This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Coleman

Ethical - or not?
« on: July 16, 2007, 06:35:42 pm »
OK so I think it's generally accepted that it's bad form to go and deliberately undercut another W/Cer (though it does happen) and it's also not on to go around slagging off other W/Cs to the customers (though I'm sure that happens too).  But what if the other W/C is not providing the service the customer (reasonably) wants?  If another W/C is doing a rubbish job or being very unreliable, I reckon that is probably fair game to quote on.

I've been putting out leaflets recently and a few responses have started to trickle in.
I have a situation where I was asked to quote a job.  The potential customer explained to me that their current window cleaner does not do the two windows above the conservatory and it shows too.  They are very dirty.  I assume that the W/Cers are OK other than that because she mentioned no other problems.  My leaflet does mention high reach window cleaning and the ability to usually be able to clean previously inaccessible windows.  Being able to do the conservatory roof was also of interest to her.
Anyway, I thought about the ethics and decided to submit a quote.  It sounds like it's going to be accepted.  I quoted my normal rates and have no idea what the others charge - and I don't want to know.
The person wants ALL their windows cleaned.  I can do that.  The other W/C can't.  I feel OK about that.
What would YOU have done?

Spiceworld

Re: Ethical - or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:41:25 pm »
I personally would not aproach a customer that i know already has a window cleaner good or bad.

But if the customer aproaches me then yes i will quote. They will only go elsewhere until they find another one.

Richard

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:44:50 pm »
I personally would not aproach a customer that i know already has a window cleaner good or bad.

But if the customer aproaches me then yes i will quote. They will only go elsewhere until they find another one.

Richard

Well I suppose the initial contact was by me but it was via leaflet so no idea if they had a W/C or not.  Their contact to me was a response to the leaflet.

Spiceworld

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:47:40 pm »
I would say that was acceptable, as it's them that made the decision to contact you.

So like you say they are not happy with who they have and will go elsewhere sooner or later.

Richard

steve m

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 06:53:42 pm »
I do the same, leaflet and see what happens. Got a job that is now a regular, and as I was packing up their old window cleaner turned up. Turns out he hadn't been for sixteen weeks, and he was also charging £17.00 for a two bed bungalow.

matt

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 07:00:28 pm »
its fine, they cannot do all the windows you can, you havent undercut him / her and thats it

if its 1 of my houses i will kill you   :P :P

simon knight

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 07:28:23 pm »

About 6 months ago a woman came up to me in the street and asked for a card. She explained that she had a w/c but he was "messing her around" and that she may give me a call at some point. I got the call over the weekend to go and do her windows...which i did today.

I charged a bit over my usual rate because they were filthy and she commented that i was more expensive than her last guy but she seemed impressed that i actually showed up ::)

Is she now my customer? Apparently the other guy had been doing them for years and I don't want to nick his business.

williamx

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 07:39:53 pm »
It is perfectly acceptable to quote and clean this or any other person who requires a window cleaner, even if they already have one.

Pittmonkey

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 07:41:42 pm »
The problem with dropping leaflets is that you have no idea if they have a window cleaner or not. The vast majority of my work has come from customers who didn’t have one. I’ve have picked up work from customers who have finished their window cleaner and at the time I felt bad about it has there is a ethical code that seems to be around in this trade.

I have never knowingly undercut anyone and judging by some of the prices being charge in my area I will be unlikely to either (£4 for 3 bed semi’s)  :o The work I have taken has been due to the unreliability, poor work or lack of provisions from other W/Cleaners.

I met up with a Trad cleaner the other day. I was working on a house he used to clean way before I picked it up and he didn’t have a problem as I could reach all the windows with Wfp and the owner sacked him anyway. Once I told him how I got the job (Leaflet Drop) he got a bit nasty telling me I shouldn’t drop leaflets and I should buy a round. So does that mean I shouldn’t put an ad in Yellow Pages, Local Mag’s or Church Mag’s etc. of course not.

I do tread carefully has I don’t want any agro or slashed tyres etc but I think it will take a long time before this trade gets rid of the “Closed Shop” attitude and realise that it is an open market, as is with any other business.

