This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

qcs cleaning

DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF A ROOF RACK THAT YOU CAN HAVE FITTED TO A VAN SO THAT YOU JUST SLIDE THE LADDERS ON AND OFF BECAUSE AT THE MOMENT I HAVE TO KEEP USING BUNGEES AND ROOF RACKS, WHICH IS VERY TIME CONSUMING

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO BUY SUCH A THING WOULD BE VERY USEFUL.

jeff1

Use ladder clamps, they take seconds to spin on and one of the safest things on the market, there about £25 a set and available from most large retail outlets ie: B&Q screwfix and toolstation all do them.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF A ROOF RACK THAT YOU CAN HAVE FITTED TO A VAN SO THAT YOU JUST SLIDE THE LADDERS ON AND OFF BECAUSE AT THE MOMENT I HAVE TO KEEP USING BUNGEES AND ROOF RACKS, WHICH IS VERY TIME CONSUMING

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO BUY SUCH A THING WOULD BE VERY USEFUL.
you can get thule roof bars (or halfords one) and the triangles to stop your ladder moving you get 2 sets, this is what we use job to job and if needbe tie a sill scrim round if at all windy, this saves loads of time, we used to use bunggies till I hit my guy on the head with one, could have took his eye out, so I thought I best find a different way, for saftey also as a one eyed window cleaner would earn me less lol (I am not knocking one eyed window cleaners in anyway) Hope this helps

Central Window Cleaners

We have fitted 4 uprights to our roof bars like the bars they use to transport canoes and you just drop the ladders over the top and this keeps 4 sets of ladders 2 each side on our car without bungees or clamps.

Jeff Brimble

Try getting bungee elastic, tie a large circular loop round each rack bar, throw the ladders on and simply hook the bungee over the stiles then ver  the protruding part of the bar (assuming you have a bar stop) pull off with one finger and stretch and hook back on, simple  :)

007 or what

wfp ;D

bob1

Buy a larger van and slide the ladders in and out the back door, it's less back work.

We have fitted 4 uprights to our roof bars like the bars they use to transport canoes and you just drop the ladders over the top and this keeps 4 sets of ladders 2 each side on our car without bungees or clamps.
do you not have speed bumps in your area?

rosskesava

Buy an ex bt roof rack. Any place that sells bt vans will sell them.

Takes me about 10 seconds or less to get a ladder off and maybe a little bit more to load it.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Sir Squeaky

Use ladder clamps, they take seconds to spin on and one of the safest things on the market, there about £25 a set and available from most large retail outlets ie: B&Q screwfix and toolstation all do them.
I tried ladder clamps and it was nowhere near as quick as my rope.
Also, if you weren't careful it would drop down and dent your roof.

Used to take about 2 or 3 seconds do undo or do up.

I wouldn't recommend clamps at all.

jeff1

I tried ladder clamps and it was nowhere near as quick as my rope.
Also, if you weren't careful it would drop down and dent your roof.

Used to take about 2 or 3 seconds do undo or do up.

I wouldn't recommend clamps at all.
You could not have had the adjusted correctly then squeaky or you were very clumsy, I used them for 10 years without a problem and I still use them now.

rosskesava

I used clamps for a while. When it got to winter and your hands get cold and you spin the thing round and it hit's your knuckle...... boy oh boy does it hurt.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Central Window Cleaners

Yes we have speed bumps but the bars are long enough for the ladders not to move over the top of them and the are fixed to fit between the rungs so the ladders don't move backwards or forwards. been doing this for 2 years now with no problems.

djhaydn

i agree with ross, i have a transit with a bt rack on it, a rope tied to the front of it, thread the rope through the second round , push the ladder up and thread through the last round and tie the rope to the stays at the back of the rack, 10secs max, but my ladders hardly come off now.

bit expensive if you havent got a transit thou....lol

P®oPole™

Squeaky, rope :o :o your old school ;)

Sir Squeaky

Quickest easiest way mate. ;)

qcs cleaning

I am using a mixture of clamps and bungees at the moment for example I clamp the back onto my roof rack and bungee the front, but I have seen these building vans with ladders stacked on top and they are fixed to a 'metal run' that goes over the top of the vans.

I was wondering if anybody else uses these or if they are any good and can speed things up?

Jake

We use 'pull through' straps with a metal clasp, very similar to luggage straps. Quick and easy to put on and take off.

P.S. a mate of mine lost an eye undoing a bungee on his motor bike !!! Dodgy bits of kit!
Exeter, Devon

Jake

Exeter, Devon

colley614

These are the sort of straps we use

http://www.justsportandleisure.com/Details.asp?PID=8449

I use a similar type of clamp to these but with a metal clamp on the end that grips the tie. I got them from Wilkinsons and they only cost about a pound but I wouldn't say they are the best method for speed. I found the clamps a lot faster although I found that I bent the hook at the bottom through over tightening them.