Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

darren73

pure freedom 300 gpd r/o
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:53:16 pm »
i am thinking of getting the pure freedom 300gpd r/o system with di filter for an extra £21 i was wondering would this di be good enough to get the tds reading to 0,what are your views on this system?thanks-darren

KarlJones

Re: pure freedom 300 gpd r/o
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:20:44 pm »
I have this RO and it takes my TDS from 250 to 14 without any booster, obviously I could probably squeeze better out of it.  Any DI can polish water to 0 but for how long? 

What is your TDS from the mains?

It is best to find out if you do not already know.

Going back to what you asked though, if your TDS comes out of your RO at 20 then a 750ml DI (I think its 750ml) will make about 750 liters of 0 TDS.  If your TDS out of the RO is 5 then it will make 3000 liters.

The next thing to think about is how many liters a day do you want to use and how many days a week.  If you do not mind changing resin then it is not a problem, RO units last longer if you flush them regular (there is a tap to flush on this RO) and you might decide to do the flush at the same time as you are changing the resin.

I would also get some extra tubing, nothing worse than having to work on a DI filter inside a small space because your tubes only reach a few inches.

But first, before you order anything, order a handheld TDS meter.  You never know, you might not even need a RO or at the other end of the spectrum, you might have to ask the guys for recommendations for very high TDS systems.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

mark dew

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:34:49 pm »
Hello darren
I also have the same RO unit with booster pump and the little di vessel.
My tap water is between 480 - 500 ppm and it comes out of the RO at 8.
After di it is down to 0.
Without the booster pump it came out of the RO around 23ppm and the resin would bring it down to 0, no probs.
With the booster pump i can fill 220 litre water butt in 4 1/2 hours. Without it takes around 8 hours.
I change the resin around every couple of months.
It's a fine setup i think though i've never had different so can't compare.
I'd recommend getting a booster pump though as without i was changing the resin every month when i didn't use the booster pump..

darren73

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 10:11:22 am »
i think ill go for it,sounds good and it works out at a nice price for both, ive just found out my tds reading is 178-just need to get the r/o and im ready to start wfp-thanks for your help, darren

djhaydn

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 05:04:41 pm »
i have this system and in a previous post was having trouble with getting my readings down past 22ppm, found out it was the resin, put new in at 12pm yesterday and have 900 ltrs water by 3pm today but the resin has just shot the ppm up, so i have to change every fill up of the IBC tank,

while this thread is going, i was thinking of upgrading to a 3 vessel di , does anyone know how much life and water i would get out of this? or is it obvious X3 of what im getting now

Cheers
Haydn

KarlJones

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 11:19:46 pm »
3 DI vessels?  I dunno, lets play around with some figures but I doubt there would be any advantage over two.

(all totally theoretical so do not take them at face value)

The way 2 DI vessels work is this, imagine you have a red-DI and a green-DI (yes I know they are usually blue but it just makes it easier to visualise).  If you put the red one first and the green one second it will do this...

Lets say RO water = 20ppm
1 liter of resin in red-DI will last 1000 liters before it starts to rise
1 liter of resin in green-DI won't have to do anything until red-DI starts to rise.
but because the red-DI will still be making the TDS drop a bit, your green-DI will produce more than 1000 liters.

So, lets say we grab a figure out of the air and say that for the next 500 liters (after you would have normally thrown it away) the red-DI manages to keep the TDS at an average of 10 TDS, Normally, at 20 TDS your green-DI would be half spent, but now, because it is only being fed with 10 TDS it is only a quarter spent.  So the resin in the green-DI lasts longer, many say about 50% longer but of course the science of actual figures is dependent on alot of things (and I do not know them).

What you do is let the red-DI keep feeding the green-DI until you see the green-DI rise.  You then know the green-DI is spent and the red-DI is most likely totally spent by now and has the filtering ability of a brick.  So you refil the red-DI and change them around.  So now the green one, which is producing 1 or 2 TDS and rising, is feeding the brand new resin in the red-DI, so the red-DI produces more than 1000 liters, and so on and so on.  You just keep swoping them and refilling the oldest resin.

Hope it made sense to someone who had not quite understood why some use two DI filters.

djhaydn

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:08:39 pm »
cheers karl. that made sense, ill stick to the one, or get a 11ltr di vessel
thanks
Haydn

easy

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 10:56:24 am »
I have this RO

Karl,

A quick question if you dont mind asking.I have the 300gld RO system here,what size is the tubing I have as I need to order and modify my connector.Will it be a 1/4 or 3/8 tubing?
Cheers,
             Tony

KarlJones

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 05:44:01 pm »
1/4 o/d I think.  When I need olives for the tube I use 1/4" ones.

If you email who ever it is you buy off, ask them which it is.  You can usually spot the RO tubing though because it comes in three colours, and is often called something like RO tubing.

I bought a fair amount of spare tubing, its pretty cheap.