This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paulodn1

How often do u wash applicator sleeve
« on: November 06, 2007, 01:36:41 pm »
Hi Guys nearly ready to start cleaning the windows of my first customers.

Cple of questions.

1) How oftn do i need to wash my applicator sleeve.

2) i have bought scrim, how often do i wash these, and when im cleaning windows how many cloths / scrims is it advisable to have on my person, and what do i do lol. Do i applicate , squeedgy and then scrim witha dry cloth?

3) do i need a wet cloth? if so what for?

4) i only have a 3 x 1.5 m extension pole to clean windows that are hard to reach i.e above porches etc any hints and tips on this or is it justlike it says on the tin? swap ure applicator on to it, apply to windows swap squeedgy on to it and remove water. when doing this i take it it is hard to cry around windows and sills using extension pole is it? how do you overcome this?

5) How often do i change the water? i was told to take a bucket with me (obviously) and fill with approx 8/10 litres and this should be ebough for a full day? any other takes on this?

Any other last minute tips before i venture out on my first jobs.

Thanks

Paul

Neil271052

Re: How often do u wash applicator sleeve
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 01:58:31 pm »
A few answers YMMV.

1. Depends how many jobs you do per day but I would do it every day after work.

2. You would probably want half a dozen scrims as they get wet and don't dry easily this time of year. Microfibres are very good also.

3. Wet cloth for small windows you can't squeegee, leaded lights and sills.

4. You want a rotating squeegee handle so you can adjust for different angles and hard to access places when using your pole.

5. You can always take a plastic barrel of water with you for top ups but many customers have outside taps/hoses you can use.

Good luck.  :)
Cheers,
Neil

Helen

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 02:41:43 pm »
as Neil has already said. Paul, have you cleaned any windows yet??? You give the impression that you may need to practise on your own quite a fews times before you go out into the general public. :)

paulodn1

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 03:35:15 pm »
LOL

Hi Helen

Neil didnt actually ask if i had cleaned any windows yet helen, and i see myself as a fairly intelligent guy who has run several small businesses in the past, so without appearing rude i would think it was absolutely necessary to practice before i got out to customers. This is something i have been doing, with the exception fo those finer points that may assist me in doing a better job. That is why i asked the questions that i did (just covering some litle doubts i had). So i would much rather appreciate in the future if in response to posts i put on the forum, that they are in relation to the questions that i have asked for help with. Best Regards

Paul

Helen

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 04:58:41 pm »
Paul, what I meant was that my answers would be as Neil has already said in his post.  ;)
Personally I would make sure that you take more than one applicator sleeve per day as with first cleans it could be filthy after the first house. Change/wash when dirty.
Always take more cloths/scrims/equipment than you should need, just in case of emergencies.
By you asking what order do you do things in gave the impression that you may need to practise :) :)
I have known people think that they could just arm themselves with equipment and clean for real without practise, hence load of complaints and no repeat business. No offence meant before ;D

xxmattyxx

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 05:04:50 pm »
So i would much rather appreciate in the future if in response to posts i put on the forum, that they are in relation to the questions that i have asked for help with. Best Regards

Paul

Im sure we can try to bear that in mind, any other requests, wishes, preferences?

No? Ok.

Just one thing though, most window-cleaners are thick as, so you may find your out of your depth here, we do tend to complicate things when really theres no need whatsoever.

Please bear with us.

Matt

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 05:08:44 pm »
Wouldn't worry too much about your washer sleeve.
Just squeeze the dirt out now and again if it seems dirty.

I've probably actually washed mine 3 or 4 times in 10 years.
Never get any problems or complaints.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 05:49:44 pm »
Hi Guys nearly ready to start cleaning the windows of my first customers.

Cple of questions.

1) How oftn do i need to wash my applicator sleeve.

2) i have bought scrim, how often do i wash these, and when im cleaning windows how many cloths / scrims is it advisable to have on my person, and what do i do lol. Do i applicate , squeedgy and then scrim witha dry cloth?

3) do i need a wet cloth? if so what for?

4) i only have a 3 x 1.5 m extension pole to clean windows that are hard to reach i.e above porches etc any hints and tips on this or is it justlike it says on the tin? swap ure applicator on to it, apply to windows swap squeedgy on to it and remove water. when doing this i take it it is hard to cry around windows and sills using extension pole is it? how do you overcome this?

