Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Who window cleaners in the rain ?
« on: August 14, 2007, 01:43:21 am »
Was just wondering how many people here clean windows in the rain and how many don't..

Paul Coleman

Re: Who window cleaners in the rain ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 06:20:12 am »
Was just wondering how many people here clean windows in the rain and how many don't..

I clean in the rain so long as it's not really heavy and so long as it's not too windy.

pylofm

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:50:01 am »
Same as shiner...but the key is to leave the house.....and then wait for it to ease off... ;D

Dave.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:32:01 am »
i clean in the rain but call it a day when it gets too heavy
where theres muck theres money

tacky

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:58:19 pm »
pylofm  has right idea .how often we wake up look outside its raining or drizzle. think i,ll wait till its stops .not much fun sitting in car or van working between showers .but u can earn a crust .mind u if its peeing down .i give it a miss

geefree

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 03:12:02 pm »
worked this morning, peeing it down, each time it eased off i cleaned a house, and so on etc.... had to give in , in the end :-\

futureclean

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 03:53:56 pm »
we clean in the rain my staff have wet weather gear on to keep them dry. only stop on rare occasion if thunder & lightening storm , have educated customers that their windows are still getting washed . haven't had any complaints
got to earn living ,staff to pay whatever the weather.

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:04:37 pm »
Never have and never will. Nowt looks dafter than a w/c cleaning windows with the rain bouncing off his shoulders!

geefree

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 04:09:46 pm »
Thats how i feel, but i do understand we have to make a living,

but i do feel stupid cleaning the windows when its hammering it down,

after all , how many of us think at home..... oh its pouring down love, shall i just nip out and clean the windows while its raining?

our neighbours would look at us as though we were loonies. ;D

groundhog

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 04:17:31 pm »
I clean in the rain but I tend to carefully choose customers that I know either won't complain or are never in. I am going to give all my customers a note to say that I clean every Month raining or not. Has anyone else done this as I'm not sure how to word it, but I need to do something as I cannot afford not to work every time it rains!!

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 04:32:12 pm »
If i'm prepared to work in the rain my custy's are fine. Their eyebrows used to lift but they know the results are still great.

It hasn't happened once yet but they know if there is a problem if they phone me that night or the next morning it will be sorted.

In 2 years i've not had a prob with Wfp & working in the rain so i work.

simon knight

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 05:30:51 pm »
I clean in the rain but I tend to carefully choose customers that I know either won't complain or are never in. I am going to give all my customers a note to say that I clean every Month raining or not. Has anyone else done this as I'm not sure how to word it, but I need to do something as I cannot afford not to work every time it rains!!

To be honest I wouldn't write any letter because if you do you're drawing attention to working in rain...!

Most of your customers probably don't give a stuff if you work in rain or 35 Celsius as long as the end result is satisfactory.

Just turn up as per usual and if you get shooed away by a few you then have a choice: be flexible or drop 'em.

You might explain that you're not a fair-weather w/c and would sooner not clean for fair-weather customers.

Personally I find it easier to to just work in dry weather and play catch-up...my customers have long ago forgotten all about a "regular" service from me.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 05:32:07 pm »

Adapted from T & Cs posted by Trevor Knight I have the following on the back of my quotation forms:-

5)   We operate a 12 monthly service throughout the year.  This is at 6 weekly intervals (unless otherwise agreed). This means that we may clean your windows during inclement weather. We reserve the right to decide if the window cleaning services should be carried out. Rain does not affect the quality of your clean. If you or your representative prevents us from cleaning, we reserve the right to charge 50% of the normal cost of the clean to compensate for travelling and time wasted.

I only supply these T & Cs to new customers.  I will also supply a copy of them to any existing customers who want to do something that breaches them.  Obviously an existing customer cannot breach T & Cs that they have never been shown.  Most of my customers are reasonable people so I decided to only start showing T & Cs to existing customers if something happens that would breach them.

Stevie G

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 06:04:33 pm »
shiner how did you find the 6 weekly rota. the way forward i think.
your thoughts.

steve.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 06:14:43 pm »
shiner how did you find the 6 weekly rota. the way forward i think.
your thoughts.

steve.

I find 6 weekly OK.  I started doing it some years ago.  I started by offering a monthly service but I got a lot of "not today thanks" and people asking for every other month.  Back then I ran it all without a computer so I found a little harder to organise jobs with differing time intervals.  What I did was to make it 6 weekly across the board.  This brought most of the two monthly customers onside (but I did lose a few) and the monthly ones were happy as they saved a bit of money.  I had lots of work then so could carry it at 6 weekly.
Ironically I trimmed my workload drastically a few years afterwards and then lost a fair bit more as I was unable to work for a few months due to illness.  This eventually left me with a 6 weekly rota and 4 weeks work.  I still work like that today though I'm gradually filling the gaps.  Whenever I take on some decent work, I "lose" the worst bit of my current work.  This has meant that I have been slowly reducing my hours but increasing my turnover.  Additionally, I get through the work much more quickly due to WFP now.
I have decided that I will not be dropping any more work for the time being until my workload has filled up a bit more - unless I come across a customer who I really can't cope with.

Stevie G

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 08:31:49 pm »
cheers mate.

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 09:50:35 pm »
If i'm prepared to work in the rain my custy's are fine. Their eyebrows used to lift but they know the results are still great.

It hasn't happened once yet but they know if there is a problem if they phone me that night or the next morning it will be sorted.

In 2 years i've not had a prob with Wfp & working in the rain so i work.
thats the answer I wanted  ;D
I myself clean in the rain on trad houses and if they say anything I explain to them, something like this link below:
http://www40.brinkster.com/rukaluka/rain.asp

NWH

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 10:07:46 pm »
If your cleaning those houses trad in the rain,the info your giving them is not correct.Sticky soap residue on the windows when cleaning trad will not keep them cleaner for longer,this only applies when cleaning WFP in the rain.Try for yourself i have,clean 1 window trad and clean 1 window WFP,go back after a week and have a look even when you do the frames trad that window that has had detergent put on it will be the worst,that also includes when you use GG3.

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 10:08:40 pm »
Never, I hate getting wet

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 10:45:16 pm »
If your cleaning those houses trad in the rain,the info your giving them is not correct.Sticky soap residue on the windows when cleaning trad will not keep them cleaner for longer,this only applies when cleaning WFP in the rain.Try for yourself i have,clean 1 window trad and clean 1 window WFP,go back after a week and have a look even when you do the frames trad that window that has had detergent put on it will be the worst,that also includes when you use GG3.
good point there, but if the windows are cleaned using trad then they will stay cleaner for longer still than just leaving them dirty, I fully get your point and fully back that, but as the company that are meant to be making my van system have not bothered to call me back :'( I still dont have wfp :( so I cant compare yet .