This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

xxmattyxx

Re: Lost my best paying job
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2007, 03:53:14 pm »
Dai, when you say administrator, do you mean someone employed for her secretarial skills or the manageress?

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2007, 04:02:29 pm »
never mind dai u might pick up a £200 on Monday

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 04:03:41 pm »
£200 job

Ian W

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 07:18:09 pm »
Perhaps you could write the same letter to both? Don't criticise, but just tell them all that you would be happy to return if needed.

Whatever happens, good luck!
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Dean Aspects

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 07:29:34 pm »
Remain professional at all times why not write a letter saying thankyou for your custom in the past and if at any point in the future you require services again please do not hesitate and call us in the mean time if you require any information on wahd and safe working practices for a nominal consultation fee you can provide the answers to any questions send two copies one to the admin and one to the owners

Dean

dai

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 09:18:19 pm »
The women I call administrator is the one who sees that the bills get paid, but never signs the cheques.
I am on friendly terms with the owners, and I don't think that they are aware of the situation.
This so called administrator Is the daughter of the last owners, her mother was an ex hospital matron, and a right dragon by all accounts.
The conversation I had with her on the phone was brief. She said "we won't want the windows done this month, we have a maintenance guy and he's doing them".
I said, "does that mean you  want to cancel my services" she replied very hesistantly "yes". It was the hesitation that made me think that the owners know nothing about it yet.
Believe me, if she was acting on the owners instruction, she would have been loud and jubilant.
I think I will write a letter thanking them for their past custom. I will also explain that, whilst they are perfectly entitled to seek new quotes, please don't allow anyone, especially inexperienced staff, to attempt to clean these windows using ladders.
I will explain about W.A H L, and the possible repercussions if an accident was to happen. It would be their head in a noose as they pay the wages, not the secretary/ administrator. Dai

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2007, 06:43:43 am »
The women I call administrator is the one who sees that the bills get paid, but never signs the cheques.
I am on friendly terms with the owners, and I don't think that they are aware of the situation.
This so called administrator Is the daughter of the last owners, her mother was an ex hospital matron, and a right dragon by all accounts.
The conversation I had with her on the phone was brief. She said "we won't want the windows done this month, we have a maintenance guy and he's doing them".
I said, "does that mean you  want to cancel my services" she replied very hesistantly "yes". It was the hesitation that made me think that the owners know nothing about it yet.
Believe me, if she was acting on the owners instruction, she would have been loud and jubilant.
I think I will write a letter thanking them for their past custom. I will also explain that, whilst they are perfectly entitled to seek new quotes, please don't allow anyone, especially inexperienced staff, to attempt to clean these windows using ladders.
I will explain about W.A H L, and the possible repercussions if an accident was to happen. It would be their head in a noose as they pay the wages, not the secretary/ administrator. Dai

OK then.  I've read this with interest.  I'm no expert but here's what you do IMO.
You write a polite letter along the lines that you have already stated.  You write it to the owners and cc it to the admistrator.
That way no perception of sour grapes.  No accusations of sneaking behind admin's back

It might even pay you to print out a small portion of the WAHD and use a highlighting pen for the relevant bit(s).
Personally, I wouldn't worry what the administrator thinks.  Like many (but by no means all) office workers, she probably sees such things theoretically rather than practically. i.e. x pounds saved, less paperwork to sort out.  She's not to be faulted for that.  She's only doing the best job she can within the incomplete knowledge that she has.
If the job is re-instated to you yes, she might get the hump with you.  A situation like this is typical of why I have tried to be more businesslike in my dealings as it reduces the impact of possible personality clashes.

dai

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2007, 11:06:55 am »
Wel this is the letter I have drafted, should I make any changes? Dai

Re-cancellation of window cleaning at xxx Derwyn;

