any reason, his private life is nothing to do with work and nor should it be bought to work, if I had of done that for the short time I was employed I would have expected to be sacked.
Glad you kept calm about the situation because if I have that done to be I would not be so forgiving, and throwing a pole would tip me over the edge.
Will be in with his wage slip on Friday as he was verbally advised today, so as I said before maybe he will quit. Easieer for us than having to scak someone just beforer Xmas even if it is their  own fault, but if we have to we will

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 05:00:39 pm »
Quote from: windowwashers [quote

Will be in with his wage slip on Friday as he was verbally advised today, so as I said before maybe he will quit. Easieer for us than having to scak someone just beforer Xmas even if it is their  own fault, but if we have to we will
I sacked a guy on Christmas eve  ::)
I take a view if you think you can get away with taking the p out of me think again, this certain person overstepped the mark, I am a fair boss, I show respect and they should show it back. be disrepectful and I to will be the same if not worse.

This guy owes you an apology.

Helen

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 05:49:15 pm »
I sacked a guy on Christmas eve  ::)
I take a view if you think you can get away with taking the p out of me think again, this certain person overstepped the mark, I am a fair boss, I show respect and they should show it back. be disrepectful and I to will be the same if not worse.

This guy owes you an apology.

He did overstep the mark and yes an apology would have been nice. We feel we are fair (probably too fair at times) and the reason he hasn't been given marching orders today is that this is out of character. If this was a regular occurence we wouldn't stand for it and he would have been long gone, as it is he has blotted his copybook now and spoilt it for himself.
Even if you are the hardest of the hard, sacking someone before Xmas, is not nice, but if it has to be done so be it  >:(