Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pole2pole

Connecting switch to water pump
« on: August 25, 2007, 01:10:43 pm »
Has anyone got a diagram of how to properly connect a switch to water pump for a van mount(Or can briefly tell me the correct way of wiring it). I think i'm having a mental block at the moment. Please be nice, all you sparkys out there  ;D

matt

Re: Connecting switch to water pump
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 01:21:01 pm »
red from battery is broken with a switch ( them doggle switchs are nice ) and then a inline fuse

black to battery

Pole2pole

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 01:24:30 pm »
No mention of the pump there matt. Just battery to switch. Is it me?Or is that just connected straight to the battery as normal? I know i'm gonna win dunce of the week for this one  ;D Appreciate the input nonetheless mate.

Pole2pole

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 02:02:22 pm »
Just tried that and it's working  ;D The problem is when i go to turn it off..........it's still working  ??? The switch i bought has 3 pins at the back,ground, power and one in the middle with "acc" on it. Am i right in totally ignoring that pin????  ::)

twt

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 02:07:46 pm »
the red wire from your pump to your battery cut it. wire in the switch and  inline fuse turn switch on, pump will start. go to work when finished turn switch off, pump will stop. go home have a beer chill out.

matt

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 07:42:48 pm »
No mention of the pump there matt. Just battery to switch. Is it me?Or is that just connected straight to the battery as normal? I know i'm gonna win dunce of the week for this one  ;D Appreciate the input nonetheless mate.

what i meant was

red battery ---- red wire --- switch --- inline fuse --- pump

black battery --- pump

if you look on the DIY site, you will see i built a pump box and it lists all the bits

m.b.s.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 08:09:12 pm »
mat how can you print off your site tried file print but it misses quite a bit out on the paper everythink else i print off the net is fine

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 08:15:16 pm »
Try, Copy and paste into word ?

Pole2pole

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 09:24:04 pm »
Thanks for that matt. Sounds like the advice i was after. Too dark to play with it now  :-X but i'll have a look in the morn  ;)

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 09:55:29 pm »
Dino, does this help??? step by step

1) Red from battery to in-line fuse

2) in-line fuse to center pin on switch (acc or common)

3) switch (on) to live on pump (red wire)

4) Black from pump to negetive on battery

Pole2pole

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 09:57:58 pm »
Yeh Jeff,that's really what i needed. Described to me like i'm a 2yr old. No seriously, that's exactly what i needed. I'll have it sorted tomorrow now i'm sure. Thanx again Jeff 'n' Matt  ;)

Pole2pole

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 10:00:47 pm »
That's probably where i was going wrong. I haven't connected anything to that "acc" terminal. I was just concentrating on the live and earth terminals.  ::)

jeff1

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 10:03:42 pm »
Lol It can be daunting if your not sure, I tried to explain it as if you were a 1 year old ;D and drew the picture on microsoft paint, but it wouldn't let me upload it to the forum. :'(

Just seen your post, there are no earth terminals on a switch  :o

When you operate your switch? how many posisions does it have?

Pole2pole

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 10:23:15 pm »
Hi Jeff,i told ya i didn't know what i was talkin about  :o Ok being someone who couldn't really wait til dawn, i went out and done as ya said and it's workin a treat. The led isn't working though, which i can live with,but would be nice if i could wire that up to work. It's got 3 terminals bud. Ground, acc and power. As things stand, the ground isn't being used. Am i about to give you a heart attack?lol. It's ok, i've disconnected it for the night  :)

Pole2pole

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 10:24:24 pm »
Sorry...........2 positions.....on and off....if that's what ya meant  ;)

Pole2pole

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 10:30:44 pm »
Can't believe I'm a cleanitup GOD........That's what ya get for askin sooooo many questions. Some titles can be deceiving  ;D  ;D  ;D

jeff1

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 11:10:20 pm »
Dino, Your like me then you YAP to much  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ok regarding the light/led, take a little piece of wire and attach it to the terminal on the switch  that is going to the pump (thats now 2 wires on same terminal) now with the other end, put it on the empty terminal and try that,
Let me know how you get on?

Pole2pole

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 11:24:17 pm »
Hang on a minute.......i aint in the same league as you on the Yapscalometer.  ;D I'll give that a whirl tomorrow eve Jeff. Taking the family to the coast in about er....7 hours. Gutted  ::) I'd much rather be twiddling with wires. I want it done by Monday morn. Am i having a Homer moment or what?  ???

matt

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 11:34:03 pm »
halfords do a simple doggle switch, 2 connection, you dont need 1 of them, cut the red wire and wire in the swith

jeff1

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 11:47:33 am »
Hang on a minute.......i aint in the same league as you on the Yapscalometer.  ;D I'll give that a whirl tomorrow eve Jeff. Taking the family to the coast in about er....7 hours. Gutted  ::) I'd much rather be twiddling with wires. I want it done by Monday morn. Am i having a Homer moment or what?  ???
Not yet your not  ;D ;D but your getting there  ;D ;D
If that little link does not work, then try taking it off, and were is says ground then put it on there and stick it to a metal part of your van.

Also like Matt says halfords do the 2 prong TOGGLE  ;D switch, but the one you have already should work fine.

Have a nice day at the beach. :)