Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Hot Marketing
« on: November 03, 2007, 08:51:46 pm »
You lot, are the closest thing i've got to co- directors and I would value your opinions of my marketing of my new van mounted hot system to domestic customers?

How do you think I should go about this? Have you any words or phrases that I should use or avoid?

LOVEme

Re: Hot Marketing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:01:12 pm »
Easy... would you like your windows cleaned!

AW 

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 06:35:51 am »
I'm a bit disapppointed with this response and as a result I will be less willing to share solid information in future on this fast advancing opportunity. I can see why the other early adopters choose not to disclose too much either.

I didn't say I didn't already have some ideas, I was asking for input. The forum is about exchanging ideas, and while there is a place for smart and flippant comments, there are other occassions where it's possible something has gone completely over your head because you were too busy being smart.

Neil271052

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:27:46 am »
I have no idea of what a van mounted hot system is........but you bought it so you must know the advantages to customers.

Or are there in fact no advantages to domestic customers, just the operator and you are trying to make some up?
Cheers,
Neil

pingu

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 07:43:52 am »
I think that selling you would be the better avenue to persue and not the technology....I would seriously doubt that many will want to get too involved in the details of your system.

But I would try and sell 'you' ...honest, regular, insurance, council registered (if applies).

Dave.

Davew

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 07:56:11 am »
None of my customers give a toss whats in the back of my van, most don't even listen when i explain it's pure water and still insist on showing me where the outside tap is! ::)

Davo

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 07:56:39 am »
Your hot water system has unique selling propositions over ordinary water fed pole systems so I think that it is vital that you market these diferences.

Heated pure water absorbs grime and dirt more easily, dries faster than cold pure water. So you need to tell the customer this in a way that is easy for them to understand. I think you already have an advantage because customers equate heat with cleaning, it makes sense in their mind that hot water will clean things better than cold.

How you put this message accross really depends on your own personal preferences and the image you want to convey to your customers.

Do you want to rebrand your business or add this new system to your existing image?

Whatever you do the customer needs to be in no doubt that you offer the latest in window cleaning technology. If you would like me to offer you some examples please ask.

Good luck with your new system.

Mark

Davew

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 08:30:35 am »
Sorry but i can't agree on that at all. The only benefit is to the operator giving possibly a quicker wash. I have a carbon pole if i advertise that will it get me all the work from the people using fibreglass - no. Does wfp get me all the trad customers out there - no
It might get me commercial work due to health and safety but thats all.

Davo

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 09:09:07 am »
Sorry but i can't agree on that at all. The only benefit is to the operator giving possibly a quicker wash. I have a carbon pole if i advertise that will it get me all the work from the people using fibreglass - no. Does wfp get me all the trad customers out there - no
It might get me commercial work due to health and safety but thats all.

I think youre missing the point of the original post, wether this system is better than cold pure water is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT He has asked for advice on how he can market this system to his customers.

The system he has purchased is different to cold pure water that is a fact. I presume he chose this system over other systems for a reason.

Also you state that the operator "may give a quicker wash" why do you think this is????

Mark

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 09:16:01 am »
You seem happy to have your new hot water system and thats great, as for marketing it to domestic customers, imo i would not spead to much time or money, because at the end of the day it is water, they want their windows cleaned. Put it on your website for sure. comments made that how water cleans better has to be true, the only thing I find flimsy in the comments is the drying time, yes it may take a little less time to dry (reason I say this because as soon as it hits glass it is cooling, it is not a wonder product it is just warm water that goes cold very quickly.
I feel giving to much info to a domestic customers would be information overload, yes will help you in selling your service, as this is another selling point to new customers, but old customers do they really need or want to know about the system or is it you that wants to show off your new system to your customers? (please do not take that as a swipe at you it is not) I too was the same when I got my new system, and there is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about it, and everyone would be the same.

Going off topic quickly: I myself would like to see test results on hot water against the cold system that gives a fair judgement on both just to see if it is a marketing spin by the big companies selling the systems. Results I saw did not fill me full of confidence  (I think it is down to the operator)

Davew

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 09:29:06 am »
I'm not knocking the system i'm sure it's great and worth every extra penny. I just don't think your average customer cares a jot about the temperature of the water. So i can't see any point in trying to sell it to them. Just my opinion.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 09:32:42 am »
I'm not knocking the system i'm sure it's great and worth every extra penny. I just don't think your average customer cares a jot about the temperature of the water. So i can't see any point in trying to sell it to them. Just my opinion.
Dave you seem blunt like me, I tend to agree with you, I think what the guy is looking for is opinions on it and a full explaination to that opinion.

He is write on the second post he made about what people write, but everyone is different thats what makes this forum interesting IMO

rugby

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 09:38:36 am »
None of my customers give a toss whats in the back of my van, most don't even listen when i explain it's pure water and still insist on showing me where the outside tap is! ::)

i totaly agree,some times when you are explaining to a customer about pure water and the system i use you can see their eyes glazing over and a blank look on their face,i think  with the right marketing plan  your hot water system could bring dividends in the commercial world,but domestic custys waste of time.

Davew

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 09:41:05 am »
I don't mean to be blunt i'm just trying to see it if it were me. I've posted before about how customers care little about how shiney your van is, how much you've spent on your system etc. Mine just want their windows cleaned regularly and as cheaply as possible the fact that you use pure water makes little difference to them and certainly they wouldn't be interested to find that i had warm water. Maybe my customers are all thick?

Davo

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 09:42:47 am »

I appreciate your point of view, however if you were given a choice of having something cleaned with cold water or hot water what would you choose?

I think most customers will respond better to a method that uses hot water for cleaning than for cold. A point to justify this is that the washing powder industry developed cold water powders many many years ago that cleaned just as well as a hot water powder,  customers didnt want them, they wanted hot water washing powder.( And the companies spent millions trying to find a way to get customers to  buy them)

The really important part of this is that IT IS THE CUSTOMERS PERCEPTION OF WHAT YOU OR YOUR PRODUCT OFFERS THAT COUNTS.

Mark

Davew

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 09:44:28 am »
Exactly ::)

Davew

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 09:47:38 am »
I think if you have a system that wastes no water, recycles dirty water, then you have a major advantage over your competitors especially if you can still compete on price.

Davew

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 09:50:45 am »
Just another stupid thought - if your trad cleaner used hotter water than his competitor would it get him more work. "my man wears marigolds and uses the hottest water in town".

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 09:53:17 am »
Just another stupid thought - if your trad cleaner used hotter water than his competitor would it get him more work. "my man wears marigolds and uses the hottest water in town".
may be stupid thought maybe not, but it is a valid point.

Davo

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 12:06:52 pm »

All things being equal if the customer thought that hotter water would clean her windows better remove all grime completely etc etc then YES the man with the hottest water would gain more work.

Why?.....Because the customer believes they are getting something better, and thats what counts.

Mark