This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ronnie paton

weathered windows
« on: November 23, 2007, 09:24:50 pm »
cleaned some windows not been cleaned for 15 years they came up better but not great and theyseem extremly weathered near the top of the frame.(makes them look frosted)

Does anyone know how to clean this off if its possible?

Pat Purcell

Re: weathered windows
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 10:40:34 pm »
If you can reach them trad, then scrubbing with 000 wire wool while they are soaped up might shift it, Ive also used oven cleaner, but its not easy to use safely, test a spot first to make sure you are not doing any damage
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

tacky

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 10:51:32 pm »
try cillit bang i think thats the name .get the spray version . shifts most stuff .only bout 2 pound . n always handy keep in van

xxmattyxx

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 10:33:41 am »
I did a new clean yesterday, with this on the glass, its like graining. Where you clean the pane and although the grime has come off theres an embedded element left on the glass.
It was still there after having done a number of panes 4 or 5 times.

Im hoping it'll be gone after a few visits. Good reason to encourage regular cleans.

dai

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 10:20:11 am »
I have seen some windows like this, they are actually sand blasted.
Are these windows near the coast or sand dunes? DAI

windolene

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 05:11:09 pm »
Hi,

Oldish houses near train stations get covererd in train brake dust.

Kevin WINDOLENE.

ronnie paton

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 04:52:32 pm »
its in the centre of manchester and there defo not going to pay >:(

i did explain due to the state of the windows and the time they have not been cleaned then they maynot come up to great.

i need a solution to get them better, i could use a cherry picker ans some kind of solution if anyone knows of anything??

Feen

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 06:57:35 pm »
If they are not going to pay and are that bad, cut your losses.
Feen

ronnie paton

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 07:10:32 pm »
i just think they feel hard done by paying has they havent come up to what they expected.

I wont just be walking away i will be expecting payment what ever and will take it all the way im sure they wont want the bad publicity

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 07:14:10 pm »
i just think they feel hard done by paying has they havent come up to what they expected.

I wont just be walking away i will be expecting payment what ever and will take it all the way im sure they wont want the bad publicity

Ronnie, you're letting yourself in for some serious grief :'(

See my post on another forum

Rob_Mac

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 10:42:47 pm »
Ronnie

Check out other site - where I have replied

Rob ;D

ronnie paton

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 01:53:01 pm »
Went to day used some crystal clear(i think its called)only did spot check but it came up a hundred times better they have not seen it yet but i think we can come to a comprimise.

It took a few scrubs but came off (not perfect) will have to show them and revise the price and fingers crossed we can sort this out!

Davew

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 04:09:37 pm »
What did you apply the crystal clear with? I've found it good stuff on the few water splashed windows i get. Maybe apply it with a white scourer?

simon knight

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 05:17:17 pm »

I thought we were paid to clean the dirt off  windows...not bring them up like they were installed yesterday.

Unless of course we're paid to...but then that's a different price.

ronnie paton

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 05:19:06 pm »
i tried white scourer but a cloth or scrim worked better and quicker.

these windows are weird it wont come off no matter if i do it trad 10 times but when i use this stuff and rub it quite abit it seemed to graduly get lots better.
there not water marks though just weathered.

ronnie paton

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 05:23:13 pm »
yes simon but these windows havent been cleaned in 15 + years and i explained they may not come up great but they wanted me to go ahead.
after i finished the job they said they couldnt tell a difference and wouldnt be willing to pay for that job and asked me to come up with a solution.

So this is what iv tried to do and i will explain the cost to the director and if he agrees i will get the quote signed and half payment made.

Hopefully this will make us both happy, is really dirty windows cleaned so they can be seen through and i get a paid(and a good pay day at that) 8)

gmcs

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 06:15:58 pm »
If you sure it is brake dust I clean railway carriages and the windows on the outside have to be done every 2 days or so as it is a heritage railway (steam) ! The brake dust will come off with a white pad and TFR at about a 50/50 mix for the first clean then just maintanace cleans every few days and good going over every month with TFR but they pay for this  ;D

gmcs

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 07:20:54 pm »
I have also used aproduct called Stainless supplied by Chemex but be carefull if there is any old paint it HAS to be rinsed off almost straight away or it could leave marks ---- But very good I pay abour £15.00 for 5ltrs but you can dilute this to 50 to 1