Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian W

Inside windows
« on: November 04, 2007, 12:35:52 pm »
I have been asked to do some inside windows for a customer.

I haven't done insides before, but want to give it my best shot. I have read lots of posts here, but am still unsure about the best way to reach the higher windows inside.

What do you use?

Thanks guys
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Re: Inside windows
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 12:37:37 pm »
I have been asked to do some inside windows for a customer.

I haven't done insides before, but want to give it my best shot. I have read lots of posts here, but am still unsure about the best way to reach the higher windows inside.

What do you use?

Thanks guys's
do you have a telecopic pole? that what I use, sometimes ladders.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 12:38:42 pm »
Step ladders or an extending pole
If using steps either have a pair for just inside you dont want to put dirty marks on customers carpets or have a mat to put them on

Dean

elite mike

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:31:30 pm »
make sure u dont break any thing
mike

Richy L

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 02:17:30 pm »
a little A ladder is handy.
about 6-7ft tall.

Ian can you clean trad, or did you start off WFP?

Davew

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 04:21:42 pm »
I've only recently had to do trad, if you've not done it before using a pole trad is another step up the ladder so to speak.

Richy L

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 04:28:17 pm »
i wouldnt use a pole if i was you.
just make sure you put a scrim/micro uner patio door windows when cleaning them to catch the dirty water incase it goes on the carpet.

Davew

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 04:30:06 pm »
pole is an art in itself imo. :o

Ian W

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 04:31:17 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think I will use a stepladder solely for inside use. I think a pole will be difficult to use in this environment.

I have made it a condition that there are no objects around the windows, so I hope I won't break anything.

I don't do wfp, so yes I clean trad.
Charles Dickens

rugby

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 12:06:02 am »
small step ladder for me,and i always keep a clean pair or trainers in the van for inside work,did a big house once and walked mud all over their very expensive carpet,boy was i popular  :-[

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 08:25:04 am »
To appear a little more pro buy some blue overshoes so as not to leave any size 9 prints around the place.
Or more polite still, take your shoes off whenever you go into anyone's house!

Davie T

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 10:12:59 am »
Sub contract the job to an established trad w.c.

Ian W

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 11:18:45 am »
Some more good ideas - thanks!

Thanks for suggesting sub the work out, but I will never learn how to do inside if I did that! ;D
Charles Dickens

Helen

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 12:10:26 pm »
Ian W, just a tip for this time of year, make sure you blade and scrim well, as windows tend to mist up this time of year in the evening when people cook or turn heating on....then comes the test to see if you have done a good job or not, mist/steam shows every little mark for blading and scrimming, also have clothing on that you can easily remove.....oooooer missus! Some people have their house temperatures like infernos and you can sweat buckets in these! ;D

Ian W

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 12:50:33 pm »
Thanks Helen. I hadn't thought about taking my clothes off in the customer's house! :o
My customers keep telling me that I do a good job, so I hope it will be good inside too. Perhaps it will give me a chance to review my work standards.
Charles Dickens

Jake

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 04:21:24 pm »
Ian

I'm only 5' 4" and rarely use steps inside, a hop up/crate usually is enough. Customers love it if you put on the blue overshoes as previously suggested, it shows respect. Get them from places like Greenhams. Beds up under windows can be a pain, watch getting dirty water on the covers !!

One thing about doing insides, you get to see how well you detail the outsides!!
Exeter, Devon

NWH

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 05:22:16 pm »
Never get water on oak window frames or sills inside of houses,it will stain like mad.After a while the wood will end up looking like maple.

Davew

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 05:47:27 pm »
I did the insides of a school - no problem first time squeegeing too. What i have noticed though is that some of the trad guys near me seem to have a mass of bubbles/lather when they clean outside. I used just enough liquid to give me slip but not enough to really froth up and so had very little water to run over the sills/carpet. Results seemed ok to me. I have previously tried several sprays and microfibres but they all smeared like mad.

Ian W

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 07:53:56 pm »
Jake, I am only a little taller at 5'7". I struggle to reach some of the tall windows on the outside with a ladder that reaches halfway up the frames. There really are some big windows on my little round. I was thinking of a step up, but don't think I will reach the top.

NWH, that's a good tip for oak frames. I don't think there will be too many in the city I live in, but definitely worth lnowing about.

Dave, I try to keep the soap to a minimum and the windows come up lovely. I shall do the same on the inside with minimum water too.
Charles Dickens

tonyoliver

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 08:29:49 pm »
CLEAN WATER FOR THE INSIDES A MUST ON cream carpts

why oh why are all the inside jobs got cream or white carpets witjh white sofas ect and filthy windowsthat havent been cleaned for eaons