Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

nevil

home made Tm
« on: October 20, 2007, 09:08:11 pm »
I fired up my machine today for the first time.

The first thing I noticed is the pulling power of the blower. While not being the biggest blower on the market (sutorbilt 3006) it is imense compared with my twin vac porty.

I'm getting visions of the carpet dissappearing up the wand while i am cleaning.

I am hoping one of you can tell me how to get over the next hurdle.

When I applied the vacuum from the blower to the waste tank ( simulating wand on carpet almost stopping airflow ) the sides of the tank caved in like an empty coke bottle.

I am guessing I need to bleed some air into the in side of the blower when flow is fully restricted.

Ideally I can come up with a solution where I can Depressureize a small vessel with the blower, and somehow transfer the waste collected in it to a larger tank. Any Ideas from anyone greatlfully recieved.

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: home made Tm
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 09:21:08 pm »
You want a pressure relief valve, when the wand is stuck to the carpet it allows air to weep from it so you don't get implosion.

you could register for truckmounters.co.uk although a bit sarcastic you will get the answers you want, or perhaps if you are in Cornwall try going to Hydramster they will help anyone out.

Shaun

nevil

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 09:32:30 pm »
I can't find the truckmount site.

As far as hydramster are concerned. I am going to buy one of their big machines one day as they appear to be more approachable than any of the other big players.

For now I will have to make do with my own contraption. But I'm not sure I have the cheek to ask them about machine design.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 09:38:12 pm »
I think you will be pleasantly surprised, ask to speak with Craig, he's a really good guy and will help you no end, he wants you as a customer and know he needs to court you.

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 09:45:23 pm »
get a 6inch bolt, a 6 inch spring & a 2inch washer

drill into your wastetank then thread the bolt through the spring then into the tank with the washer and nut inside the tank, score around the 2inch washer. then remove everything so you can see the scored area.

now get a smaller drill bit and drill lots of holes inside the scored area so the that when you re-fit the washer it covers all the smaller holes.

now refit the bolt, spring & washer.

you have now got a vac relief valve by tightening the bolt you can adjust the hgs

the only way to go wrong is to use a spring that is too weak

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 09:58:53 pm »
Sorry Mike didn't want to bother you.

nevil Mike has made more 'homemade' Tm's than Prochem.

Listen and you will learn.

Shaun

nevil

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 10:10:31 pm »
Mike that so simple it is beautiful.

I guess a little bit of trial and error is need to calibrate the valve to open at the right pressure or lack of.

Thanks for the answers guys.

prodry

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 10:43:57 pm »
Mikes solution is the way to go.

I have the same system on my tm.

You can adjust the nut on the end the bolt to get the right suction you require. listen for the engine slowing down when you put your hand on the end of the hose to decide.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 10:58:40 pm »
hands down

Mike is so simple ;D

Actually he's the bomb!

Not suicidal though.

Shaun

nevil

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 11:14:33 pm »
Thanks Prodry, Wheres my upholstry tool ::)  no hard feelings I hope?

I was going to mention that when the airflow is stopped completly, the engine seriously labours. I wouldn't want to run it pushing it to that extreme, although I was pleased it handled it without any misshaps.

PaulKing

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 05:55:59 am »
can you post a picture of your progress so far ?
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

nevil

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 08:33:05 am »
Here you go.

PaulKing

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 12:21:32 pm »
I'm impressed, is that a water jacket on the exhaust are you using it to get heated water ? ( most importantly how effective is it as would like to try something like that myself to heat a pool.
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

Mike Halliday

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 12:36:07 pm »
that is a nice machine its nearly exactly the same as I'm using, same engine (its the18hp is'nt it), even the same design with the hypro pump mounted on the blower. although i'm using a 45 blower.

good job

only drawback wth that engine is you need to fill it up every 90mins on full revs

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

nevil

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 01:44:31 pm »
No heat exchanger yet, although I have made a start on one.

Yes Mike  it's a Kohler triad 18hp Ohc.

Do people really run on full revs, It seem to be out perform the porty even when ticking over.

I cannot wait to use it in anger ;D

David_Annable

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 02:25:22 pm »
Hi

Truckmounters is

http://www.truckmounters.com

I hope that isnt against the rules, if it is delete it.

Dave
NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 04:03:20 pm »
Nevil,

Fantastic job. I wish I had the ability to bolt something like that together. And I bet it's cost a couple of hundred to make. ;D

You know you have kit cars. Could someone design a T/M that could be built at home and they supply the bits and you just bolt it together.

I can see a Discovery programme coming on

A Truckmount is born.

nevil

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 04:06:58 pm »
It appears you have to fill out an excel form to sign up but what do you do with it then, there is no email link to send it to anyone know?

Dennis

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 04:54:33 pm »

nevil

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 07:01:50 pm »
Thanks for that. 

Paul I have tried a couple of differant things to get heated water but sill no joy. What about yourself. Have you had any success at it?

How are the big manufactures heat exchanges are put together. I am happy enough trying to replicate what they do. Can't see any sense in trying to reinvent the wheel.

I bet Mike Knows.

MIKE.  MIKE