This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dai

Lost my best paying job
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:20:16 pm »
I knew it was coming sooner rather than later, my best paying job has cancelled.
This was a care home I did for £73.50, 2 1/2 hrs work.
The problem wasn't with the owners, it was with the woman administrator. She was as jealous as hell that I was earning more for my morning, than she did for the day.
OK, I'm pi55ed off at losing the job, but what really concerns me, is that they are now employing a maintenance guy who is going to do the windows.
Now this is an old building with some very awkward windows, I would never attempt to do some of these windows trad, even in my mad young days.
Windows over a conservatory roof, window over a glass roofed walk way.
some widows are so close to adjoining buildings that the ladder angle would be far too steep for comfort.
Some guy is going to feel obliged to try and tackle these windows as it's a part of his job description. He may have very limited ladder experience, and even less cleaning windows.
Should I write to the owners about my concerns? They are very nice Filipino people. I dare say they are expert at providing nursing and care, do they have a clue about the danger they are putting themselves in.
In the worse case scenario, it would be them facing a corporate manslaughter charges, not the administrator.

Does anyone have the link to that article about some place getting fined, and having to pay a million quid compensation?

Your thoughts please guys, Dai

nat

Re: Lost my best paying job
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:25:40 pm »
unlucky Dai, its not nice to lose any contract, do you think that maybe contacting the owners is the right thing to do? i suppose it depends what kind of relationship you have which i suppose only you will know? I would probably sit tight myself for around 3/4 months, wait for the dust to settle then maybe ring the lady administrator, be polite and see if you can swing her round, by then you will know wether their emloyee is doing a good enough job or not by then.

brightnclean

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:27:07 pm »
Usually lost jobs I put down to experience and just move on but in this case I would share your concerns.

Firstly did you do ALL the upstairs windows WFP?

If the owners are not aware of the WAHD and the possible consequences and are decent people like you say I would definately contact them about this.

Sorry but I don't have a link Dai  :(

dai

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 08:40:55 pm »
Bright And Clean, I WFP the lot, including all frames and exterior pvc cladding and doors. Some of these window are a challenge, even for WFP. Dai

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »
Dai:

I wouldn't give a monkeys what the woman administrator thinks about you.

Contact the owners and persuade them to read the Work At Height Regulations and emphasise that whoever deals with any tradesmen working on their property (probably the woman administrator) is responsible for ensuring all safety  methods are adhered to and when accidents happen that they are liable for failing in their duties to maintain correct safety measures.

brightnclean

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 09:14:14 pm »
Dai:

I wouldn't give a monkeys what the woman administrator thinks about you.

Contact the owners and persuade them to read the Work At Height Regulations and emphasise that whoever deals with any tradesmen working on their property (probably the woman administrator) is responsible for ensuring all safety  methods are adhered to and when accidents happen that they are liable for failing in their duties to maintain correct safety measures.

In the light of you doing the lot WFP I couldn't agree more with this!!!

Forget the jealous idiot and get on to the owners mate.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 09:16:20 pm »
I would go direct aswell, sod the admin lady, go to the top at least you will feel better even if nothing comes of it. You never know she may well get a telling off for it, and i am guessing that would be a plus for you Dai.

think of it in a positive light you now have another 2.5 hours to fill with quality work  ;)

rehcra

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 09:20:58 pm »
CONTACT THE OWNERS,

simple as that, dont take any s--- off some stuck up bitch who thinks shes the major decision maker,

her husbands probebly a ponce who accepts what she says instead of giving her a backhander      >:(

trevor perry

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »
i would just try to leave on good terms see the administrator and say to her that you realise she is trying to save money but if it doesnt work out for her she can feel free to call you back , if it such a bad job as you say at least you wont of upset her and when a problem does arise it will be you she rings and not another company and then i doubt she will pull this stunt on you again, and even if she doesnt ring back at least you will have come accross more proffessional .
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 09:31:15 pm »
i would just try to leave on good terms see the administrator and say to her that you realise she is trying to save money but if it doesnt work out for her she can feel free to call you back , if it such a bad job as you say at least you wont of upset her and when a problem does arise it will be you she rings and not another company and then i doubt she will pull this stunt on you again, and even if she doesnt ring back at least you will have come accross more proffessional .
Nothing wrong with being professional, but if a person in a company thinks above there station I go straight above their head, this is more professional IMO, I do not have to please an admin, it is the people that pay the bills, write the cheques and say ya or nay that I impress. to many little big people about IMO

