This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mhall

Help Needed with Builders Clean Quote **UPDATE**
« on: August 19, 2007, 06:49:39 pm »
Hi guys,

I need a bit of help with quoting a job, i've never done a builders clean before but have read about how hard and time consuming they can be and how many people have underpriced them.

Here is the low down:

They want the following cleaning:

Windows - Inside & Out
Garage Doors - 12 off (Single)
Fascias & Surrounds
Guttering

The development comprises of:

39 Houses:

11 x 4 bed detached
28 x 3 bed Town houses/detached

2 x 1 bed flats

24 Apartments

1 x Block - 18 x 2 bed apartements on 3 floors (30ft)
1 x Block - 6 x 2 bed apartements on 3 floors (30ft)

As i've never done one before, i'm totally stumped at how to price it. Obviously i will price by my hourly rate, but have no idea how long these jobs take. Also how much is the going rate to add on after i've calculated hourly rate

I would be very grateful for some help

Cheers

Mike

NWH

Re: Help Needed with Builders Clean Quote
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 06:57:09 pm »
Pictures would be a big help but a 4 bed detatched house on a builders clean will take you anything up to 10 times longer than it would normally with WFP,the only way to do these cleans properly is to get up to the window`s via ladders if they`ve got lables on or cement etc ladders is the only way unless your lucky enough to have window`s that can be cleaned outside from the inside,i wouldn`t touch this kind of work myself unless i new for sure that nearly all of it was going to be regular work,i`ve had enough in the past of cleaning these jobs up for builders only for them to get another wc to do them after i`ve put the graft in.A 4 bed detatched house can take 15-20 mins with the pole but on the builders clean i would think more around the 1.5 hr mark if i were you at least.

Mhall

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 07:09:38 pm »
NWH, thanks for the input. I cannot post pictures as the development has not been built yet.

Also i have no problem with doing this job as a one off as i'm in business to make money, and this job is quite a large one. Especially with the guttering, fascias, surrounds and garage doors.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 07:14:06 pm »
Fair enough Mhall,but make sure you get stage payments.

Majestic

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 07:38:53 pm »
Before you price it you need to see it , have a very good look around the site .
 Check all windows for scratches, if you find any report them .
Look for tape on the frames, some come off easier than others, you could spend quite a while trying to get it of.
Look for paint on the windows, as this will take time to scrape off.
Also make sure that any low work is done after the ground workers have finished what they are doing , that way you dont have to clean the area twice.
How will you clean the Gutters on the 30ft house .

I would also use a daywork sheet, that way you can get the site foreman to sign off any work you have done that day.
Just list what you have done that day then he signs it , then you have it in writting that the work has been done , then if there are any comebacks you have it in writting that the work has been done

Mhall

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 08:03:25 pm »
John, thanks for the advice regarding daywork sheets, thats a good point. However i cannot see the properties yet as they have not been built, they have only just layed the foundations.

I was thinking a boom lift would be required for the guttering on the apartments (30ft) to do it safely.

NWH.... is stage payments a standard practice when doing these jobs then? Also forgot to mention, i've only been setup for 4 months so got plenty of free time and any work is a bonus.

steve m

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 09:27:04 pm »
are the frames wood or plastic(yes theystill fit wooden frames)
find out how many cleans they want- just a builders or builders/sparkle
are they bringing in a seperate co. for the general cleaning, if they are you might be quoting against them.

they ARE a real nightmare, but the pay can make it worthwhile. I mainly sub-contract from cleaning co.s who have the main contract as they have all the stress of billing and trying to get the money out of them

NWH

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 09:45:01 pm »
I see Dave Morris has removed his post saying he would quote £35,000. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 04:29:49 pm »
I wont go in to detail about what i would charge, but spoke to a guy this morning , he charges £10 a window inside and out plus extra for tapes etc, also charges again for a sparkle clean.

