This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SonOfFormby

When customer wont pay
« on: September 27, 2007, 08:20:51 pm »
Just got back from collecting (after a 9-5 day and 3 hours sleep) I cleaned a ladys windows yesterday after I started cleaning, and she came out and asked 'what are you doing' she told me she had cancelled the previous W/C but would give me a try,so did the job.Went to collect tonight and her husbands comes to the door,standing well behind her and tells me, he never asked for them to be cleaned,I said 'sir your wife asked me yesterday' to which she looked at me and remained silent, a few more words were exchanged, mat was soggy etc, and he refused to pay, and the lady still didn't say a word about agreeing for me to clean the windows.Of course I thought of loads of things to say after, so what can I do,or have I missed the opportunity to do anything now?
Also had another tonight, 'I never said you could clean my windows'.... 'but I bought this round from previous W/C(I know its not a god given right) so I'm the new W/C......'No you're not he said, I'm not paying 2 and the other one is cheaper'........... So thats 2 free cleans this week.

What do you do with scum like this ???

Lee

dazza

Re: When customer wont pay
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 08:26:22 pm »
You could ask the previous window cleaner who you bought the round off to phone them to explain that you are taking over.
Or just forget it and hope it doesn't happen again.

Maybe knock on the doors before you clean to explain that you are the new cleaner taking over from the retired chap.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 08:40:25 pm »
Just got back from collecting (after a 9-5 day and 3 hours sleep) I cleaned a ladys windows yesterday after I started cleaning, and she came out and asked 'what are you doing' she told me she had cancelled the previous W/C but would give me a try,so did the job.Went to collect tonight and her husbands comes to the door,standing well behind her and tells me, he never asked for them to be cleaned,I said 'sir your wife asked me yesterday' to which she looked at me and remained silent, a few more words were exchanged, mat was soggy etc, and he refused to pay, and the lady still didn't say a word about agreeing for me to clean the windows.Of course I thought of loads of things to say after, so what can I do,or have I missed the opportunity to do anything now?
Also had another tonight, 'I never said you could clean my windows'.... 'but I bought this round from previous W/C(I know its not a god given right) so I'm the new W/C......'No you're not he said, I'm not paying 2 and the other one is cheaper'........... So thats 2 free cleans this week.

What do you do with scum like this ???

Lee
Drop them like a hot potato, the one that asked you to do it then her hubby said no, I would have said this: I understand I am new, your wife asked me to clean them which I did and I do expect to be paid for this, if they dont pay at the door I then say, what I will do is leave the slip for you to post the payment within 21 days if payment is not made within this time a charge will be added, 28 days later the details are passed on to a collection agency then you will have to pay them and I will more than likely affect your credit score they 95% of the time pay me I have to watch people like this as my blood starts boiling I have to walk and  count it as a lose and forget about it, I do this as it winds me up for days and days, when I first started I went back to a house about 15 times to get the money it was £7.50 back then, I didnt want the money I just wanted to get paid what ever the cost I did work and I wanted paying, I did end up getting the money as I told the person I would not stop calling till I was paid for the work I did. (that sounds very bad) but thats what I did I dont reccomend doing that at all I just had no help when I strated at all so I did what I thiught was right, most was but some not.

If people dont pay dont clean again. walk away try and be nice leave your card, if they call you back they have to pay inadvance plus the money still owed on dont bother with cleaning it.

Majestic

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:50:05 pm »
Did the window cleaner you bought the work off take you around and introduce you to the customers .
If I was you I would go and introduce myself as there new window cleaner asap .
About not getting paid I would forget about it, it wont be the last time you have trouble getting paid. We all get them

simbo

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 08:52:38 pm »
no messing just put the dirt back on the windows
simbo ;)

Ian Rochester

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:20:19 pm »
Lee,

Take it as a lesson, if you buy a round then make sure everyone is aware that you are taking over, introduce yourself to them before your first clean.  If they are not in leave them a typed letter with a note at the bottom telling them to let you know if they do not want you to clean their windows, othewise you will assume that they want to continue having their windows cleaned.