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 07:50:29 pm »
I see no problem Shiner.

You are offering her a sevice that you dropped a flyer on & she phoned you. Like you said there are windows he cant do but you can, you also gave your normal rate without asking his.

Clear concience!

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 07:52:40 pm »
me neither, as long as it wasn't one of my customers, i haven't got round to doing all the windows above the conservatory's yet

where was it paul?

steve m

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 09:19:51 pm »
as long as the other window cleaner was doing a decent job, they wouldnt bin him anyway

Pj

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 09:48:32 pm »
One man's 'ethic' is another man's 'fair game'.

KarlJones

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 09:58:17 pm »
I ask em if they have a window cleaner already.
If they have you either get
"yes thank you"
or
"yes but I have but he hasn't been for months"
or
"yes but he is rubbish"

Now the way I see it is this,  if he hasn't been for months then that is unacceptable. He is making a mockery of all window cleaners as that is good money gone to waste.  If he is rubbish then I leave my card but I tell the customer to try to sort it out with there window cleaner as he would probably improve if they told him what was bothering them.  If they are happy then I bid my goodbyes and move on.

My quotes only really go to those who are unhappy with the time keeping, sometimes they are really brassed off with the quality and so they get a quote too.  I have had customers who are "happy" with the service try to get a quote from me, I do not like doing it at all and do anything to get out of it.  Amazingly some custys will move from a good window cleaner if the money is right.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 11:12:43 pm »
I ask em if they have a window cleaner already.
If they have you either get
"yes thank you"
or
"yes but I have but he hasn't been for months"
or
"yes but he is rubbish"

Now the way I see it is this,  if he hasn't been for months then that is unacceptable. He is making a mockery of all window cleaners as that is good money gone to waste.  If he is rubbish then I leave my card but I tell the customer to try to sort it out with there window cleaner as he would probably improve if they told him what was bothering them.  If they are happy then I bid my goodbyes and move on.

My quotes only really go to those who are unhappy with the time keeping, sometimes they are really brassed off with the quality and so they get a quote too.  I have had customers who are "happy" with the service try to get a quote from me, I do not like doing it at all and do anything to get out of it.  Amazingly some custys will move from a good window cleaner if the money is right.

I pretty much use the same method as you Karl as it gives the custy a chance to sort things out with their w/cleaner and also gives me a reply if they take me on and their old w/cleaner wants to clear the air with me as has happened on a couple of occasions.

tacky

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 11:43:35 pm »
if someone comes on to me .to clean window s cos other window clean not turned up for ages .i say maybe he has family problems or weather to bad n he s way behind. i ll clean windows but tell custy that if he turns up the job is still his .if he doesnt the job is mine.

Mr.G

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 12:13:07 am »
I avoid those kinda jobs completely, I get on well with all the other guys round here, and I'd like to keep it that way.

rosskesava

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 12:16:55 am »
Ethics?

What ethics?

If a potential customer asks me for a quote and then accepts that quote then there are no ethics? It's upto the customer. They choose who they want cleaning their windows not the window cleaner.

It's upto the customer who cleans their windows. If a customer is not happy with their present window cleaner and they then choose to use me, or any other w/c, then that is the customers choice.

Similarly, and it has happened to me sometimes, if I loose a job then that is the customers choice regardless of the reason.

I don't understand what ethics has to do with it?

Cheers
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Pittmonkey

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 01:10:51 am »
I don’t think it’s a question of ethics it more of the old code of practise were years ago a window cleaner would work the whole street, door after door. This would be his street so to speak. This would be done every week due to smog and the old coal fires burning and also done for a couple of pennies Some window cleaners still think like this, it’s their street and no one is allowed anywhere near it.

If we all went out with the same aggressive marketing approach as the supermarkets there would be a lot of roads stained in blood, but you don’t see Mr Tesco & Mr Walmart kicking off with each other in the car park, so why is it different for window cleaners?

It’s an open market but for a quite life we still tend to tread carefully.

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 07:03:00 am »
me neither, as long as it wasn't one of my customers, i haven't got round to doing all the windows above the conservatory's yet

where was it paul?

Horsham