This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

geefree

why does pure water spot when its 000.
« on: August 05, 2007, 01:42:11 pm »
AAARGH  ???

just done my own house wfp.... the new windows  on the extention are brilliant.... but the normal windows are , well... slightly spotty.. like dirty water spots....

m,y brush had been soaking in pure water over night... and i have an inline tds meter and a hand held one... both showing 000....

i usually do have a line or two of dots on my lounge window due to a broken seal... but nothing like this...

and i did scrub and rinse well, also i think they were cleaner before i cleaned them lol....... i will say that these windows dried out in the sun almost straight away... could that have anything to do with it.....

wheres Trevor ? lol he will know.  ;) ;D

any ideas guys and girls?

Gary.

Nathanael Jones

Re: why does pure water spot when its 000.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:48:18 pm »
Do you have hydrophobic glass? the water forms droplets almost instantly, and doesn't give the same "waterfall" effect as normal glass. When the sun is shining this kind of glass tends to spot a lot more than your normal window. The only solution is a really thorough rinse,.. and even that doesn't always work.

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 02:56:36 pm »
Some windows will only ever come up good when done trad, sorry to say it but it is true!!!  ;)

geefree

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 05:46:34 pm »
thanks all....

well i now know why i used to be cautious and slow....

i have really sped up now but this has put me off ...

back to slow cautious  ::) ::)

Clear Vision

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:20:56 pm »
Cleaned my girlfriends granny's windows today.

They are 4 months old and are upvc and they all bead.

I have cleaned them about 12 times and every time guaranteed I get 2 lines of spots on the living room window.

So annoying!!!!!! >:(

Why on earth is this? The rest bead and all turn out spotless!

john tomkins

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 09:29:05 pm »
I got windows that bead and leave spots no matter how much care is taken over them.
Tried working my way up the window as an experiment over a couple of weeks and it seemed fine till I got to the rubber at top of the glass, then the spots appeared again. I just put it down to it reacting/deteoriating???? Not a lot can be done, hopefully our eyesight is better than theirs ;D

Davew

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 09:39:02 pm »
I can't see any point in soaking your brush at all. The first window you clean will contaminate it - just make sure you lift it off the glass when rinsing. I worry about my results too. Just been to my mothers house and looked at hers and they are crap! However she has her own windowcleaner of several years who is wfp.

petski2

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 09:41:28 pm »
If everyone here was honest Gaz none of us have a full round that has no spotting. ::)
The way we do it is this,try the whole clean wfp but tell customer that if it doesnt dry clean you will redo.
I can say this mate,we have about 350 custys and in the 2 years we have been wfp we have lost about 3.
You can almost guarantee if they have a complaint its about the living room or the kitchen. ;D
This is no problem as we still mainly do downstairs trad (we just pole the ones who dont complain) ;D.
So basically if they say my room window has spots then you say no probs love and redo it trad.Everyones happy and next time you clean its pole upstairs trad down ;D

geefree

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 09:46:45 pm »
hey..

:D

i always soak brush overnight in pure.. its a good habit of mine..

i think you are all right...

you cant get every job perfect everytime eh... that probably includes every trade.

gaz

geefree

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 09:47:46 pm »
not so bored tonight then mr petski ?  ;D

Davew

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 09:50:09 pm »
I'm also trying half a window at a time on the larger ones. Been doing the top half then rinsing before starting the bottom half. My theory being it has less time to dry. Not sure if it's any better yet.

geefree

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 09:52:18 pm »
i dont understand.... the bottom half has less time to dry?

geefree

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 09:53:49 pm »
ah the top has MORE time to dry  :)

poles apart

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 09:54:59 pm »
AAARGH  ???

just done my own house wfp.... the new windows  on the extention are brilliant.... but the normal windows are , well... slightly spotty.. like dirty water spots....

m,y brush had been soaking in pure water over night... and i have an inline tds meter and a hand held one... both showing 000....

i usually do have a line or two of dots on my lounge window due to a broken seal... but nothing like this...

and i did scrub and rinse well, also i think they were cleaner before i cleaned them lol....... i will say that these windows dried out in the sun almost straight away... could that have anything to do with it.....

wheres Trevor ? lol he will know.  ;) ;D

any ideas guys and girls?

Gary.

It could be a number of reasons but the fact that the new windows are clean and the older ones are not could be that the seals are still holding dirt and need a more thorough cleaning. I've cleaned many windows in direct sunlight without any spotting and some that have. It's my experience that windows tend to spot in sunlight or hot days if there is a slight breeze which deposits fine dust on the wet windows, it's not been too much of a problem lately! :D

The construction of the glass and whether it sheets or not doesn't matter as they will be clean if done properly.
Hope this helps.
Rod

Davew

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 09:56:51 pm »
Also many upvc windows have that join above the beading like a deep crack this must hold dirt all the time. What stumps me though is no matter how hard it rains you never seem to get a run of dirty water like you do when you clean them ???

geefree

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 10:00:16 pm »
Cheers rod,

Good answer, i never thought of dirt blowing on to the wet glass, (droplets)...

Thats an interesting theory, it could answer a lot of problems.

.... Its certainly something to watch out for on blustery days on those new build jobs where house are still being built nearby.

good un.

Cheers.

Gary.

Davew

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 10:02:12 pm »
ah the top has MORE time to dry  :)

well on the really big windows I just wondered if all that agitating with the brush and water is wasted- by the time you get to the bottom the top could be starting to dry again before the rinse. (could be total rubbish of course)

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 10:02:27 pm »
Bad seals, splits in seals, water dripping out of vents are the 3 biggest culprits. Then if there are 2 seperate pane directly above a single pane this can cause probs too.

poles apart

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 10:07:11 pm »
Cheers rod,

Good answer, i never thought of dirt blowing on to the wet glass, (droplets)...

Thats an interesting theory, it could answer a lot of problems.

.... Its certainly something to watch out for on blustery days on those new build jobs where house are still being built nearby.

good un.

Cheers.

Gary.
I first noticed it on a site which has recessed slats and on one clean they were stinking in one area only. This was at the end of the building in a 'tunnel' so to speak and it was blustery here and nowhere else. Since then I've been monitoring it over the years and it happens quite frequently but is easily overlooked when trying to find an explanation.
Rod

jouk45

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 10:16:30 pm »
there are so many diffrent factors involve with spotting, for instance, if we are left with spots, the first thing we do is think it has to be  the frames, most of the time it is,  recently the council repainted over a thousand homes window frames in my area, in buetenox, best thing was i knew about it, left it for 8 weeks, as adviced by the painter, no spots now, it took about 3 months to clear more like, what i am saying is double check with any new customers of any new developments, if your water is 000 you know the problem is elswhere and not the glass