This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

williamx

How to remove plastic coating from windows
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:14:53 pm »
I have a job where the shop windows are covered in a plastic coating that stops you looking thought the glass.

I have been asked to remove this, does anyone know how to do this? there are tons of the stuff, so fast effective ways would be helpful.

Also any one know how long it would take to remove from a window that is 5' by 3' x 100 windows?

jeff1

Re: How to remove plastic coating from windows
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:01:36 pm »
It will be the hardest job you have undertaken as a w/c and it will take you ages,
first you have to remove the coating, Scraper and fingers) then use some sticky stuff remover (available from Focus) then wash as normal, but I should make sure you get a very good price for it, it will take you hours.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 03:33:43 pm »
Totally agree, it will probably be cheaper for them just to get the window replaced.

We started on one a couple of years ago, it was a big mansion that had it stuck on the inside, I think it was to make it into safety glass as it had been a care home at one time.

Anyway we did one set of patio doors, 2 of us and it took the best part of 4 hours and 3 cans of solvent cleaner.  Didn't do any more after that! 

Even if you are working at £20/hr that is still £160 for one window, and that's not including your matierials, they'll not pay it.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 09:17:50 pm »
Some,... but not all of these films will come off with either very hot water or a steam cleaner.
There is a small chance that the heat would crack the glass (The chance increases the thicker the glass is), so always get a waiver signed before you start!!!

Even after steaming the film off,.. you'll still need the scraper.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 09:21:26 pm »
Dont do it, I spent a day once scraping a 12x12 ft window, Its awful work and theres no thanks for it as you have to charge a fortune and the customer thinks your milking it.
Have them call a company that installs it as they are better able to deal with it
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland