This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Majestic

What would you do
« on: July 19, 2007, 04:42:19 pm »
We clean a large house , WFP upstairs and trad down .
 Yesterday I was cleaning the upstairs and MY employee was cleaning the downstairs trad. I had a phone call today from the lady of the house  asking me to call back as there was something she wanted to show me.
She took me to one of the downstairs windows , and it had loads of scratches on , I did notice that the window had some Impact Soilage on when we arrived . So to cut a long story short she wants a new window ( it does look bad , and if it was me I would want the same ) so who is going to pay for it . Is it down to me, or the member of staff who did it

twt

Re: What would you do
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 04:47:53 pm »
personally if the member of staff was hard working and honest i wouldn't make them pay however if they were careless i would make them pay. dont know hopw you stand legally though

niceandclean

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 04:49:27 pm »
personally if the member of staff was hard working and honest i wouldn't make them pay however if they were careless i would make them pay. dont know hopw you stand legally though

I agree. Is it glass in a replacement window or single glazed wooden frame?

Majestic

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 04:49:37 pm »
Its a big double glazed window  about  4ft x 8ft

JM123

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 04:50:26 pm »
Firstly ask yourself, and her, how a squeegee could possibly scratch the glass?  if you think it might have been the applicator then take a look at the applicator that was being used.

Ask the staff member in question if they had noticed any scratches in the glass when they were working - if so, why didn't they report it?

I find it hard to believe that your staff member done it - I know a guy who used to work with me got the blame from one of our customers for scratching one of her windows from the customer - I went back round, took a look at it, showed her the brush he was using, proved to her that there was no way he could have done it.  The scratches were circular and about 2 inches across - prob got there from the plasterers and she never noticed till the windows were cleaned.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Majestic

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:51:37 pm »
I think it has been done with a scraper

niceandclean

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:56:03 pm »
I replaced a sealed unit in a upvc frame 2 weeks ago for a customer, it was 1170mm x 1055mm not toughened it cost me £23.96, so not majorly expensive, but its not the point.

simon knight

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 04:58:01 pm »
John, Not being funny mate but unless you're convinced in your heart of hearts that you/employee were responsible I'd give yourself the benefit of the doubt.

8'x4' double glazed units are big money and that's aside from the labour fitting them.

Plus, even if you do (at substantial cost) replace it chances are the relationship has been soured and she'll not have you back.   I speak from experience here!!! :(

Majestic

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 05:00:39 pm »
The thing is I did notice bird muck on the window when we arrived

simon knight

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 05:08:05 pm »

Well yeah, I notice bird muck on loads of windows when I arrive, so what?

If your guy took a chisel to get it off then perhaps you should take him to one side and have words. But I can't believe he did.

As I say give yourself the benefit of the doubt.  She isn't!!!!

Rob_Mac

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 05:19:44 pm »
Why not get yourself a glass polishing kit for £20.00 from Frost and see if you can polish it out.

This does take some time but it does work - we had the same problem on a long L shaped scratch. It does work!!!!

Rob ;D

simon knight

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 05:39:13 pm »
Why not get yourself a glass polishing kit for £20.00 from Frost and see if you can polish it out.

This does take some time but it does work - we had the same problem on a long L shaped scratch. It does work!!!!

Rob ;D

That's like putting yer hands up and admitting liability.

I say unless you're  certain your employee is to blame give yourself the benefit of the doubt (I'm getting tired of the sound of my own voice now!)

I had the same last year where i was accused of scratching the glass. When I went round to look it was like somebody had done it deliberately, it was that bad!

I told him there was no way I'd done it but since it was a small window for the sake of customer/client relations I'd get it fixed...(me a w@@ker or what?)...

...anyway I did it out of my own pocket rather than insurance as I want to save that for the "biggie" (God forbid).

So, 2 months later it's window cleaning time again:

Me: Hello Mr X can I come round next week?

Mr X: Oh Simon I'd rather you didn't. You seem a bit heavy handed with your cleaning...Bye.

LESSON LEARNT!!!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 05:55:45 pm »
I think it has been done with a scraper

What sort of scraper?  I think some scrapers have a softer metal and are used for window cleaning but others are harder metal such as paint scrapers.  Does your employee know to make sure that glass that needs scraping should be well lubricated and that it is better to just work in one direction?
I know it's too late this time but what I use is an applicator sleeve with the abrasive end.  That way I know it will be safe.  I just soap up the offending bit.  Then I pinch the end of the sleeve and press the abrasive end onto the birds muck and break it down with that.  It doesn't happen often now due to WFP but that's how I have done it trad.

m.b.s.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 06:18:15 pm »
clame on your insurance that is if you had any if you think it was down to you

xxmattyxx

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 09:33:43 pm »
Most cleaners insurance policy wont cover for the glass thats being worked on at the time of damage unfortunately.

I badly scratched a customers pane of glass a few months back, it really was quite bad, but was obviously done by a scraper-blade (back and forth, unparallel lines in the area of about a large stamp; NOT over the whole pane or anything like that). I was willing to pay for it to be repaired but he was fine about it, theyve since put a sticker over it.

Sorry, what Im trying to say is, and Im sure you know this anyway, but a manually made scratch created from trying to remove cement or bird doo-daa is obvious, by the lines left.

So in reply to the question, by a sticker with 'We do not buy goods or services offered for sale at this address' on it.

Matt