This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Lost a job to a trad W/C
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:43:19 pm »
Quite funny really.  Recently I gained a job because the current window cleaner can't get to the windows above the conservatory.  Yesterday, I lost a job to a guy who cleans the traditional way.  I was told last time around by a neighbour that there had been a guy cleaning by ladder but never got a cancellation email till yesterday - 1 day before I was due to clean.
I'm not so bothered about losing the job - it was underpriced and awkward - but I am curious to know the reason.  I've been cleaning there at least 5 years (the last 18 months with WFP) and there has never been a hint of a problem.  OK people, prompt payers, never a complaint.
It may not have anything to do with me using WFP as I did increase the price about 3 months ago (£8.50 to £9.50).  If I were pricing it as a new job it would be a £12er.  I would be surprised to even be undercut on such a job unless it was a very new starter who was a bit desperate.
So no problem about losing it but just curious as to why.  Obviously there are only two people who can answer this - the customers.  I wouldn't want to risk getting the job back in the future though so I won't be asking them.

Jeff Brimble

Re: Lost a job to a trad W/C
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 05:12:59 am »
May take 6 months but you will usually find out why, probably off the neighbour.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:36:28 am »
We put price increases on the round about four months ago and it seems they will use every excuse under the sun to cancel - but the reality may be that they didn't want to pay a pound more.

We lost a few customers who I thought were solid and then the ones we wanted to lose agreed.

One woman £7.50 put it up to £12.50 thinking theres no way she will pay - sends cheque every clean.

Rob ;D ;D

Trevor Knight

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 08:25:17 am »
I ALWAYS contact a cancellation and ask the reason, this way I keep an idea of whats going on out there and if there are areas I need to concentrate on, standards, methods, etc.....
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:43:57 am »
Trevor, in an ideal world they would tell you the truth but I have often been more dissatisfied by the reason (knowing its a lie) than I have about losing the customer.

Sometimes it better not to know.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:59:52 am »
I know where your coming from Vince, but I do take a hard stance on this and if I feel a "white lie" is on the cards I will always, politely, explain the fact that I know.

Its always a good game to play when a customer gives you a reason and you offer the solution back at them.

I realise you will not always get to the truth of the matter, but in general I believe we have a large percentage that do tell the truth.

Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 01:03:30 pm »
I ALWAYS contact a cancellation and ask the reason, this way I keep an idea of whats going on out there and if there are areas I need to concentrate on, standards, methods, etc.....

I take your point Trevor although as Vince says, it may be difficult to get to the truth.  I feel it's a bit late for this one as I already replied by email to acknowledge receipt of the message.  Also, if truth be told, I felt I was working too cheaply anyway.  I wouldn't be so bothered about losing it on price because I wouldn't be prepared to price match anyway.  However, I would be concerned if the standard of my work was the issue.  Somehow I doubt that because I feel the customer would have gone elsewhere much sooner but it does cause me to wonder if I've got a bit flippant with WFP and maybe my standards slipped along the way.
My hunch is that the £1 increase is the cause and that's why no reason has been mentioned.  I guess a lot of people might be embarassed to admit they've changed window cleaner to save £8 a year (I call 6 weekly).

colley614

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:06:32 pm »
Loose 1 gain 5. Thats the motto on the Wirral matey!  ;)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 04:35:46 pm »
Loose 1 gain 5. Thats the motto on the Wirral matey!  ;)

That's how it seems to happen with me as well   :)
I would prefer someone to cancel anyway rather than start messing about with less frequent cleans or the "Not today thanks" syndrome.

colley614

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 04:51:19 pm »
I find its always the customers that beg you to do their windows are the quickest to say " Not today thank you!" Were as the custy's that aren't that bothered at the start seem to be better in the long run?  ???

Londoner

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 04:56:06 pm »
Shiner, the real danger is that you start to have self doubt and that undermines your confidence.

You can't please everyone, its impossible so don't imagine that one customer makes any difference. Even if you were the best window cleaner in the world ( and you may well be! ) you would still have the odd few who decide to go elsewhere.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 04:58:05 pm »
where is it paul?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 06:11:18 pm »
where is it paul?

Horley.
Wasn't you, was it?   ;D

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 09:04:19 pm »
nope  don't do horley

wouldn't be mike either, well it could be but you'd be sure he didn't under cut you,

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 09:10:28 pm »
nope  don't do horley

wouldn't be mike either, well it could be but you'd be sure he didn't under cut you,

I quite agree.  No chance of Mike undercutting me.   :)
I don't tend to charge as much as him but he gave some good advice about quoting a few years ago (I assume you mean Mike L.  rather than Mike B.)

NWH

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 09:23:56 pm »
Although you said you didn`t want the job it can still play on your mind,don`t let it.On the rare time that it happens that i lose a job from someone moving or whatever reason i always find that another job appears almost immeidietly,the new van and equipment is enough to give some customers the hump.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 06:16:13 am »
Shiner, the real danger is that you start to have self doubt and that undermines your confidence.

You can't please everyone, its impossible so don't imagine that one customer makes any difference. Even if you were the best window cleaner in the world ( and you may well be! ) you would still have the odd few who decide to go elsewhere.

That's true enough.  All businesses lose customers from time to time.  Over the past few months work has trickled in at a rate that is worth about 3 grand a year turnover to me.  The work that has been lost in that time is probably not even worth £500 a year - plus about another 3 or 4 hundred a year that I've offloaded.  In fact, apart from the one I posted about, the other losses have been down to house moves.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 07:30:57 am »
Shiner - did they actually say they were going to the other W/c, or are you assuming they have?
It's a game of three halves!

groundhog

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 07:57:00 am »
Maybe she just wanted her windows cleaned the trad way, and prefers the way her new cleaner leaves her windows clean shining and dry!!!!! ;)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 08:46:38 am »
Shiner - did they actually say they were going to the other W/c, or are you assuming they have?

A neighbour who I clean for told me that someone else had been cleaning their windows by ladder.