5) How often do i change the water? i was told to take a bucket with me (obviously) and fill with approx 8/10 litres and this should be ebough for a full day? any other takes on this?

Any other last minute tips before i venture out on my first jobs.

Thanks

Paul

1.  Well if you want the truth, I would use an applicator sleeve for years without EVER washing it - unless there was some grit in it that might scratch a window.  However, it would get dunked into the bucket enough times to count as a rinse of sorts and I would often run my hand lightly over it to work in detergent.

2.  Again I wouldn't wash scrim very much either.  I would ensure that any I used for leaded or georgian windows was kept clean as the whole pane is in contact with the scrim at some point but for plain glass, if you avoid soaping up to the very edges and squeegee the liquid off properly, you don't need to detail very much at all so scrim isn't used much.  This works best if there is no spare rubber at the end of the squeegee channel.

3.  Not a wet cloth but a slightly damp one well wrung out for leaded and georgian windows.  This one and any dry ones you follow up with need to be kept reasonably clean.

4.  This does take a bit of practice.  Best to not soap up to the very edges.  Then use the squeegee to "cut in".  When pulling the pole and squeegee on the downward stroke, make sure that the horizontal squeegee is slightly higher at the end you are working towards.  This will ensure that any liquid remaining on the glass will leave the squeegee at one end only - the one where your next downward stroke will be.  Easier to do than to explain really.  This works best if there is no spare rubber at the end of the squeegee channel.

5.  You won't be surprised to hear that I would go a full day (and longer) with the same water.  It just doesn't get dirty very often if you are only using it to lightly dunk an applicator into. Again, ther main exception to this is if you are doing lewaded or georgian.  Also, it's usually best to work with the applicator sleeve as dry as you can get away with.  The only exception to this in my experience is if you are doing very large panes such as shop windows where a wet applicator actually makes life a bit easier.  Generally, with the notable exception of first cleans, it is better not to soap up to the very edge but to reach the edge with the squeegee rubber instead.  This will cut out most of the detailing with the result that far less scrims will be needed.  It takes practise.

I realise that my answers may make me sound like a dirty slob but don't knock it until you've tried it.  I over detailed for years wasting precious time and getting through maybe 20 scrims a day on the damp atmospere days until someone showed me a better way.  You don't have to waste the years that I did.

paul saunders

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 05:53:35 pm »
So i would much rather appreciate in the future if in response to posts i put on the forum, that they are in relation to the questions that i have asked for help with. Best Regards

Paul

Im sure we can try to bear that in mind, any other requests, wishes, preferences?

No? Ok.

Just one thing though, most window-cleaners are thick as poop, so you may find your out of your depth here, we do tend to complicate things when really theres no need whatsoever.

Please bear with us.

Matt

PMSL ;D ;D
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 07:29:09 pm »
Just one thing though, most window-cleaners are thick as poop, so you may find your out of your depth here, we do tend to complicate things when really theres no need whatsoever.

And there's no spell check facility either on here, so you're up against it  ;D

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 10:42:28 pm »
I used to wash my sleeves every night ready for the next day.  Wondered if it was worth it, then I did some work with a friend who only washed his applicator sleeve every few months.  We were both doing the same amount of work but he couldn't understand why my bucket of water was still clean after 10 house and his was black.  I'd wash it, why put dirt back on the windows.  I'm pretty sure that they wear out faster though if you keep washing them.

Tip on the pole, don't mop up to the very top of the window and wipe your blade in between swipes if you can.

Simon.

NWH

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 10:46:11 pm »
The key is to have quite a few of them and alternate them when it comes to washing them therefore they wont wear out so quickly,if you don`t wash them they will rott and the ends will go in them.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 12:44:13 am »
Since I discovered Microfibres I use them for everything. Frames, sills and detailing. My scrims are redundant.

On leaded, if I'm not WFPing them, I use an atomiser or very damp microfibre followed by a dry microfibre. Does the trick every time. And much quicker than a scrim.

Thing with microfibres is they don't dry out as fast as scrims, so I've found I need to keep a larger supply of dry ones in the vehicle.

Something else you might consider carrying in your bucket is a small bottle of whatever detergent you favour. I use GG3 or 4 dependinding on what water I'm using. Soft or hard.

