Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Alex Wingrove

Great letter
« on: July 19, 2007, 09:36:31 pm »
Good afternoon Alex,

Reference the last Window Clean of the above Property on 02-07-2007.

We were wondering how you managed to clean the upstaires Dorma
windows on the Southern side of the house over our lounge. This weekend
we found out from several of the neighbours !!

Suffice to say that you need to be aware that there are open vents on
these windows, the use of our hose pipe with a jet of water on them is
not a very good idea, nor is the apparent use of a Brush on the end of a
long pole, which may possibly lead to a broken window, one reason I
stopped doing them a while back..

You also promised to call the day before to say when you were coming
to do them, so we could leave the side gate unlocked for.  That did not
happen did either, at least there is no record of your number in our calls
received log.

Whilst we very much appreciate your excellent efforts at cleaning the
original Front windows and the ground floor ones, we do not appreciate
the use of a hose pipe on the 1st floor windows over the lounge or the fact
that you climbed over the side gate - which is not in that great a
condition
at the moment.

So from now on, please do not clean the 1st floor windows with a hose
pipe or a brush on a long pole, and please call to say when you are coming
before you actually do.

xxmattyxx

Re: Great letter
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:41:54 pm »
Im trad, but it sounds like you need to 'educate' them ?

;D

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 09:42:09 pm »
btw the way the gate is 2ft tall!

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:42:39 pm »
Im trad, but it sounds like you need to 'educate' them ?

;D

why i just wont clean the two windows, and still charge them to same.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:48:42 pm »
I`d say i think you`d better get another WC,i would also tell all other WCS in my area about her antics.These days when they go on about coming at a certain time and you`ve got to ring so i can unlock the gate i say straight away before taking it on that i can`t offer that service,to much hassle it`s also a good indication that there going to be problem customers.All customers i`ve done in the past that have had those requests have been nothing but trouble.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 09:50:05 pm »
to be honest i say i will call if they have a gate, dont cost me anything, free calls, ill just save myself a few mins, and earn some extra time,

£17 for 13 windows isnt bad

NWH

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 09:53:26 pm »
Yeah i know what your saying but most customers who have these requests are just trying to let you know who the boss is,it`s a control thing.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 09:54:57 pm »
true, ill see how it goes, i dont take hassle anyways, not worth it,

im surprised i did a good job to be honest was only second day with the pole

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 09:58:45 pm »
I don't really understand it. If there were open vents you would have left water all over the living room, and she wouldn't need 'several' neighbours to tell her.

How long have you been cleaning for her, and why have the neighbours chosen now to grass you up?

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 10:07:57 pm »
second clean,

first time £16 because i didn't do the windows unreachable by ladder, that's why i used the pole, second time £17 with pole because all the windows where done, even one i didn't price for

i don't know why. other neighbour i do in their court is a dream, tipping with rain didn't say a think just paid

KarlJones

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 11:40:47 pm »
I think I would print off some stuff about WFP and pure water, explain to her that this is how it is done and her hose pipe is not used and send it all off to her in the post.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 05:53:22 am »
I don't think the WFP would be the issue for me here. Ringing the night before would be though.
I had lots or "ring the night before" customers when I first started.  I'm glad some of them messed me about because it caused me to stop working that way.  I only do it now if it's VERY well worth it for me.

Alex.  I do sometimes get enquiries where they want me to ring the night before.  If you want me to pass them on to you, you're welcome to them.  We probably cover some of the same areas as we both live in the same town.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 06:34:55 am »
I agree NWH but i had never thought about it like that. I get losts that make requests and I go along with them, but more and more it is becoming a picture of what you, control.

I always assume it's for genuine reasons but when you get further down the road they turn out strange in other ways. The letter that we are talking about does seem as though  the finish was good ( she would have said otherwise), and the only complaints are that he invaded her property without ringing first, and the neighbours didn't like how he approached the job.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 06:46:06 am »
Yeah paul id like that

i don't have a problem with calling some people and booking the job in.

i didn't seem to have any problem with them when i called first time, they wernt there and the cheque came the next day, so it means i don't have to call them

but this whole control thing, if there is a customer whom, would like you to call and it doesn't take you much, and they just want their windows cleaned, and they don't mess you around, then what's the problem.

i wouldn't put up with it if it continued, but work is work

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 07:17:17 am »
Yeah paul id like that

i don't have a problem with calling some people and booking the job in.

i didn't seem to have any problem with them when i called first time, they wernt there and the cheque came the next day, so it means i don't have to call them

but this whole control thing, if there is a customer whom, would like you to call and it doesn't take you much, and they just want their windows cleaned, and they don't mess you around, then what's the problem.

i wouldn't put up with it if it continued, but work is work

OK.  I will pass enquiries onto you when this happens in future.
As for this phoning up the night before the sort of things that were happening were as follows:-
1) Sometimes no-one would answer the phone (presumably out) and there would be no voicemail service.  This would mean having to keep trying to phone back.
2) I would make contact for the gate to be unlocked for me.  I would arrive the next day to a locked gate and no-one home.
3) I would phone and the customer would say what time(s) I could arrive. They were not prepared to leave their gate unlocked for the day after all but were trying to ensure that I arrived when they were in.
4) They would say "not tomorrow" and try to get me to clean on another day.
5) One even wanted me to go to her relative's house to collect the gate key (each time) so I had to make arrangements with the relative and drive several miles out of my way.
6) Bad weather would stop me working so I would have to re-arrange a number of customers from scratch for the day after (less relevant now as I work up to moderate rain).

I agree with you that if I could send a few quick text messages and the gates would all be unlocked for me without a problem, then it wouldn't be so bad.  However, my experience was that it doesn't work that way.
Also, assuming a full workload, why mess about pre-arranging work when you have a full round of work where do don't have to phone in advance.
I even had one customer who padlocked their gate, wouldn't give me their phone number, and expected me to knock on their door on the offchance they were in.  No chance !!
I've also had customers who told me to call after a certain time (2 o'clock was one example) and they would still not be in.

It got very silly in the end.  The majority of people who wanted me to pre-arrange messed me about one way or another.  I ditched all the ones who messed me about and gradually allowed the ones who didn't to fall by the wayside as they gradually moved on, died, or just cancelled eventually.  It was a bad experience and one that I vowed not to repeat.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 06:31:33 pm »
yeah i see your point, but with any profession we all get the odd customer, but the fact is atm, im not in a position to start tuning work down, in fact i take on all sorts, the only thing i dont fall short on is price,

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 08:57:57 pm »
yeah i see your point, but with any profession we all get the odd customer, but the fact is atm, im not in a position to start tuning work down, in fact i take on all sorts, the only thing i dont fall short on is price,

I havce gaps in my work too Alex so maybe I ought to be a bit less picky.  However, I prefer to build it more slowly than end up where I once was.  What I have done at times is to offer to just do a one off clean for them to get them clean.  That way, the customer buys more time in trying to find a W/Cer and I earn a bit of money that I wouldn't have done without the difficulty of pre-arranging a visit repeatedly.

niceandclean

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 09:24:51 pm »
I call all my customers the night before, thats why i charge more money than most window cleaners in the area. Most of my houses are big houses, and they all like to have the call the day before the clean. Ill tell them it will be morning or afternoon, never had anyone say not today thanks, i sell the service not just a window clean. If i had anyone say not today just because it was going to rain ect, then i would drop them, but all my customers know that anyway!