Make it a priority to get full details of all your customers, names, full address, postcodes and phone numbers so that if you do have any problems you can make claims against a named person and not just an address.

We are not in the bob a job game anymore, this is serious business and customers need to be aware that if they receive a service they need to pay for it.

In the past I have threatened a customer with court action over £18.00, they paid up and apologised.........then I dropped them.

johnny_h

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 09:20:52 pm »
if you bought the round do as i did get the former w/c to do an explanation letter saying he has sold the round to you with his phone number on it and do a letter of introduction with all your details on it and go introduce your self as for the non payers black list them they aint worth it but warn every w/c er you meet
AUDI VIDE TACE

SonOfFormby

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 09:46:51 pm »
if you bought the round do as i did get the former w/c to do an explanation letter saying he has sold the round to you with his phone number on it and do a letter of introduction with all your details on it and go introduce your self as for the non payers black list them they aint worth it but warn every w/c er you meet

I managed to meet most of them, and all the others were leafleted, to let them know I was taking over, so surely Its up to this guy to contact me if he doesnt want me, and not just let me clean and then tell me to beat it. I like windowwashers idea, as I don't like the idea of people treating me and W/C in general as some sort of tin pot outfit, when we are providing a good service. So the 1st letters go out tomorrow, and I am already in the mindset of dumping, and NEVER taking back on 'people' like this.I know what you mean WW the more I think about it, my blood is boiling, and it is a matter of principal.

Lee

johnny_h

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 10:07:00 pm »
you will always get them they will always get their windows done because there will always be new w/c ers about take it on the chin mate it really aint worth it if you bought them then they wont have another cleaner to do them wait and see they will come back to you
AUDI VIDE TACE

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 10:10:33 pm »

I managed to meet most of them, and all the others were leafleted, to let them know I was taking over, so surely Its up to this guy to contact me if he doesnt want me, and not just let me clean and then tell me to beat it. I like windowwashers idea, as I don't like the idea of people treating me and W/C in general as some sort of tin pot outfit, when we are providing a good service. So the 1st letters go out tomorrow, and I am already in the mindset of dumping, and NEVER taking back on 'people' like this.I know what you mean WW the more I think about it, my blood is boiling, and it is a matter of principal.

Lee
Lee all I say is try not to think about it as it will put you in a bad mood when you do thats not good when window cleaning, I have been there and done it trust me it will cost you money as your mind will wonder thinking about it. What I said works for me, have been doing it a long time now, many will say you cant do it, but as I just said it works for me, My customers and me both know where we stand from day one, I do a good job and I want to be paid on time.

dai

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 10:18:53 pm »
When I first started, non payers used to really get to me.
I don't worry about it now. Take it on the chin and move on. Life's too short, I don't need the stress. Dai

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 12:09:32 am »
Guess things never change.

I bought a round of about 150 houses off a pal some 20yrs back and I had about a dozen cases similar to yours. they were either saying they'd cancelled or had never paid anything like what he'd told me they'd payed. Then again in the ensuing months I discovered several customers he'd told I was taking over but whose numbers he'd never given me. So it was swings and roundabouts in the end.

mark dew

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 12:22:58 am »
Lee,

Take it as a lesson, if you buy a round then make sure everyone is aware that you are taking over, introduce yourself to them before your first clean.  If they are not in leave them a typed letter with a note at the bottom telling them to let you know if they do not want you to clean their windows, othewise you will assume that they want to continue having their windows cleaned.

Make it a priority to get full details of all your customers, names, full address, postcodes and phone numbers so that if you do have any problems you can make claims against a named person and not just an address.

We are not in the bob a job game anymore, this is serious business and customers need to be aware that if they receive a service they need to pay for it.

In the past I have threatened a customer with court action over £18.00, they paid up and apologised.........then I dropped them.

This is very good advice. If you ain't got a name you ain't got a claim!!
As for turning up and just doing them, i can imagine the others thought you were taking the pee.
The ones who refused to pay cos the wife stayed silent i would go to:

www.192.com

and get some credits, then type in their address to get their name. Then go to:

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

and register a claim against them.
Not forgetting to add a bit on for fuel used and any other expenses incurred.
Good luck.