This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Davew

Best Metal Reel?
« on: August 08, 2007, 08:28:43 am »
Must be fairly light, last forever, have replaceable parts, hold 100mtres of microbore and not cost the earth.

Re: Best Metal Reel?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 08:00:35 am »
I got mine from Gardiners

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 08:12:06 am »
Ditto.

Excellent wheel.
You'll have fun putting it together. ;D

Alex may be nice and give you instructions, you never know. ;)

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:38:37 am »
I have a set of instructions I can post, if you don't get a set.

pylofm

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:51:27 am »
I got my 2 reels from Cleantech and they are a year old and do what they do...excellent kit and excellent service.

Dave.

Londoner

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 09:23:15 am »
Varitech do a good one, its probably the same as the others.

brett walker

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 10:31:33 pm »
 8) gardiners  8)

brett

macmac

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 12:22:10 am »
Hozelock, i have 2, over 3 years old, never failed.

tony

Davew

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 07:44:21 am »
Metal? If not how do you make them last more than a day? ???

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 08:05:32 am »
We have 4 Hozelock reels two small and two large. We have never had any problems with them and they are now 6 years old. We have given them so much use that the bottom metal bars that sit on the floor have now half worn through, so we are going to slip a length of rigid polythene pipe over the bars to prolong their life. We are hoping to get an even 10 years out of them!

The metal ones do seem more popular from a sales point of view though, but they are a lot heavier.

john tomkins

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 05:26:46 pm »
Well I initially bought the hozelock plastic due to the write up on gardiners website about it lasting 5 years for them, well mine lasted 4 months before the male connector wore out and kept popping off everytime it was wound in/out , and constant drips from the connector >:(
Tried to find a new connector but in hozelocks wisdom they decided not to use the standard, pick it up at any hardware store tap connector, and go for an almost impossible to find, crappy size >:(
Hozelock was the only place I found stocked them and within 2 months that one had gone too >:(
Bit the bullett and bought a metal reel with a brass elbow a couple of months ago and all is well with the world, no pop offs and no drips ;D

Yes you do get what you pay for, just go metal to start with.

macmac

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 06:43:06 pm »
I think there are a few different types of hozelok reels, mine has aluminium bars & a plastic reel (the round bit). only ever had to replace the rubber "O" ring on the male connector to stop it dripping & it was just a standard size. to add to this, i got 2x 50 meters of anti-kink hose which has never kinked & is still in daily use after 3 years. It is quite heavy though & i plan to go mini-bore (8mm id). mind you, it has had tractors, cars, lorries the lot run over it & it's still going strong. ;)

tony

Davew

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 07:12:56 pm »
You guys must be lucky or I'm unlucky  ::) My first one crushed the spool in four hours my second one did the same in six hours after aralditing it first. My first grey connector lasted half a day my second has managed a day so far after packing it with grease first. (and it still drips). If I could fit brass then I would be ok but like John said you can't :-[

john tomkins

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 08:24:51 pm »
Davew you're welcome to the reel itself as its only waiting to go down the tip, the only problem is the grey male connector, everythin else is fine.
West Midlands if its any good to ya email me

Davew

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 08:28:09 pm »
Ha thanks John, no you take it to the tip. ;)

pjulk

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 10:36:44 pm »
I have been through a couple of hozelock reels and the middle of both of them went and the fitting would just pop off.
Changed to a metal reel about 18 months ago put a brass elbow on it and have never had a problem in all the time and this one does not leak the hozelock one's i have leaked like a sieve.

Get a metal reel it will be cheaper in the long run.

Paul

neil100

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 08:44:23 am »
I have 2 fixed metal reels. Used them for 20 months and going strong NOW.

I did have one problem, photo enclosed the metal cone spacer cut through the metal on the side of the reel which caused the reel to collapse.

I overcame the problem by buying some Big metal washers which I put on the frame next to the spacer cone.

Nel