gsw

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 04:59:41 pm »
do not underestimate how long this work will take you, i had a five bedroom detached (+conservatory)  builders clean the windows were in a terrible state plaster all over the inside and cement all over the outside as well as labels etc. and there were glazed internal doors in the same state.

wfp didnt make a bit of difference!! apart from dust removal. ended up on the ladder with scraper and patience!! It took me nearly 11 hours in the end, and it was only because the builder was a friend of a friend that I charged £270.00, i would have charged more.......... never doing a builders clean again, unless i get the 4 weekly guaranteed!!!!

hope this helps

steve m

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 05:18:17 pm »
depending on who you are doing it for.Small, high class builders normally are quicker than the big boys. Done two today, three bed with the dormers in the roof job, so 10 windows and a french door, plus front door - £85.00. The sparkle works out about £45.00, but be careful as the sparkle may be payed via the sales office

these prices are payed to me by a cleaning company who have the contract. £170.00 for 4hours work, might be grief but for that type of money I'll do 'em all day long

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 06:29:28 pm »
I see Dave Morris has removed his post saying he would quote £35,000. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jeez I need to speak to dave, I must be well undercharging  :'(

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 06:52:57 pm »
That post quickly went, I know what i would charge and dont want to get drawn into ridicule like last time.

Just talk to the guys who do them every week and see if you can get a builder to tell you the truth what they normally pay.

Since the last time when i was shot down, i did some research with cleaning companies and the average was coming out at about £300 and that did not include gutters etc.

Do your own research a good place to start is on the general cleaning section, you will actually find more people doing builders cleans ovr there, maybe someone will fill you in on the trade secrets over there.

I do not deal full time in builders cleans nor would i want to, but I know what "I" would charge. It is very important you do your research or you might be sorry.

I would also drive around to new developments and see if you can catch any cleaning firms on sight and see if you can get any info out of them.

The trouble with forums is you get people charging all kinds of prices, the ones who are making real money dont want to share that info.

seek and ye shall find

jeff1

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 08:11:21 pm »
I wouldn't laugh at Dave's price?

I completed a 20 bedroom hotel some months back, looking at the windows I thought I could knock it out in a day, they didn't look too bad, big mistake I was there 2 full day's, I just about broke even for a day's earnings, but in reallity I lost money, take Daves advice and price with reallity in mind, if you think this house will take you a day then add even more money on your price  it will take you twice as long as you think!

Look at the amount pf property's there are,

I won't tell you what I have charged, I now have a new housing estate being built with over 200 houses on and I price with reality in mind. they may try to barter with you, but if you stick to your guns your on a winner, I know I am.

I have already completed nearly half of them, the thing is with this type of work,  you won't be staying on site all day every day,  your at there bec and call, as each house is finished, its only then will they call you in and even then, you may get a call saying we need it done urgently, you have to drop all your regular work to complete it, don't bother moaning to the site agent or whoever you answer to, it just goes in one ear and out the other.

You will be lucky with some of the guttering & facias and find it won't need touching other guttering/facia may have a bit of mud on it, were it has been laying on the ground before installation, a quike wipe with the pole and its done, same as garage doors.
Patio doors can be hell, as there more in line for cement and you will often find great big lumps of the stuff on the windows and the hinges and frames.

Take some sticky stuff remover with you available from B&Q wipe it on with a cloth, leave for a couple of minutes then was off.
some window manufacturers use a water Soluble glue for there stickers,if they do your laughing all the way to the bank.

A little thing I do, is before I start a builders clean, I wash windows and frames with wfp first, this gets all the dust and loose cr*p off, then its up your ladder for the hard work.

Mhall

Re: Help Needed with Builders Clean Quote **UPDATE**
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 09:46:57 pm »
***UPDATE***

Ok guys, i have come up with a figure.

Does £11800.00 sound reasonable? for the whole job, windows inside and out, guttering, fascias and surrounds and garage doors.