This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

matt

end of a era
« on: September 06, 2007, 08:20:06 pm »
start of a new one

well window cleaning has been good to me

my daughter starts school on tuesday for the first time, so tomorrow ( friday ) is my last day off with her without the ticking  clock that will be school holidays

i can work full time again

i left my job as a carpenter when she was about 3 months old, with the ideal thought of working 3 days a week ( and my wife working the other 3 days ) and to share her upbringing, i had a thought it would be great, trips to the beach, park, teach her to swim, picnics and other fun days out, i really thought it would be good  ;)

too be honest its been better than i hope'd, its been the best, we have at times just hung out :) she can swim 25 M ( a 4yr old ) its been that good

i stand back looking at the last 4 and 1/2 years and i dont know where its gone, i have been lucky to be able to do it, i was lucky that the 2 guys i brought work off were retiring / moving back to oz, i was in the right place at the right time

Some people dont get me, they dont see that my lifestyle works very well for me, yes sure i could earn more than my wife BUT i wouldnt get time with my daughter

If any1 here is starting a family, set aside 1 or 2 days to spend at home, let the wife go out to work part time, you will get to spend time with your children, the early years are time you will never get back

anyways, cheers window cleaning, you have been good to me

here's to the next era ( working full time  :o :o )

geefree

Re: end of a era
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 08:23:29 pm »
so are you saying you will be full time window cleaning or a carpenter matt.

macmac

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 08:24:57 pm »
I get you dude, totally, good luck & well done. ;)

tony

chrismroberts

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 08:25:27 pm »
You giving up window cleaning dude? :(

geefree

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 08:27:05 pm »
yes theres nothing more important than seeing your kids  grow and being there.... you will always treasure that .

special years.

matt

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:32:45 pm »
Im sticking at window cleaning and see'ing how it goes, ive had a few weeks of not liking it much ( as some will remmber ) but i put that down to me not being in a good mood with the thought of my daughter starting school

ive easy got enough for 4 days a week work ( accounting for rain, that will be close enough to full time )

macmac

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 08:39:51 pm »
Im sticking at window cleaning and see'ing how it goes, ive had a few weeks of not liking it much ( as some will remmber ) but i put that down to me not being in a good mood with the thought of my daughter starting school

ive easy got enough for 4 days a week work ( accounting for rain, that will be close enough to full time )

We all go through bad patches mate in this job but it usualy comes good very soon.

tony

matt

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:52:53 pm »

We all go through bad patches mate in this job but it usualy comes good very soon.

tony

aye, i have a cunning plan that'll help ;)

macmac

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 08:57:59 pm »
I'd stick at the four days mate, that's about the same as me. if work comes along i take it but i dont go searching for it anymore (unless it's something good that suites me) :D

tony

matt

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 11:22:38 pm »
4 days will do me fine :)

with the rain, i guess 4 days is right

gary999

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 11:37:37 pm »
top man! totally understand where you have been coming from.your kids are well only kids once got to enjoy them while they are small. i try myself to spend as much
time as poss with my lad. unfortunately we only see each other alternate weekends
been like that since he was two he is now nine. dont feel at all sorry for myself but
do feel envious of the time you have had with your kid.

heres to a new era in both your lives hope it is exciting for both of you

p.s. glad to see you feeling more positive again :)

Pj

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 11:42:44 pm »
You have already watched "Finding Nemo" I can tell.

It is a Disney type film for Ausie type people.  A great film with a great message.

Our granddaughter calls it "Finding Memo".

Anyway, you have it right Matt, keep strong character and look after your family.

Pj

matt

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 11:44:59 pm »
top man! totally understand where you have been coming from.your kids are well only kids once got to enjoy them while they are small. i try myself to spend as much
time as poss with my lad. unfortunately we only see each other alternate weekends
been like that since he was two he is now nine. dont feel at all sorry for myself but
do feel envious of the time you have had with your kid.

heres to a new era in both your lives hope it is exciting for both of you

p.s. glad to see you feeling more positive again :)

onwards and upwards :) or so they say :)

The funny thing is, she loved preschool and is really looking forward to school, she loves to learn things and loves other children :) best of both worlds in her eyes

matt

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 11:49:53 pm »
You have already watched "Finding Nemo" I can tell.