trevor perry

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 09:36:33 pm »
windowwasher i think that sometimes you are right and it can depend what sort of mood you are in on the day or how much the person has got under your skin .
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 09:41:38 pm »
I knew it was coming sooner rather than later, my best paying job has cancelled.
This was a care home I did for £73.50, 2 1/2 hrs work.
The problem wasn't with the owners, it was with the woman administrator. She was as jealous as hell that I was earning more for my morning, than she did for the day.
OK, I'm pi55ed off at losing the job, but what really concerns me, is that they are now employing a maintenance guy who is going to do the windows.
Now this is an old building with some very awkward windows, I would never attempt to do some of these windows trad, even in my mad young days.
Windows over a conservatory roof, window over a glass roofed walk way.
some widows are so close to adjoining buildings that the ladder angle would be far too steep for comfort.
Some guy is going to feel obliged to try and tackle these windows as it's a part of his job description. He may have very limited ladder experience, and even less cleaning windows.
Should I write to the owners about my concerns? They are very nice Filipino people. I dare say they are expert at providing nursing and care, do they have a clue about the danger they are putting themselves in.
In the worse case scenario, it would be them facing a corporate manslaughter charges, not the administrator.

Does anyone have the link to that article about some place getting fined, and having to pay a million quid compensation?

Your thoughts please guys, Dai
Its always sad when we loose a god paying customer, but always be polite and professional in dealing with the administrator.

I would ask her how the maintenance guy intends to clean the windows, if the reply is from a ladder then you can voice your concerns, they may have well purchased a wfp system them selfs? Its a bigger outlay in the beginning but overall it works out cheaper for them, This has happened to a mate of mine a couple of months back.

Sit down and think of the pros and cons that may affect what you say or do.

But then again how would you feel if the maintenance guy was to fall from his ladder or worse still, fell through a glass roof?
Or you can just put it all behind you and down to experience, its a decision  only you can make. what ever it is good luck dia. ;)

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:41:50 pm »
windowwasher i think that sometimes you are right and it can depend what sort of mood you are in on the day or how much the person has got under your skin .
lol Trev, not sure how to take that m8, I will take it as you are being nice to me  ;D I do seem to wear my heart on my sleeve alot, but always try to cover it when I am doing business, you see I am to honest and straight to the point with everyone, this could be a problem, but thats me  ;) doing ok from it though

trevor perry

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 09:49:57 pm »
just reread my post sorry it could be read wrong ,i was agreeing with you

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 09:55:32 pm »
just reread my post sorry it could be read wrong ,i was agreeing with you
Trevor I look on the positve side of life m8, I read things the same way  ;)

I am glad you was agreeing with me  ;D  :P

Helen

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 10:12:34 am »
CONTACT THE OWNERS,

simple as that, dont take any s--- off some stuck up bitch who thinks shes the major decision maker,

her husbands probebly a ponce who accepts what she says instead of giving her a backhander      >:(
??? :o ??? hmmmmm...no comment as I presume you are being humerous!

Dai is she the decision maker. Did she take you on for the work or did the owners? Was it a verbal agreement or a written contract. So many things to consider with this situation, my gut feeling says just write to the owners, thanking them for their past custom and that you undertsand the decision to not employ you anymore, but should you be needed in the future, please do not hesitate to contact etc etc etc. The owners may have asked her within her job spec to make these sort of decisions and there will not be a lot that you can do about that. Their maint guy may be doing nothing for hours and they are getting him to clean the windows so that he is earning his money. You will replace this work and it will be with better work ;)

gmcs

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 10:42:57 am »
Contact the owners and enclose a copy of Working At Height Regs .... Good Luck nobody likes losing jobs

bluez

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 11:36:44 am »
Agree wholeheartedly with Helen, You call her an "administrator" what does that mean, is she the decision maker or is she simply relaying the decision of the owners. Go get some new work instead of wasting time getting this womens back up and ensuring they never use you again. A simple letter thanking them for their custom and asssuring them that you are available in the future if needed will get the best results in the long run IMO. You can also point out that unlike many other people that offer these kinds of services that you are insured and are complying with the health and safety legislation etc.

I didnt like the "backhander" comment either, nothing humerous about it IMO, wouldn't like him calling to clean my missus windows.
hi

xxmattyxx

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 12:10:26 pm »
CONTACT THE OWNERS,

woah, thats a bit stiff isn't it?

She might be disagreeable, but stuck up bitch?

In addition, are you also condoning wife-beating?

Neil271052

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 02:55:41 pm »
Nothing wrong with being professional, but if a person in a company thinks above there station I go straight above their head, this is more professional IMO, I do not have to please an admin, it is the people that pay the bills, write the cheques and say ya or nay that I impress. to many little big people about IMO

Perhaps some may think that a window cleaner may be acting above his/her station to go over the managers head?

The administrator/manager has been employed by the owners and probably has their full support especially when it comes to saving money for the company?

To start writing letters to the owners above the managers head will probably be seen as sour grapes and not look professional at all.

If these people are running a care home they probably have a very good grasp of H&S. 

Leave on good terms and hopefully the job may come back.  :)
Cheers,
Neil