Dear xxx and xxx
                                I am sorry to hear that you no longer require my services,
I have enjoyed working at xxx Derwyn over the last twelve months.
Of course you are free to choose who cleans the windows, or methods used in doing so, However, I would like to draw your attention to the working at height legislation introduced in April 2005.
As you are aware, all commercial premises have a duty in law to provide a safe working environment for all employees and contractors working on site.
Owners of private dwellings do not have to meet these requirements at this time.
The Savoy hotel owner’s recently had to pay a heavy fine and court costs, when a window cleaner was injured after falling from height. The use of ladders as a work platform is now severely restricted, and the legislation states that ladders can only be used as a last resort, having first considered all safer options.
You tell me that the window cleaning is now to be part of the new maintenance mans duties. This is the area of my concern. The thought of someone with maybe little experience of ladder work, or window cleaning attempting to clean the windows at xxx Derwyn using ladders.
xxx Derwyn has some windows that should never be attempted using ladders.
The windows over the conservatory and glass walkway are particularly dangerous, as is the glass roof itself, and the bay window near the new entrance. The close proximity of the old annexe makes it difficult to set the correct ladder angle.
I can understand that in the present economic climate, cutting costs is a priority in any business, but if an employee of xxx Derwyn were to suffer a fatal accident, whilst attempting to clean these windows using ladders, serious criminal charges would ensue.
Seek alternative quotes by all means, but please don’t allow anyone, to attempt to clean these windows using ladders.
I hope every thing goes smoothly with the commissioning of the new annexe.

If I can be of any service to you in the future, please call me at any time.

Yours sincerely

-For Damayah window cleaning services

Helen

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2007, 12:26:10 pm »
Dai, where you have put "fatal accident", IMO you should put words to the effect of "any accident causing injury or in worse case fatality"..... what do you think? Otherwise I thimk your letter is spot on   :)

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2007, 12:37:45 pm »
Dai, where you have put "fatal accident", IMO you should put words to the effect of "any accident causing injury or in worse case fatality"..... what do you think? Otherwise I thimk your letter is spot on   :)
Helens opinion is a good one IMO  :-X

dai

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2007, 02:52:04 pm »
Duly amended, thanks guys. Dai

AuRavelling79

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2007, 10:24:03 pm »
Good letter, Dai.
It's a game of three halves!

bluez

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2007, 10:26:14 pm »
Probably in the minority here but if I recieved that letter from a service provider I would feel like I was being lectured and would be very reluctant to re use the person who sent it.

This letter in my opinion gives the impression that you are the only person who is capable of interpreting the wah legs.

What about something a bit less in your face like............

" there have been many recent changes to legislation governing Working at height and I would urge you to consider the ramifications of using a service provider who is not experienced in this regard as the penalty for business owners is punitive." I would be happy to advise you in this regard as I am very appreciative of the business you have put my way over the past year and would like to think that my services may be of use to you and your business at a future date.

Many Thanks for your custom, please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance etc.

:)
hi

AuRavelling79

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2007, 10:30:39 pm »

This letter in my opinion gives the impression that you are the only person who is capable of interpreting the wah legs.

Using legs comes under WAH? True - but only if they are stilts. ;D
It's a game of three halves!

quantum cleaning

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2007, 10:33:17 pm »
Dai your worth more than the price you charged £75 .00 for 2 .5 hours work its there loss

Neil271052

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2007, 07:23:09 am »
Probably in the minority here but if I recieved that letter from a service provider I would feel like I was being lectured and would be very reluctant to re use the person who sent it.

I definitely agree.

What about something a bit less in your face like............

" there have been many recent changes to legislation governing Working at height and I would urge you to consider the ramifications of using a service provider who is not experienced in this regard as the penalty for business owners is punitive." I would be happy to advise you in this regard as I am very appreciative of the business you have put my way over the past year and would like to think that my services may be of use to you and your business at a future date.

Many Thanks for your custom, please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance etc.

:)

Definitely better and far less confrontational IMO.

Personally I don't think you will get the job back as people don't like to be made to look foolish or as if they have made a bad decision so I would personally  forget all about it.
Cheers,
Neil

Ian W

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 12:31:10 pm »
I agree with bluez.

The original letter says to me that you are the only one that can do the job properly, and don't employ anyone else to do it otherwise you will end up breaking the law. (This may, or may not, be the case in this instance.)

Bluez suggestion seems pretty good, why not use that?
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

williamx

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2007, 04:28:51 pm »
Dai

I would take the letter and give it to the adminstrator along witha copy of the 2005 whah directive.

I would explain that a copy has also gone to the Owners and your local Heath and Safety Officer.