Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

colley614

Any advice on employing
« on: July 23, 2007, 04:00:56 pm »
I've got to the point now were I'm looking at taking someone on. I went to the jobcentre who begged me to take somebody from "new deal?" so then I went to careers connections and they said I could take a youngster on for about £3.30 an hour this seems a better option to me as younger lads always seemed a bit more keen to please my old boss. Plus if I get a wind fall of cheques come in at once I could invest in getting them driving. What do you guys think?
Plus is it expensive to pay their wages into their bank?

aztec

Re: Any advice on employing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 04:04:39 pm »
my advice dont do it! too much hassle

Majestic

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 04:10:38 pm »
Remember
 He will still need paying even if its to bad to work.
Also you will have to pay him
Holliday pay.
Sick pay
Paternity leave

colley614

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 04:14:34 pm »
I know I just really need help with some of the work I've got I seem to get really busy for a couple of weeks then it goes quite for a week and really I need to get out and canvass a bit more but spend most of my time working and if its quite I'm pricing jobs up. Anyway this place have given me a 4 week trial if I want so I can say in 4 weeks when all my schools are done yes or no.

Helen

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 04:20:35 pm »
why not ask the "new deal" people about employing on a casual part time basis. In fact ask them for options on employment as they should be the people in the know.
Employing can be a stress, but there are good sides to it too. My advise is to discuss at length with the new deal people.
 ;D

Majestic

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 04:31:05 pm »
On new deal you can get £40 a week for 12 weeks for a part time worker

colley614

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 04:32:22 pm »
To be honest I went into the job centre and never really got any help at all. The careers connections people were a lot more helpful and I went out of there with a lot more to think about. If I had just gone the job centre I think I would still be wanting to go it alone.

When I asked about new deal they told me it was people who had been unemployed for 6 months or more to which I asked "well are they the undesirables?" and never got an answer it just got brushed aside with the words "well the good thing about new deal is..." but there was no good thing. It seemed like they were just trying to bribe me with money to employ. Were as I would rather have somebody who was more enthusiastic to work and pay them myself.

Majestic

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 04:35:04 pm »
With new deal they dont have to go on it , so if you get one its because he wants to work

colley614

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 04:38:15 pm »
Ah I see now. I wish they had explained things like that much more. I just sounded like they wanted to pay me for somebody who didn't want to work.

Majestic

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 04:44:14 pm »
Have you looked on

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Employers/Ourservices/Programmes/New_Deal/index.html

By the time they reach you, candidates will have been through a period of tailored individual advice and support. This helps to make sure the candidates you see will be:

employable,
because they have been through a skills assessment and, where necessary, courses to update their training or skills;
motivated,
 because they will have actively chosen the type of job you have to offer; and
right for the job, because the New Deal personal adviser will only refer candidates to you who they think are able and willing to do the job you advertise.

nat

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 05:04:20 pm »
I have found that employing people and paying them decent wages works well, i've pratted about with cheap labour and it ain't worth the hassle.

I also employ on a self employed basis so that when they work they get paid and only when they work!

I work out bonus schemes as icentives to get work done on time, i also pay bonus's for holidays off.

I have found that in our game time is money and you need to make them want to work hard for you, and that way is paying a decent bonus.

It has worked well for me but sometimes people do try to take the mick but that just comes with employing people, just try to keep it to a minimum, pay the decent people well and weed out the crap!!

George P

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 05:19:47 pm »
as already said good and bad points re employing and the end desision is what you want. as for paying through the bank we use a company called payflow and it costs £2.50 per week weather or not you use it + 0.50p per transaction. you have to fax through every week even if hno payments are made

twt

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 05:49:31 pm »
dont't

NWH

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 05:57:16 pm »
Paternity pay,yeah you will if he`s anything like the last big girl i had working for me.

colley614

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 06:36:57 pm »
thanks for all the advice guys. I want to employ somebody who is keen and enthusiastic and pay them bonuses as incentives so that it keeps them happy. The main reason why I am looking at doing it is because I sub from a big local firm and they are really bang on with health and safety. They want me working with somebody else in case something happens so that there is somebody there to respond to an emergency. In the long run its worth it because basically they have passed me a lot of well paid work this month so if I expand now there is no reason why they won't give me more. 

twt

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 07:16:54 pm »
use wfp to get over the problem of being a lone worker cos you will never find someone who will work as hard as you do or cares as much about doing a good job anyone worth employing as a window cleaner is probably self employed already
ive tried using incentives for better work and speed didn't work, penalties for bad work didn't work, tried being really nice, didn't work, and tried being a slave driver, didn't work. you will be very lucky to get a good worker cos anyone who is any good and has a grain of common sense will realise it is not that hard to earn a good living being a self eployed window cleaner.

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 07:18:06 pm »
ok here goes.

employing one person on p.a.y.e

£250 per week nation insurance of that about £40.00 then YOU have to add another £40 a week for YOUR ni contributions for them.Then there is their income tax which you need to do every 3 months along with all the paperwork and the constant reminders from the inland revenue.

Oh and if it rains and rains and rains for say 2 ,3 weeks what you going to pay your employee? its upto you for sure but hey how much do you want to earn and how much to live on?

Ive been there and done it never again ...oh and you need to pay the employees liability and their sick pay ...if they have 2 weeks of sick once you have buikt your round up twice as much ?? how are you going to get all your customers done?

eddie d

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 07:46:55 pm »
its not easy ;D
i contract jobs to a few other wc .works ok .

dave0123

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 07:56:53 pm »
Colley out of interest who is the local firm ? that subs u work.

DAVE
Dave.

Rogue Trader

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 10:01:17 pm »
its not easy ;D
i contract jobs to a few other wc .works ok .

Im looking at contracting jobs out to other w/c's  ...... how much of a percentage do you take from each job? ???