This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

supernova77

Employing...
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:52:44 am »
Hi All,

I'm getting to the stage where it would be beneficial for me to take someone else on.

When I worked in IT I was a contractor (basically self-employed)... My employment terms were x amount per hour x hours per week on a 3 month rolling contract.

I'm toying with the idea of offering a similar contract role... As an example: £10 per hour, 24 hours per week on a 4 month rolling contract. I would supply van and equipment etc...

Do you guys think that this kind of setup would work?

Andy

Re: Employing...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 11:53:41 am »
Hi All,

I'm getting to the stage where it would be beneficial for me to take someone else on.

When I worked in IT I was a contractor (basically self-employed)... My employment terms were x amount per hour x hours per week on a 3 month rolling contract.

I'm toying with the idea of offering a similar contract role... As an example: £10 per hour, 24 hours per week on a 4 month rolling contract. I would supply van and equipment etc...

Andy
Sort of what I do and works well for me  ;)

supernova77

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 12:13:24 pm »
Sort of what I do and works well for me  Wink

So your guys work on a self-employed basis? How much do you pay them an hour/

Andy

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 12:33:23 pm »
Sort of what I do and works well for me  Wink

So your guys work on a self-employed basis? How much do you pay them an hour/

Andy
No all on books, they cannot be self employed unless they clean for others which, I did want to do that but was told your cant.

Helen

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 01:43:04 pm »
Hi All,

Andy
Andy the onus would still be on you to make sure that your "contractor" has proveable other income . Your best bet is to phone the new employers helpline and run it by them exactly what you want to do. I would think that as you intend to supply the van equipment etc etc that you would have to employ, rather than subcontract, usually a sub contractor uses his own tools and I believe the rules are different in different industries. :)

Spursboy1972

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 02:46:47 pm »
In effect it is true that you should not have sub contractors whereby you are there only source of income. However there qare ways around this. Many courier firms operate this way. I know ANC for a fact use 70% "subbies" so there are ways around it. So Andy for example you may pay £10 per hour for 30 hours =£300. They submit you with an invoice for this amount and you submit one in return for the hire of vehicle and equipment. It is a grey area but other much bigger companie do it so why not?
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 06:17:42 pm »
Hi Folks,

Subbing is a very Grey area and just remember; If the tax man decides that your subies are employed by you then he'll be after YOU for all the back P.A.Y.E. :o :o

Personally I don't think it's worth the risk.

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

Londoner

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 06:38:35 pm »
There used to be "renters" who cleaned your customers and split the money with you 50-50.

Does that still go on?

Helen

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 08:10:21 pm »
In effect it is true that you should not have sub contractors whereby you are there only source of income. However there qare ways around this. Many courier firms operate this way. I know ANC for a fact use 70% "subbies" so there are ways around it. So Andy for example you may pay £10 per hour for 30 hours =£300. They submit you with an invoice for this amount and you submit one in return for the hire of vehicle and equipment. It is a grey area but other much bigger companie do it so why not?
ANC and other couriers usually operate this system on an Owner driver basis........ as for invoicing for hire of your vehicle, check the insurance, it may just state that you are not covered to hire out :)

eddie d

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 09:09:42 pm »
helen /? how are you suposed to know if the person carrying out wk for you is doing his or other work as well.
i do a lot of wk for 1 company they dont know if i work solely for them .

is it my buisness to know what else subbys are doing .

i sub work out and im sure the subbys do other work .but if they lost that other work then i would be thier sole employer .but may not kno it.

Helen

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 08:58:38 am »
Hi Folks,

Subbing is a very Grey area and just remember; If the tax man decides that your subies are employed by you then he'll be after YOU for all the back P.A.Y.E. :o :o

David

AS David said it is a "grey" area, that is why i suggested phoning and getting clarification as 2 years down the line or something you don't want  a tax and ni invoice landing on your doorstep for someone that you thought was S/E :)

Londoner

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 06:38:32 pm »
Literally all the minicab firms operate "illegally" but attempts to get the authorities to clamp down on them met with spectacular indifference.
Nobody wants to rock the boat.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 07:01:39 pm »
Literally all the minicab firms operate "illegally" but attempts to get the authorities to clamp down on them met with spectacular indifference.
Nobody wants to rock the boat.
Thats a good point  ;)

Jago

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 09:16:38 pm »
Andy,
you got any extra work out my way that you need help with????
I am still setting up my round and have a couple of days free
also Do you use WFP?
Regards J
To Do Is To Dare

supernova77

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 09:26:56 pm »
Andy,
you got any extra work out my way that you need help with?Huh
I am still setting up my round and have a couple of days free
also Do you use WFP?
Regards J

Hi mate,

How you doing?

I haven't got any work Bracknell way... Most my work is Fleet / Farnham / Alton...

Andy

Jago

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 09:33:23 pm »
OMG got loads to tell u but will do by email as a bit upsetting
Willing to Travel as now based back in Crowthorne I travell 20 miles for my own round give me a mail If you want a hand though any time
Hope you n the misses are Well
Regards J
btw water fed or not? or both?
To Do Is To Dare