Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Re: Ethical - or not?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 07:14:42 am »
It looks like I view things similarly to a lot of people on here.
If someone approached me for a quote just to try and get it done more cheaply I'm not so keen on that as we could all end up working for peanuts.  However, if it's because of poor workmanship, unreliability, then no problem.  The bit about not being able to do all the windows seemed a greyer area to me though.  I'm taking the view that I have invested in my business partly to allow me to reach all of the windows and to work more safely and faster etc.  I can't really be faulted because not everyone has done that yet.  The bit that I find odd is that long before I had even heard of WFP, I often made an attempt at difficult windows with an Unger pole with an applicator and squeegee on the end. I'm surprised that more trad window cleaners don't do this.  I even got swiv-loc applicator and squeegee too in case there were difficult angles.  I couldn't get to everything but managed to reach most.
Due to this, I even started using the swiv-loc applicator as my applicator of choice.  This was due to excessive wrist ache.  With the swiv-loc, the bending takes place on the applicator neck rather than my wrist.  Obviously that is less important now as I don't use an applicator much due to using WFP.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 07:19:10 am »
good,

or ill be coming round to break your pole

Paul Coleman

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 07:25:35 am »
good,

or ill be coming round to break your pole

I take it you don't cover Horsham then?  ;D

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 08:22:44 am »
I've lost a small handful of customers over the years to other window cleaners canvassing over my round but these are usually penny pinchers, which I would rather not have on my round anyway. However, I do like to know why as if it's something I've done I can work at correcting it

Charge a reasonable price, do a good job, respect your customers and stick by your safety rules and you won't lose many, if any. If you do, they're not likely to be custies you want to keep anyway.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 09:03:06 pm »
Just an update.
I had a phone call earlier today asking me to start the job on my next visit to the area.  I did make sure that she had contacted the previous W/C though as I wouldn't want her cancelling him and not telling him.

steve m

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 09:36:40 pm »
my first question to a new customer is "do you have a window cleaner", next question is  " why do you want to get rid of them".

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 06:42:17 am »
my first question to a new customer is "do you have a window cleaner", next question is  " why do you want to get rid of them".

She told me that without me having to ask.
Yes she has a window cleaner and he is unable to do the two windows above the conservatory.
I'm not going to lose any sleep over this one.
Oddly enough, I could have done all this job when I was trad cleaning.  I have an extendable Unger pole that I used to fit applicator and squeegee onto.

Londoner

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 07:42:25 am »
I don't see a problem with displacing a poor window cleaner. After all you haven't directly targetted his customer.
Since I have been WFP I have picked up a couple of customers on the basis that I can access windows that a ladder man can't. Thats business in my opinion.

A lot of window cleaners come and go, turn up when they like and go missing again for months. I don't worry about those at all. I've got a family to feed. Most of them are just supporting the local bookie.

Neil_A

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 08:06:18 am »
Buisnes is buisess.. 

AA has had mr jones as a customer for 25 years....  he pays £700 a month car insurance.

Mr jones son said dad i can get you a better deal with churchills... £550 he said..

Mr jones moved from aa to churchills ... he is saving a woping £150

Does the aa ring up churchills everytime this happends..??

Or does churchills think,owno that was a aa customer... and we have taken it in a way...?   ::)

Its buisness. unless you have a monthly yearly contract with a customer that does not give them the right to sack you.... they can move on to a new window cleaner

GRADE 'A'

john tomkins

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2007, 08:58:01 am »
Buisnes is buisess.. 

AA has had mr jones as a customer for 25 years....  he pays £700 a month car insurance.

Mr jones son said dad i can get you a better deal with churchills... £550 he said..

Or does churchills think,owno that was a aa customer... and we have taken it in a way...?   ::)

Its buisness. unless you have a monthly yearly contract with a customer that does not give them the right to sack you.... they can move on to a new window cleaner

But the man from the AA is unlikely to go round to churchills office and punch his lights out ;)

Neil_A

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2007, 10:09:29 am »
Buisnes is buisess.. 

But the man from the AA is unlikely to go round to churchills office and punch his lights out ;)

Well yeah... but the man whos lights your going to punch out could well end up finishing you and your buisness of for good... is it worth the risk?? all for 1 or 2 customers??

GRADE 'A'

Londoner

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2007, 05:00:49 pm »
Thirty years ago ( yes I do go back that far ) to nick anothers customers incurred the risk of a severe kicking. However, in those days window cleaning was the occupation of choice of members of extended criminal families whose names are still remembered round here. Names like the Sweenies, the Mc Canns, Hard men who would stomp on you for the entertainment
Today those same hard men are hopeless alcoholics, who can't go anywhere without their oxygen supply and their zimmer frames. Several are dead, many more broken by the illegal drinking clubs and the loads of money culture. Most of them are still in their fifties. Human wrecks.

aztec

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 05:18:46 pm »
all properties are fair game to me, i am not in this business to make friends, i make money

simon knight

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 05:29:03 pm »
all properties are fair game to me, i am not in this business to make friends, i make money

So you'd think it perfectly reasonable for somebody to come along and undercut some of your accounts?

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 05:44:45 pm »
dog eat dog.
if you dont do it some one else will

simon knight

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 05:46:12 pm »
Wasn't aware we were dogs!

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 05:48:38 pm »
simon :P

Pittmonkey

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2007, 06:12:37 pm »
Just out of interest.

How many on here would or have given Verbal or Physical abuse to another window cleaner who had taken a domestic customer from them, for what ever reason.

Or is it really a thing of the past.

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

aztec

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2007, 08:55:53 pm »
simon if i wasnt doing my job properly then they would find someone who would, if anyone wants to undercut me fine but it seems to me the customer always sticks with me because of the standard i set and havent lost a single job in 3 years so i must be doing something right my friend

simon knight

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2007, 08:26:55 am »
Aztec, I'm not having a pop at you or questioning your work standards. Undercutting just means that the work goes to the guy who can afford to work for the least money.

So if like me you have a mortgage and family etc you have to charge sensible money for your services because it's your livelihood.  Along comes a guy who's on all the state benefits he can get and has no wife or mortgage etc....well he can afford to charge far less than you because chances are he's just wanting to earn a bit of beer money.

I can't believe you'd be happy with Mr Beer Money trying to nick your customer!