This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

Traditional cleaning the 'real' leaded windows.
« on: July 13, 2007, 04:46:40 pm »
Hm, I took on a job that afterwards I'm having second thoughts of.

Some of them are new leaded windows, but the majority are the old proper leaded ones, and some are even bent, what would be the best way to do these? Just microfibre and window cleaning spray, and just be very careful?

It's a good paying job though, about 3 hours work, £85. :)

Going to make the switch to wfp this year, but it will still take a couple of months.

Pj

Re: Traditional cleaning the 'real' leaded windows.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 05:37:33 pm »
You've got it.

I have a couple of 'real leaded' ones which I do wfp and they leak every time, gets me down, but i can't be bothered to go back to the ladder

JM123

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 05:45:45 pm »
the real leaded ones can be a real pain.  £85 for 3hrs work ain't bad at all, I'd stick with it but try a little bit of pure water in a spray bottle and some clean and fresh microfibre, much easier than mr muscle/windolene etc and a better job too. 
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 05:47:46 pm »
Good tip, I'll have to get an RO for that hehe. :D

JM123

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 05:52:59 pm »
no need, either get some off a local wfper or drop into halfords/sainsburys and get a bottle of deionised water.  You need very little so its not going to cost much.  About £4 for a gallon.

Ballymena N.I

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 05:59:00 pm »
Ah I see, yea that's right, how could I forget. How about smears etc? Do you spray the whole pane? The windowcleaner that I have is very nice because it dries up without smears (Coop housebrand) and you only have to mist it lightly.

About the technique used ; what I do with normal ones, is I spray it, then do the corners (with micro) and then do it horizontally and then vertically. With the normal leaded, you just glide over the lead, but with the older ones I can see that being a bit of a problem. Do you have to do each square individually? That can be a real pain.  :-[  ;D

JM123

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 06:02:24 pm »
just use the same technique, you'll find that the pure water dries up nicely.

I've always found it much better than spray cleaners.  for you its worth a try, even a small bottle for about £1 will do loads of work.  Just put it in a spray bottle and give a light mist, one swipe with the microfibre and you're done.

Ballymena N.I

steve k

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 06:26:35 pm »
some jobs pay well but after doing them you cannot even think about the money...you just swear you will never go back...3 hours tradding old leaded will be a nightmare...obviously have a go but be prepared after 1 hour for dark thoughts and talking to yourself up the ladder... ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 07:42:42 pm »
I have a 7,5 hours with a 20min break Georgian panes house, with about 1,5hr of that normal windows. This can't be that bad.  ;D

But I'll prepare for the worst.  ;)

steve k

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 08:37:23 pm »
I don`t know how you sleep...I would be kicking the dog in my sleep all night every night dreading the next clean :o

NWH

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 08:48:24 pm »
Is that doing that house trad.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 09:44:47 pm »
Yep, it is. What helps is £230 straight in the bank at the end of the day. I'm not sore at all anymore, just go to bed early. Last time I did it in 6,5 hours because there was some painting going on.

Humongous house, inside and out, pool building (lounge, bar and gym), they have a couple of garages, and a heli pad. Good fun working there, sometimes the owner goes to work by heli. Very friendly people. I'm only 23 so it's quite nice to have a job like that, and to know they trust me, and are happy with it. Got a referral of a £10 small house, man has been working there as an electrician for 25 years. last window cleaners didn't clean behind curtains, and messing about sitting on the lawn, so they dumped them. Funny how that goes.

Guy didn't even look up from his newspaper when I said £230 hah. Been doing it for about 6 months now, every 6 weeks, inside and out.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 01:02:20 pm »
Just did the house, only took me 2,5 hours, not bad at £34 an hour!

Windows were quite dirty, took me 14 microfibres, and 1 3/4 bottle of spray. Oh well good money, and I'm not sore at all, did start to mumble a little bit, but then looked on my watch and realised how quick I was going. :)

mogy

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 02:06:29 pm »
I tried a diferent aproach to a new job Ive got , large victorian leaded wimdows , huge things , and  I bought a new soft bristle brush, as in sweeping brush , and gave them a good scrubbing , being carefull not to press to hard , dead quick and microfibre dry.  Comes up super !
 Mogy

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 02:14:37 pm »
Just that and nothing else?

Luke Johnson

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 02:29:52 pm »
I clean lead with a aplicator squeegee and microfibre, first I soap it, then squeegee, then gor round the lead drying it up, I work in diagonal sections

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 03:28:38 pm »
I've only just discovered how good microfibre is. Makes cleaning leaded glass a pleasure compared to muckin' about with a squeegee and scrim. I found that using an atomiser (like you spray your plants with) to dampen the window, followed by microfibre works perfect. Used to hate 'em now I love 'em. Don't know bout pukker leaded windows though. Been a few years since I had any of them.

mogy

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 05:25:11 pm »
lots of  soapy water  on the brush  naturally

steve k

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 08:47:30 pm »
on original leaded in less than perfect condition, you cannot clean with a mop and squeegee as the gaps between the lead and glass get full of fithy water and you would be there all day wiping up the runs.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 10:39:24 pm »
Sorry, but speed wise, on traditional leaded, OR new leaded, you won't beat spray and microfibre. Mopping, and squeegeeing and detailing every bit. That takes too much time. Only if the windows would be extremely pig pen dirty it would be an option. :)