As for dryng around windows using an extension pole, I've often put a folded microfibre on the end of the pole and used this. Bit tricky at first but you get used to it.

Hope this helps.

All the best with your venture.

Richy L

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 04:11:32 pm »
Since I discovered Microfibres I use them for everything. Frames, sills and detailing. My scrims are redundant.

On leaded, if I'm not WFPing them, I use an atomiser or very damp microfibre followed by a dry microfibre. Does the trick every time. And much quicker than a scrim.

Thing with microfibres is they don't dry out as fast as scrims, so I've found I need to keep a larger supply of dry ones in the vehicle.

Something else you might consider carrying in your bucket is a small bottle of whatever detergent you favour. I use GG3 or 4 dependinding on what water I'm using. Soft or hard.

As for dryng around windows using an extension pole, I've often put a folded microfibre on the end of the pole and used this. Bit tricky at first but you get used to it.

...what he said

i wash my sleeve about every 6 months. If you clean a really dirty window, you can always give it a wash out with someones outside tap. thats what i do.

I would definately get some microfibres though, worth every penny. and get a few microfibre sill cloths, they are great too.

haggis

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 04:24:43 pm »
Once a week for your applicator.

Take at least three scrims with you, one to use, one drying if wet,  and one spare if you drop one.

a wet cloth for frames and sills, rinse after every use.

Remember these are the rules I go by,  but I only do domestics with ladders Trad style.

remember and buy a scraper only a couple o quid from Scrim city.

any more advise needed let me know.
God loves a tryer but trying tae clean windaes in the rain - It's a mugs game

Ian_Giles

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 04:56:06 pm »
LOL

Hi Helen

Neil didnt actually ask if i had cleaned any windows yet helen, and i see myself as a fairly intelligent guy who has run several small businesses in the past, so without appearing rude i would think it was absolutely necessary to practice before i got out to customers. This is something i have been doing, with the exception fo those finer points that may assist me in doing a better job. That is why i asked the questions that i did (just covering some litle doubts i had). So i would much rather appreciate in the future if in response to posts i put on the forum, that they are in relation to the questions that i have asked for help with. Best Regards

Paul

I know you dressed up your reply politely, but that is still a tad condescending methinks...

you really need to go with someone for a morning so they can show you how to do the job: I've had guys work for me where it has taken them months to get the hang of it.
I have almost tore my hair out with frustration at times over how long it can take them to use the squeegee correctly...and the amount of scrims (or now microfibres) that newbies go through!!!

Pole work on domestic windows is a real artform, don't expect to do even a halfway decent job with that for quite a while....

Washing of sleeves?
If you are fussed about it, pop it into the wash with your scrims/microfibre each week.
I've been WFP for over 3 years now, My applicator and sleeve is the same one I was using when I was 100% trad, and it was a couple of years old then, it's in the bucket covered in water all the time...rot they don't!

Wet cloth....start it as a dry cloth and use it for your frames & sills when it is too damp for detailing.

If you go down the route of using a damp cloth (scrim or micro) for cleaning smaller panes and then buffing dry, keep a separate one for that, the one you use for sills and frames will be too dirty.
I personally prefer to use a proprietary window cleaning spray (the Tesco own brand one is excellent, and very cheap too) a light misting and buff dry & clean with a dry cloth.
A single bucket of water should last you all day.

But have lots of scrims/microfibres, you will go through shed loads to begin with.
Personally, I can get by with just a couple of cloths a day (when 100% trad) but that only comes after a a lot of experienced has been gained.

Best of luck on your new venture.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 05:54:54 pm »
But have lots of scrims/microfibres, you will go through shed loads to begin with.
Personally, I can get by with just a couple of cloths a day (when 100% trad) but that only comes after a a lot of experienced has been gained.
A couple!
Pah! Amateur. ;D

I've only used one for years! :P

D woods

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 06:38:35 pm »
When I was window cleaning full time, myself and all the top guys I new at that time would only ever have one scrim and we would wash them out and dry them sometimes as much as ten times a day.

Some of the things I read on here about how people clean windows I find absolutely amazing.

paulodn1

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 01:07:09 am »
Lots of good info there .
Superb.

Thanks Everyone

Paul.