This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

APWC membership and WAHR
« on: August 05, 2007, 04:17:27 pm »
Just looking through the criteria for membership on the APWC website and need some clarification on the WAHR stuff.
I'm not after the usual WFP vs ladders war so please avoid this guys.  I'm just after info.
The stuff I need clarifying concerns the quote below:-

The Work at Height Regulations 2005 (WaHR)
All work at heights will be undertaken in a manner that reflects a knowledge of and adherence to
WaHR. This includes an understanding of the hierarchy of controls, where we as duty holders must
1. avoid work at height where possible (i)
2. use appropriate equipment to prevent falls where work at height cannot be avoided(ii)
3. where the risk of a fall cannot be eliminated, use equipment or other measures to
minimise the distance and/or the consequences of a fall (iii)
A risk assessment will reveal if it is safe and reasonably practicable to work at height, or whether to use
another safer work method (i.e. water-fed pole system)
i) If a ladder or other access equipment is to be used – ensure risk is minimised by good
management controls and suitable equipment (i.e. ladder stabilisers)
ii) Use of a safety net, air bags and or fall arrest equipment
ENDQUOTE

The only time I use a ladder these days is to hop up onto a flat roof.  Does the APWC classify the climb onto the roof as working at height or is that just regarded as gaining access to the work area?  In making that climb I would use a ladder with a ladder stopper or similar at the bottom.  I have ladder mitts on the top but these are redundant really due to the ladder needing to protrude 1 metre above the work area.
No problem with that but the bit about nets and airbags looks like overkill.  Surely I wouldn't be expected to have an airbag below the ladder just to get onto a flat roof?  I know it sounds a silly question but I suspect the answer lies in the probable distinction between working at height and just using the ladder for access to a roof.
I am a sole trader  - not an employer.

Trevor Knight

Re: APWC membership and WAHR
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 08:04:06 am »
Hi Shiner,

You are absolutely right, you wouldn't be expected to have airbags etc... for that kind of work.

For the purpose of gaining access to a flat roof or similar type structure the use of a ladder is fine, just make sure you take reasonable precautions.

It can get overcomplicated but in reality as ong as you have taken reasonable and sensible steps to ensure your safe that is good enough.

Hope this clears things up a little?
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 11:35:53 am »
Hi Shiner,

You are absolutely right, you wouldn't be expected to have airbags etc... for that kind of work.

For the purpose of gaining access to a flat roof or similar type structure the use of a ladder is fine, just make sure you take reasonable precautions.

It can get overcomplicated but in reality as ong as you have taken reasonable and sensible steps to ensure your safe that is good enough.

Hope this clears things up a little?

That's exactly what I expected Trevor and is the way I currently work.  Clearly it would be imparactical, indeed quite ridiculous, to set up an airbag for the type of work I'm currently doing.  However, I felt that the wording left a small grey area.  Effectively, I will soon be entering into a contract of sorts with the APWC and wanted to tie up loose ends.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 12:44:02 pm »
Glad I made sense.

Any other questions please fire away!

Regards,

Trevor
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire