Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Turnover
« on: July 19, 2007, 06:30:27 pm »
Without going into the numbers, today I equalled my best turnover for a full year (achieved in the last accounting year bar one).
That doesn't sound particularly remarkable until you realise that my current accounting year doesn't actually end until September 30th.  On top of that, I have had a lot more time off this year than I did in that year two years ago.

Funnily enough, my first year with WFP saw a tiny drop in turnover compared with trad but I had a lot of teething problems and there were a few personal difficulties that distracted me.

So I've equalled my best year and still have over two months to go.  OK so I need a higher turnover due to the higher running costs of WFP but even allowing for that there will be a bit of surplus.

Onward and upwards.

Not bragging either as I haven't mentioned any numbers.  They are actually quite low compared with some figures I've seen on here.

D.Salkeld_Ltd

Re: Turnover
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:00:12 pm »
Shiner,

You're happy mate ;)

Well done ;)

Keep it up.

Don't believe some of the figures posted on here mate ::)

Best wishes
David
Not Perfect - But Honest

NWH

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:10:58 pm »
I`ve not seen many figures on here that are not believable,most that i`ve read about money on here is easily acheivable.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 10:19:39 pm »
nwh

what do you do when people phone you up asking for you too clean their windows in an area you dont clean?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 06:14:54 am »
I`ve not seen many figures on here that are not believable,most that i`ve read about money on here is easily acheivable.

Yes I think so too but I would have had my doubts before I started becoming a bit quicker with WFP.  I wouldn't say EASILY achievable but certainly achievable with a bit of hard graft and willingness.  I know I can do so much better.  Even just by filling my work gaps I can achieve a 50% increase in turnover (I currently have 2 weeks off in 6).  That could go higher by being selective about the work I take on and how I price it.  I've decided not to drop any more poorer paying work for the time being though.  I will only drop work where I am messed about.
I would like to start increasing my commercial work ideally - though I don't want to be too dependent on it as there isn't usually the level of customer loyalty and too much of it might cause cashflow hiccups.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 06:57:09 am »
Having two weeks off in six is not a bad thing imo
it gives you time to catch up on any work that has fallen behind for any reason and also you are able to recharge your own batteries

I work hard for about five weeks then on the sixth week i am starting to flag abit so i take this week easier and only do the most important work

This is all ok so long as you have enough work to cover all your bills

Oh and btw well done on increasing your figures i think i am going to be about 30% up by the end of my financial year mainly due to wfp and better pricing feels good

pylofm

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 07:00:12 am »
Hi Shiner with regard to turnover....this is my 1st full year and I can see already that   some decent money can be earned....and like yourself I am at around 63% of my capacity, this allowing for 4weeks holiday and 2 weeks for car repairs, weather, sickness per year...so the turnover is out there but like you say its all about the right pricing...(sounds like I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT ;))

About another 12 months and we'll be in a good position and another year to 'tune' then hopefully it'll be about keeping it at a resonable level of income.

I for one believe that wfp for me has been a godsend and without it I would find it all alot harder....The extra work of woodwork, dormers, velux bring in a very good side line already ....

So the stick is good...but just like any other tool it has to be used well...

It has taken me some 11 months to feel comfortable and find my way of working with wfp, perhaps I am just slow but I have only just started to feel confident without being cocky with it.

So turnover...I do believe some of the high figures I have seen here...

Good luck to all w/c's ;D ;D

Dave.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 07:16:32 am »
If I was marking you out of ten in different catergories I would give you mostly nines.

You weak points are not focusing on specific and achievable tasks, marketing focus, and including your personal circumstances when discussing business.

Your choices are quite simple, expand or go skint.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 07:19:59 am »
Having two weeks off in six is not a bad thing imo
it gives you time to catch up on any work that has fallen behind for any reason and also you are able to recharge your own batteries

I work hard for about five weeks then on the sixth week i am starting to flag abit so i take this week easier and only do the most important work

This is all ok so long as you have enough work to cover all your bills

Oh and btw well done on increasing your figures i think i am going to be about 30% up by the end of my financial year mainly due to wfp and better pricing feels good

Five weeks hardish work and one much easier week is about where I would like to be.  I probably need a little more time off than some as I live on my own and need to keep my home in reasonable shape.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 07:31:50 am »
I only work the amount i do as i have a family to pay for and a house to renovate
I ideally would prefer to work about 75% of what i currently do so i could spend more time with both
I in the past got stuck in a rut working all hours then after a death in the family that affected me badly and a couple of other issues i had to take a step back and look at myself and so now am in the process of downsizing

Money is not everything!!
Obviously we do need it to live but dont be ruled by it or by your workload
Take it easy when you can

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 07:33:29 am »
If I was marking you out of ten in different catergories I would give you mostly nines.

You weak points are not focusing on specific and achievable tasks, marketing focus, and including your personal circumstances when discussing business.

Your choices are quite simple, expand or go skint.

You haven't quoted any text.  I will assume you are posting to me as I started the thread.
Goalsetting and marketing are indeed my weaker areas - I think we briefly mentioned marketing once before.
As for the personal circumstances, although they may get mentioned on here sometimes, I don't discuss them in my business dealings.  I think that personal difficulties are very valid though and can affect income.  I know we all go through periods in life where we have difficulties but a lot of mine seemed to get crammed into a relatively short space of time (about 5 years in my case).  It can prove very distracting and highly stressful.
Anyway, as far as I'm aware, I am currently in good health, none of my friends are dying, and I'm not in a troublesome relationship.  This frees up some headspace to allow me to focus on my earnings and tackle any debt issues.
There's only so much someone can take and I've been pushed close to my limits in recent years.  It's nice to feel a bit more relaxed about life again.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 07:35:54 am »
I only work the amount i do as i have a family to pay for and a house to renovate
I ideally would prefer to work about 75% of what i currently do so i could spend more time with both
I in the past got stuck in a rut working all hours then after a death in the family that affected me badly and a couple of other issues i had to take a step back and look at myself and so now am in the process of downsizing

Money is not everything!!
Obviously we do need it to live but dont be ruled by it or by your workload
Take it easy when you can

Sure thing.  Four weeks in six will be fine for me when I've vastly reduced my debt level but, for now, I need to do five harder weeks and one easier one.  I just need to increase my workload first  :)

neil100

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 09:33:05 pm »
Well done Shiner my boy.

Your earnings are increasing and your not pushing yourself to your limits which is good.

When I switched to wfp I increased my turnover by 50%, I targeted extra jobs like Con roofs and Facias and gutters etc, It netted me 5 extra grand over the year.

I also did a 12 week canvassing stint to increase my customer base, but my son took the work on at the end of the year.

My round as expanded so I am not taking many extra jobs on, I price up any Facia and gutters to be cleaned at a price premium now, I dont want to do that work really as it wrecks my arms.

I have a weekly target which on average I have met every week since April, So I am on for a better year then last year earnings wise but that wil be shot down in flames this winter as it looks like I will be going to Australia for 6weeks this winter.

I will have been married for 25 years so I have said to the boss name anywhere in the world you want to go and I will take you there.

Targets are a great motivator and give you something to aim for plus a little bit of order in your life.

Nel

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 10:24:59 pm »
Well done Shiner my boy.

I will have been married for 25 years so I have said to the boss name anywhere in the world you want to go and I will take you there.

Nel

And well done Nel!
It's a game of three halves!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 06:14:52 am »
Well done Shiner my boy.

Your earnings are increasing and your not pushing yourself to your limits which is good.

When I switched to wfp I increased my turnover by 50%, I targeted extra jobs like Con roofs and Facias and gutters etc, It netted me 5 extra grand over the year.

I also did a 12 week canvassing stint to increase my customer base, but my son took the work on at the end of the year.

My round as expanded so I am not taking many extra jobs on, I price up any Facia and gutters to be cleaned at a price premium now, I dont want to do that work really as it wrecks my arms.

I have a weekly target which on average I have met every week since April, So I am on for a better year then last year earnings wise but that wil be shot down in flames this winter as it looks like I will be going to Australia for 6weeks this winter.

Targets are a great motivator and give you something to aim for plus a little bit of order in your life.

Nel

Sounds like you are doing OK yourself Neil.  Well done to you too.

aztec

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 05:22:12 pm »
nice going neil