Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

MJH

Hiring a lock up for tank filling!
« on: September 06, 2007, 08:39:25 am »
I am on a meter so as you can imagine my water bills are a bit on the high side(700-1000 litres a week), the only way i can think of to get around it is to hire a small lock up or unit with water supply and use a static tank.
Does anyone else do this? or have any alternative suggestions! My friends and family are mainly on meters or dont like the idea of a tank in there garden/garage!

Regards Matt

matt

Re: Hiring a lock up for tank filling!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 09:45:30 am »
1000 litres a week a week will not increase your water bill by that much, even with a waste output of 2 - 1

MJH

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 09:50:48 am »
Just got my first bill in new house, £206 for the quarter, to me that seems high!

Helen

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 11:22:32 am »
You are going to have to work out some costings for this. the cost of the water you produce on your meter just for work against the cost of rental, rates, water supply, electric and other overheads of a lock up/unit. May be wrong but I think your lock up cost may work out more expensive :)

SparklingWC

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 11:46:24 am »
have a look about and ask around for a garage to rent. these are often cheaper than lockups and will give you the space you need but not more (therefore saving cost) you'll need to get one with a water and electric supply obviously.
but as others have said, you'll need to work out all of the total cost of each (traveling, rent, water, electricity, time) of the 2nd premsis versus your home (water and electricity bill, but consider the convnience factor too)
and the final thing, charge your customers to accomadate the prices. if your running costs go up there is only one person whou should pay ... the customer, unfortunatley - that is business.

MJH

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 01:48:29 pm »
Thanks lads for that, i was thinking more along the lines of a garage or i will just have to accept meters are pricey and pass the costs on!

matt

matt

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 05:41:19 pm »
Just got my first bill in new house, £206 for the quarter, to me that seems high!

yes its gone up, but a lockup will cost you more than #206 a 1/4

geefree

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:30:49 pm »
i have a pressure washer that draws from a river. lol

simply pull up... fill tank..

then pump it through reverse osmosis.

into another tank.

just kidding ..

i have a pressure washer that draws water though....

any idea if the above is possible ?

cybersye

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 08:48:40 pm »
I am on a meter so as you can imagine my water bills are a bit on the high side(700-1000 litres a week), the only way i can think of to get around it is to hire a small lock up or unit with water supply and use a static tank.
Does anyone else do this? or have any alternative suggestions! My friends and family are mainly on meters or dont like the idea of a tank in there garden/garage!

Regards Matt
I think others are right when they say a lock up or garage with tap could work out more costly, it certainly would where I live if I were to rent one!
 just a thought but maybe you could install a secondry water meter to the pipe that supplies your ro ? that way you can know exactly how much is business use and claim it as an exspense come the end of the tax year
Simon

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 09:24:35 pm »
Have you considered rainwater harvesting? Just divert the guttering on your house into a tank through a fine debris filter. Depending on your roof, you might not even need to run it through a DI,... But I'd do it anyway just to be sure.
If you had 2 or 3 IBC tanks on the go,.. it'd be rare that you'd ever run dry,.. in which case you use your RO just until it rains again.