This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Wayne Thomas

Re: SMOKING WINDOW CLEANER!! LEGAL?
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 08:22:13 pm »
You can smoke while cleaning a customers windows outside but you can't smoke in the van OR any other vehicle that is used for work EVEN when you are not using for work and EVEN when you are on your own.

So now you know there is no excuse. Mind you it will be like mobile phones........

You're wrong about smoking in your van. If you're a sole trader you can smoke in your van! You can't smoke in your van if you employ someone and they share the van with you ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 08:35:10 pm »
No you can't.
It's a place of work, there's no exceptions.

People in Scotland were getting done for it months ago.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 08:37:12 pm »
No you can't.
It's a place of work, there's no exceptions.

People in Scotland were getting done for it months ago.

You're wrong. If you are a sole trader and no one shares your van YOU CAN SMOKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

niceandclean

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 08:47:57 pm »
Smokefree vehicles

The new law also requires vehicles to be smokefree at all times if they are used:

to transport members of the public or

in the course of paid or voluntary work by more than one person - regardless of whether they are in the vehicle at the same time.

Vehicles that are used primarily for private purposes are not be required to be smokefree.

ok cleaning

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 10:35:08 pm »
 i dont smoke when i work i dont think it is right and makes me cough

groundhog

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 07:45:13 am »
How can it possibly offend anyone if a window cleaner wants to smoke outside whilst working? I think that far too much is made of this whole PROFFESIONAL thing! Many customers actually like the idea of their window cleaner being a bit of character in a cloth cap who gives them a bit of banter as he works, most don't care if he smokes, chews gum, listens to music, whistles, sings, wears jeans and a T shirt ect ect!!!!  ;) as long as their windows are clean!! ;)

geefree

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 01:43:59 pm »
Hear Hear. !

its verging on the borders of ridiculous now....

its not as though we all work inside all the time, then we may have a problem  ::)

niceandclean

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 01:57:34 pm »
If you smoke, do you ask permission to smoke on thier premises?

geefree

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 02:17:29 pm »
fresh air is legal, countrywide.

groundhog

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 02:47:06 pm »
Do you ask permission to breathe on your customer's property? ;D

niceandclean

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2007, 03:16:43 pm »
I used to smoke, i dont anymore. I dont really care if people want to smoke in public places or not. But whenever i used to go out anywhere i always asked if it was ok to smoke around non smokers, if not i always got up and went outside for a puff. I always respected non smokers wishes, and the reason i ask is do you ask if its ok to smoke at someones property, its thier property, you are providing them with a service, and if they dont like smoke, then why force it upon them at thier home? Its not being fair in my view. Why not just wait like i did and have one in the van?  :)

dai

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2007, 04:32:53 pm »
As I see it, If you drive for a living your van is a place of work. In our case, the van is only transporting us to a place of work. So smoke.
If you employ someone, and are paying him by the hour, he is being paid to travel and the van becomes a place of work for him, so no smoking.
If you are business partners, then again the van is only transporting both of you to a place of work, so smoke.
So you get to the job, do insides and out, and the customer makes you a brew, sits you down in the kitchen, and offers you a ciggy????
The worlds gone mad mates.
I was told yesterday of a dogging site in Ellesmere forest, it has become so busy, that  an enterprising guy has set up a hot dog stand. I'm not joking. I just hope that ladies of the night don't feel the need for a post coital ciggy in the back of the car.
Dai.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2007, 04:42:33 pm »
As I see it, If you drive for a living your van is a place of work. In our case, the van is only transporting us to a place of work. So smoke.
If you employ someone, and are paying him by the hour, he is being paid to travel and the van becomes a place of work for him, so no smoking.
If you are business partners, then again the van is only transporting both of you to a place of work, so smoke.
So you get to the job, do insides and out, and the customer makes you a brew, sits you down in the kitchen, and offers you a ciggy????
The worlds gone mad mates.
I was told yesterday of a dogging site in Ellesmere forest, it has become so busy, that  an enterprising guy has set up a hot dog stand. I'm not joking. I just hope that ladies of the night don't feel the need for a post coital ciggy in the back of the car.
Dai.

I would be more concerned about what the hot dogs are used for.

geefree

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 10:04:33 pm »
why are we forcing smoke on people , even on the property we are working on?

1/ we are outside in free fresh air (legal)

2/ i dont see many of my customers outside anyway.

3/ they own the property and the ground, not the bloody fresh air.

and
4/ why are we having a discussion about smoking in the open air.?

OH yes i forgot , we are living in a communist state now arnt we ?

so sorry.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 10:08:08 pm »
Yeah, but in this weather when you have open windows it drifts in.

My neighbour smokes outside her house, and my front room whiffs for ages after. >:(

geefree

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 10:11:26 pm »
good job you dont live next door to a pub then  ;D

getting beyond a joke this now.... smoke drifting in through windows....  :o

car fumes must be shocking then, :-\

but thats ok as we need cars eh.  ??? ;)

djhaydn

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 10:55:32 pm »
this sums it up as far as im concerned, might make some of you look silly, but you can smoke in your van if only you drive it, and i couldnt see anything saying you cant smoke at a custie`s house.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=OY40XLF53IHPHQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2007/06/01/nsmoke201.xml

ill say no more
haydn

JohnL

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 11:20:19 pm »
emmm, - Ellesmere Forrest ?

far more interesting than reading all this anti-smoking rubbish  :)
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

williamx

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2007, 09:59:48 am »
It dosn't matter if its legal or not to smoke at a customers house while working, its more down to how proffessional looking you want to be.

Are you showing a proffessional image by turning up in a sign written van, wear a uniform, have a pleasent manner, you don't F and blind all over the place.

Yet you consider its ok to smoke while you are cleaning.

djhaydn

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2007, 11:27:10 am »

It dosn't matter if its legal or not to smoke at a customers house while working, its more down to how proffessional looking you want to be.

Are you showing a proffessional image by turning up in a sign written van, wear a uniform, have a pleasent manner, you don't F and blind all over the place.

Yet you consider its ok to smoke while you are cleaning.

i dont have a sign written van, dont need to. i dont wear a unifrom, i dont f&c to customers, and im always polite to customers, not one has said put that fAg out or get off my property with that in your gob,
for f**k sake, everyone to there own, im my own boss i do what i want to do and dont need people preaching to me, get a life.......