This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Luke Johnson

MY VAN IS PLY LINED - SHOULD I STILL PRTEKTACOTE IT?
« on: July 12, 2007, 08:35:33 pm »
Will the ply lining be good enough or should I get some protektacote, alos how much will I need for a Peugeot Expert, also how should I apply it and should I alos apply it up the sliding doors, bulkhead, wheel arches, halfway up the side, and backdoors ( ALL INSIDE OFCOURSE!!! ), Luke

Re: MY VAN IS PLY LINED - SHOULD I STILL PRTEKTACOTE IT?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 08:42:33 pm »
You know how to start a good row don't you Luke?
I say leave it.

Spend the money on a split charge relay, or sign writing.

Luke Johnson

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 08:47:48 pm »
what is a plit charger relay, does it charge the battery off the cars?

nat

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 09:02:02 pm »
Don't leave it, i made that mistake, it rotted my first van and now its in the scrap yard, i have now protekttacoated my new transits and the are fine and dandy, the water stays in the back and doesn't leak to the under side or in the drivers compartment which it definatly will!! i made an expensive mistake, don't do the same.

Luke Johnson

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 09:04:38 pm »
You know what, the stuff only costs 60 odd quid, I may aswell do it, I just want some direction how, like to what extent I should go to, where should I protektacote in the van? apart from the flat surface!!

terry gurr

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 09:06:11 pm »
does anyone know of a good supplier of protectokote, and best possible price..thanks

nat

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 09:08:36 pm »
i got mine from protectacoate direct but i haven't got thier contact details - sorry :(

MJH

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:04:14 pm »
Theres a few other posts on this if you check, i would always use protecktokote it is superb stuff and as stated above prevents you wrecking your van.
Beware its stinks, i was high as a kite for 2 weeks ::)

Clear Vision

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 10:07:21 pm »

Beware its stinks, i was high as a kite for 2 weeks ::)
If i'd had known that I would have taken you on for a couple of high rise office blocks that were very high! ;D

Majestic

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 10:09:32 pm »
I got mine from 
 http://www.andwat.co.uk/acatalog/ANTI-CORROSION_PAINT.html

My van was ply lined but I took off the eddging trims , sealed all around the edges before I applied it and  and went up the van sides about a foot.It does smell for quite a while though

Kev R

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 10:26:54 pm »
Firstly make sure your ply is clean and grease free. give it a good scrub  /degrease then let it dry.  Seal the edges with bathroom silicone, then tape  with masking tape over the sealant. let it dry for 12hrs. Now you can apply the protectacote, (over the silicone and masking tape) do it in a ventilated space with all the doors open. I would suggest doing the whole floor and two inches up the side wall, use masking take for the line. Then leave to dry. It does have an odour for a few days but its not to bad, just drive with the window open. Its like any painting, your prep is more important than the painting itself!

Hope this helps

rhino

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 09:44:13 am »
Got mine from www.boatpaint.co.uk
At a total price of £65.38 is was cheaper than andwat at the time.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 09:52:42 am »
Luke,

If you are lining over ply then Protectacote themselves recommend you put a watered down layer of emulsion on before you do your first coat.

BTW:  Make sure you give the ply a good sanding first and hoover up all the dust.  They also suggest you roller on the first layer and stipple brush the second coat of the protectacote its self.

We recently did our van and followed their instruction carefully and its a fab (and cheap) way to protect the van floor itself.

Sarah

PS  :  AS the guys have already said Its stinky (and toxic) stuff so make sure the area is well ventilated and you wear a mask at all times.  People pass out by inhalling too much of its fumes.

Sarah

Wrekin C S

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 12:03:32 pm »
Here's some stockists its a link from the protectakote website it also has instructions of use on there - http://www.protectakote.co.uk/stockists.htm

hope this helps ;)

rugby

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 01:00:18 pm »
i would never leave ply down,my transit also  took a trip to the scrapyard,floor was rotten because water was finding a way under the ply,pure water will rot a van floor in no time.

kevin thomson

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 03:00:10 pm »
luke are you the guy that asks loads off questions

Highrise

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 08:13:27 pm »
Luke... How old or new is the peugeot.... If its an old one what the heck, But if you can affoed it,Use Speedlining....
When your windows are clear, My conscience is clear...