Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

steve k

back to firefighting!
« on: July 21, 2007, 07:50:49 pm »
3 weeks before my 40th and I have been given the opportunity of rejoining the Fire Service in Merseyside.
Met senior officer last week to discuss the contract and retraining requirements, put my interest in writing and just had it confirmed that it is a goer. I am in next week for 2 days re-training appraisal and uniform issue. I am then re-employed until 60 with my pension restarted (I have 12 years Fire service pension frozen at the moment- index linked until 65) on a 2 days on (with an optional further 2 days) and 4 days off. I can retire at 55 with 27 years pensionable service  or stay till 58 with full pension or do another 2 years until 60 just for the extra 2 years wages.
I can carry on with my best WFP work and pressure washing on my days off.
The best of both worlds really...back into an environment I am at home in with the security of pension, regular income and holiday/sickness pay etc and then the freedom of working for myself for a good level of secondary income.
I have had the opportunity for a while now but have not really committed to the idea but after lots of thinking, I have gone for it and now cannot wait for another adventurous phase of life to begin.
I`ve already sold off a bit of my work which had begun to fall by the wayside...but the cream will be kept for me.
I`ll keep you posted. ;D

Sir Squeaky

Re: back to firefighting!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 08:13:43 pm »
Good on you Steve, good luck. ;)

Pittmonkey

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 08:31:04 pm »
Hope you still find time to post Steve, I've always enjoyed reading them.

I've taken on board a lot from your post, present and past and think I've benefited from them greatly.

Best of Luck.

Wayne 
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 08:35:26 pm »
Yeah, good for you . I can see why the prospect is quite exciting.

You'll get lots of time to think. There may be tax advantages.

I wonder if having had a period of thinking on your feet, and being able to exercise your very decisive nature, you will be as contented as you were the first time around?

I worked in a car factory a long time ago (not speke, everyone was terrified of that, we had an ex speke shop steward as a manager) anyway after working for myself and earning a lot of money I would often dream that I still worked there.

steve k

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 09:40:28 pm »
thanks... ;)

matt

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 10:27:32 pm »
good luck steve

im thinking of starting a 2nd degree for the future :) this year or next, dunno yet

RAHomeServices

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 10:43:10 pm »
Best wishes steve

djhaydn

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 10:53:59 pm »
best wishes from th eretained norfolk firefighter
Haydn

JohnL

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 11:13:53 pm »
Sensible choice Steve - best of luck   :)
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

tacky

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 11:25:21 pm »
all the best steve   .

steve k

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 12:32:42 am »
 :) ;) thank you

mark dew

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 01:47:18 am »
keep us posted steve.
good luck

groundhog

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 07:40:29 am »
Good luck to you Steve! I worked as a train driver for 10 years, and have been tempted a few times lately to re-apply for my old job because of the benefits like sick pay, holiday pay, and pension, but I'm not sure that I could cope with the shift work, or having a Boss! second thoughts maybe not! ;D

trevor perry

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 08:44:56 am »
good move steve at least you will have a pension i am sure many of us on this site even though making decent money tend to put it back into the business and neglect our pensions, i am forty now and seriously need to sort some sort of back up plan for my retirement.
 good luck steve
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Davew

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 08:56:04 am »
Good luck Steve.
Funny thing is only a couple of weeks ago many were boasting of massive earnings on here. Nice to see the other side for a change. Good idea to keep the cream should be a steady earner with both jobs on the go.

steve k

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 09:29:42 am »
it was the thought of reaching an age where I would want to be enjoying a break from work whilst still in good health, but not have any financial plan in place to do so, that made me think about my future.

I would not want to be reliant on window cleaning at until I am 65 years of age. :P

I looked at private pensions but at my age, it would cost £500 plus a month to build up any pension worth having.
Then the restructuring of the shift systems at 3 stations in Merseyside created vacancies and I was offered one should I be interested.
I have also applied for funding and been given 60% of the costs towards training to be a Domestic Energy Assessor for the new Home Inspection Packages. I am still looking at course providers for this and looking forward to taxing the brain a bit.
All in all, changing times... :)

Thanks for your messages of good luck, they are appreciated ;)

Ian W

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 09:43:42 am »
Sounds like the best of both worlds. Best of luck!
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 12:17:06 pm »
3 weeks before my 40th and I have been given the opportunity of rejoining the Fire Service in Merseyside.
Met senior officer last week to discuss the contract and retraining requirements, put my interest in writing and just had it confirmed that it is a goer. I am in next week for 2 days re-training appraisal and uniform issue. I am then re-employed until 60 with my pension restarted (I have 12 years Fire service pension frozen at the moment- index linked until 65) on a 2 days on (with an optional further 2 days) and 4 days off. I can retire at 55 with 27 years pensionable service  or stay till 58 with full pension or do another 2 years until 60 just for the extra 2 years wages.
I can carry on with my best WFP work and pressure washing on my days off.
The best of both worlds really...back into an environment I am at home in with the security of pension, regular income and holiday/sickness pay etc and then the freedom of working for myself for a good level of secondary income.
I have had the opportunity for a while now but have not really committed to the idea but after lots of thinking, I have gone for it and now cannot wait for another adventurous phase of life to begin.
I`ve already sold off a bit of my work which had begun to fall by the wayside...but the cream will be kept for me.
I`ll keep you posted. ;D

As you say, sounds like the best of both worlds Steve.
Best of luck with it.