This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jeff1

My Newly Invented Pole Saver
« on: August 22, 2007, 11:50:59 am »
I spent a lot of money on my x-tel hybrid pole, and I take the time and effort to look after it.

When I did my first window above a roof, I could have cried when I seen the scatches caused to my new pole by the roof tiles, as time has past, the pole gets ever more and more scratches, this will eventually lead to me having to replace a section/s  if they are replacable?? and at what cost?

I was doing my routine maintenance to my pole today and on closer inspection I thought to my self, this pole needs some protection for the future if its going to last me.
So into the workshop I go, to have a look at what I can do, or find to protect my pole?
There in the corner was some  1'1/4 waste pipe, this could be what I'm  looking for Mmmmm!....first of all I asked the boss if she had any spare velcro? because my first idea was to cut the pipe in half and then cut some slots into the half of pipe. 'No velcro in the house' and I couldn't be bothered to jump into the car to get any, so it was back to the drawing board.

Then I hit on the idea, If I was to cut only a slice of the pipe I could then just clip it onto the sections of my x-tel pole, So into the bandsaw the pipe went and I cut a small section off, as you can see in the pictures.

I first clipped it onto the main scatched section of my pole, eureka it was going to work and stay where I put it ;D ;D
I then began to experiment with clipping it to different sections of the pole where, it was most likly to come into contact with the roof tiles, It fitted every section, including the meaty bottom section (Check out the pics) now it wont fit the top sections, but there is no need for protection to these sections.

I thought I could leave it connected to the bottom section on a permanent basis and it would always there, when I needed it, but I found it to be a little akward in use, so I will now just chuck it into the trailer and take it out for use on just the jobs I know where its needed.

This has to be one of the best ways I know of, to protect my pole against damage from roof tiles and guttering?  I just wish I had it from day one when I first bought my pole.
Here are some pictures of what I have done and in use against a roof edge.
I hope it helps anyone if your about to buy a new pole.

These 2 give an idea of how much was cut off the pipe.

This last one shows how I stored it on the bottom section

jouk45

Re: My Newly Invented Pole Saver
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:36:08 pm »
very clever but simple pole saver idea jeff, nice one,  ;D

Count Phil

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 02:14:32 pm »
How do you find the hybrid? Is the bottom section a bit fat or don't you notice?

Nice idea by the way.

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 02:32:03 pm »
How do you find the hybrid? Is the bottom section a bit fat or don't you notice?

Nice idea by the way.

Excellent all round pole, and to be very honest you don't notice the bottom section, its no bigger than the univesal's, my boss uses it quite a lot and she's only just over 5'

NWH

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 02:32:44 pm »
Jeff what brush is that on Your pole,is it a salmon if so what grade bristles.Cheers.

jeff1

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 02:36:29 pm »
Jeff what brush is that on Your pole,is it a salmon if so what grade bristles.Cheers.

Its a Gaz brush mono with the Mk1 swivel, I don't know that much about brush's, but I do know its very light. and its a crinkly bristle one. ;D ;D

windowcleanomano

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 04:25:31 pm »

Hi Jeff
Great idea,

You said that you used what you had laying around so perhaps if you had a choice you might have used a different tube.
I ask, as it looks as if the tube is a thick walled tube. Wondered if a more whippy (thin walled) one would be better?

Just a thought.

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 05:07:11 pm »

Hi Jeff
Great idea,

You said that you used what you had laying around so perhaps if you had a choice you might have used a different tube.
I ask, as it looks as if the tube is a thick walled tube. Wondered if a more whippy (thin walled) one would be better?

Just a thought.

Its just standard waste pipe, the likes you have under your kitchen sink going out to the drain, the weight is nothing, I can hold a 3' section up with my little finger.

I don't think it matters what you use, apart from weight issues, if you can get thinner tube then I would probably get some, but I'm all for saving money, even a couple of quid, so I used what I had. :)

brett walker

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 10:25:30 pm »
 8) 8) 8) EXCELLENT 8) 8) 8)

BRETT

jouk45

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 12:38:55 am »
jeff, i will go to B&Q tomorrow and buy one,  ;D

matt

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 09:13:28 am »

Hi Jeff
Great idea,

Just a thought.

I don't think it matters what you use, apart from weight issues, if you can get thinner tube then I would probably get some, but I'm all for saving money, even a couple of quid, so I used what I had. :)

dont use cast iron downpipe though ;)

a very god idea Jeff

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 04:39:47 pm »
Matt any idea why we can't use cast Iron downpipes??  is it because there hard to get hold off  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I used mine 3 times today and one was on a rough felt roof?
When I'd finished, I looked at the pole saver and it was scratched to hell, just from a felt roof, that would have been on my lovely pole. ;D

jouk45

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 06:37:15 pm »
   ;D