It is a Disney type film for Ausie type people.  A great film with a great message.

Pj

aye, i will be like marlin ( nemo's dad, what a film geek am i ;))

Helen

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 03:54:25 pm »
Matt, good for you...admire what you have achieved, where are you based, perhaps someone could give you a few days here and there, so you are not too tied to work when the school hols arrive"

Tosh

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 04:20:31 pm »
Matt,

You're spot on with your work/life balance; that's good.

In a 'previous life' I've worked the 12 to 16 hours a day, seven-days-a-week.

It culminted to a point where I was working in Chepstow (Beachly Barracks), Monday to Friday; long hours, then having to fly to Northern Ireland Friday evening, to work each weekend there and the only time I saw my family was on a Sunday afternoon when I could fly home early in the afternoon.  (This was when I was in the army and we had loads of different operations going on in the battalion (a NI tour, covering for firemen on strike and preparing for an Afgan tour).

But I was so stressed, I couldn't 'enjoy' the family.  I had an umbilical cord from my head to my work; always having to think ahead and plan job-orientated stuff.

Sometimes I miss the 'wadge of cash' delivered into my bank at the end of the month, and the laughs and commraderie of a 'proper job', but window cleaning, once you get your technique and prices right and work hard (though shorter hours); is great for family life. 

It's why I took up window cleaning!

Majestic

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 04:30:29 pm »
Matt
You will find yourself driving past her school at playtimes, and watching her from your car/van.

matt

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 04:36:58 pm »
Matt, good for you...admire what you have achieved, where are you based, perhaps someone could give you a few days here and there, so you are not too tied to work when the school hols arrive"

no worries, as i said, i have enough for 4 days a week, if i take on any more and work 5 days, come the holidays i will just fall behind a little, thats tough though, as unprofessional as it sounds, the customer can cope with being a week or so late in the holidays :)

matt

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 04:40:04 pm »
Matt
You will find yourself driving past her school at playtimes, and watching her from your car/van.

do you know, i thought of that today, we went swimming and then to the park, as i watched her play on all the playground stuff, i heard the school ( same school as she will go ) come out for lunch time and i thought, i can at least walk past and wave, not that she will see me, she will be having fun with all her friends :)

Ive allready been asked to go and help out a little in school, i used to do it in pre-school and this school likes parent helpers to come in and help, but its only 8.45 till 3.15, not that long really ;)

matt

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 04:43:11 pm »
Matt,

You're spot on with your work/life balance; that's good.

In a 'previous life' I've worked the 12 to 16 hours a day, seven-days-a-week.

It culminted to a point where I was working in Chepstow (Beachly Barracks), Monday to Friday; long hours, then having to fly to Northern Ireland Friday evening, to work each weekend there and the only time I saw my family was on a Sunday afternoon when I could fly home early in the afternoon.  (This was when I was in the army and we had loads of different operations going on in the battalion (a NI tour, covering for firemen on strike and preparing for an Afgan tour).

But I was so stressed, I couldn't 'enjoy' the family.  I had an umbilical cord from my head to my work; always having to think ahead and plan job-orientated stuff.

Sometimes I miss the 'wadge of cash' delivered into my bank at the end of the month, and the laughs and commraderie of a 'proper job', but window cleaning, once you get your technique and prices right and work hard (though shorter hours); is great for family life. 

It's why I took up window cleaning!

tosh, i clean a few MOD houses around by me, thay and all 3 of the MOD services, i spoke to a army major last night whilst collecting a few houses ( i want the money for the weekend, i dont normally collect ) he said his little girl is 5 and 1/2 he has been home for less than 12 months of her life, so many active tours these days :( i felt for him, i was feeling sorry for myself and he said that, it made me snap out of it a little, afterall i will see her from 3.15 onwards, he didnt even get that time, makes you gratefull for our defence force