This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Captain Scarlet

PROTECTAKOTE HELP!!
« on: July 25, 2007, 04:54:41 pm »
I'm in the middle of doing my protectakote, the next cote is due in half an hour, but my rubber gloves burst, and ive got it all over my hands, I've got a bit of it off using the xylene but it is irritaing my skin like mad. Does anybody know something that will get it off without burning my hands off!!!
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

JM123

Re: PROTECTAKOTE HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:02:17 pm »
swarvega - you can get it down at any hardware store.  it doesn't have to be swarvega - thats only a brand name, just any hand cleaner with grains in it.  We use Renault F1 stuff - it was cheap but really good.  5 gallon drum was only £30.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

nat

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 05:04:43 pm »
got mine on my hands, only took a week to fade away  ;D good luck son!! ;)

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 05:11:10 pm »
I've tried swafega, and soap and salt, it is the strangest thing I've ever seen, it is so strong!
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

JM123

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 05:12:20 pm »
stop being a pansy, try some xylene or paraffin then.

big girl ;D
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 05:14:12 pm »
I've done xylene but not parafin, I've got work tomorrow, the customers are going to wonder what an earth is going on!! I look like a celt ready to go into battle with blue body painting all over me, it's even on my face!

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 05:16:41 pm »
oh yeah jm123, ive got a question  for you on the crinkle monofimanet post, Luke

matt

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:31:02 pm »
where some marigold gloves this time ;) you mum will have some i am sure

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 05:42:49 pm »
yeah, thats what i'm going to do, but there my dads ones! I've just been out and the paint isnt non tacky yet, Ill leave it another half hour and have a look, Luke

StevePB

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 05:46:38 pm »
Acetone, have to order from chemist. I know it is probably to late now, but this is the stuff. Can order in 50ml, 100ml,up to 1L quantities, though they will question what that amount is for as this stuff is extremely potent ;D ;D ;D and sends you higher than a kite in a hurricane, use in well ventilated area. Hope this helps.

Steve.
No sweat no get

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 05:51:45 pm »
thanks steve, I'll go to the chemist tomorrow to see if they have any, Luke

StevePB

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 06:11:07 pm »

When I did my van I used those surgical throw away gloves, you can pick them up at most diy outlets.
Also Luke if you let the coat you are going to go over dry you will have to very lightly rub down as it loses its key or its ability to grip to another coat. You are supposed to apply as you say while still tacky.Put on at right angles to the previous coat, I put on three coats with a radiator roller.Make sure you get right in around the wheelarch seams and come up about 3 to 4 inches from floor. I just used masking tape to get a tidy finish line and as I was using a roller just put some newspaper above taped to sides of van, just saves you having to clean it all off after. The longer you can leave to dry the better. Good luck
No sweat no get

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 08:21:48 pm »
What about nail polish remover from the missus?
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Davew

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 08:55:12 pm »
Nothing on the tin?

matt

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 09:37:09 pm »
most nail varnish remover contains Acetone, its the main ingredient

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 09:42:01 pm »
I've been using acetone ( nail polish remover ) it won't move it, I'm covered in the stuff!!! I've finished the van though, wow, it looks brilliant, after the 1st coat IU thought it looked horrible but now itd great! Luke

jouk45

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 09:49:09 pm »
Acetone, have to order from chemist. I know it is probably to late now, but this is the stuff. Can order in 50ml, 100ml,up to 1L quantities, though they will question what that amount is for as this stuff is extremely potent ;D ;D ;D and sends you higher than a kite in a hurricane, use in well ventilated area. Hope this helps.

Steve.
steve, i have been meaning to get this acetone for ages, so does any chemist sell it,

Davew

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 09:53:34 pm »
Acetone used to be used a lot in fibreglass manufacture for cleaning resin etc from brushes. Pretty evil stuff really probably not a good idea to apply it to your skin!
http://www.rawchem.co.uk/data_sheets/ACETONE.pdf

tacky

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 09:55:53 pm »
down pit we used cheap kind of swafeger.  we used to mi x it with sand .it acted as an abrasive. got oil off ur hands a treat

jouk45

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 10:02:25 pm »
i dont want it to clean my hands  ;D i want it to ad to my petrol, it gives you 35% more milage, no kidding,