This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

terry gurr

resin
« on: July 12, 2007, 08:18:00 pm »
Hi all, i was just wondering is there different quality resin or is it all the same grade ?
If there is a difference is it purely a case of "you get what you pay for " ???
   thanks

Luke Johnson

Re: resin
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 08:25:57 pm »
I've been wondering that too

Clear Vision

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 08:27:34 pm »
Purolite and dowex are the 2 I know of.

I dont know the difference though? :-[

NWH

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:29:10 pm »
Essentially Pure good quality resin it lasts ages,some don`t.

DASERVICES

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 08:46:24 pm »
Looking after your resin can give you an extra months usage as well.

Luke Johnson

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 08:49:03 pm »
I think I will vacuum pack mine, my mum has these bags that suck the air out with a hoover, they remove aroud 90-95% of the air

jouk45

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 08:50:09 pm »
purolite is exelent, i have never had any probs using it,

jouk45

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:53:02 pm »
why dont the manufacturers make them resealable????

terry gurr

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 08:55:07 pm »
what exactly do you mean by looking after it ? is that once the bag has been opened ?
or whilst its in the cylinder ?

jouk45

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 09:08:07 pm »
once the bag is open, you need to make sure its sealed closed as not to let any moisture in,
as this can degrade the resin, sure thats what doug means, they should either sell resealable bags,with the resin, or give one free with it,  ;D
like this burst proof bag similar to what post office use, now that would be a caring thought from a wfp supplier, ::)

http://www.hazelvalleypackaging.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=111&products_id=130

terry gurr

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 09:12:22 pm »
i see thanks. will make sure mine is sealed properly.

DASERVICES

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 09:19:49 pm »
Jouk how long does Purolite last you, I found it lasted around 3 and a bit months.

Good tip, always drain your water at the end of the day in your di vessel. To do this disconnect your inlet connection and then let your outlet connection onto the road. Your di vessel must be in your van, if you don't do this then all the water will not come out.

It will add an extra 2 weeks onto your life of your resin per fill.

Clear Vision

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 09:40:26 pm »
Doug,

Can you shed some light on this for me?

My tap tds is 030ppm But I use a ro to purify which costs me peanuts but is slow and my mains pressure isn't high.

I have 2 small di vessels which I used to use but would like to mount them in the van so I can just fill up with tap water! (a lot quicker)

I think the vessels are 11 inches high.

How long would a vessel full of resin last me? a week? 2 weeks?

How long would a sack last me?

Which is best for me? Dowex or purolite?

Cheers

Matthew
Clear Vision

DASERVICES

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 10:06:20 pm »
Matthew,

The DI vessel you have is too small, you would have to use the same water pressure that comes out of the RO to make it work. A faster flow the TDS will come out around 025ppm as there is not enough surface for water to flow through. You therefore need a bigger di vessel.

Have never tried Dowex so cannot comment but Purolite a bag would last 3 and a bit months. Tried Rohm and found it was slightly better. Then sourced my own resin from another supplier ( which I sell ) and have managed to get 6 mnths out of it. The guy who I bought the resin off told me how to get the best out of your resin which has helped in getting 6 mnths out of a bag. Other window cleaners have also found out as well.

So from spending around £250 on resin last year I will be spending around £130 this year which is not bad.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Clear Vision

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 10:12:15 pm »
Doug,

Im confused by your first paragraph?

I would mount it in the van and work it through my van mount. How could it come out at 025ppm? I used it in my van before and it came out at 000ppm? I only used it for a week so don't know how long it would have lasted for?

What size do you recommend I go for?

If your still coming up this way would you have room for a sack of resin? (only if I decide in time to go back down the di route)?

Cheers

Matthew

DASERVICES

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 10:31:19 pm »
Here is Gardners link :- http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html

I presume you have a 250 ml vessel which is used after the ro system, if you attached normal hose connections to this then this would not work with normal tap pressure. It only works when the flow of water is slow which you get from an r/o unit.

You will need at least a 7l vessel cheapest are these guys that I know http://www.gapswater.co.uk/acatalog/vessels.html

Should be coming up your way in Aug or Sept, depending when I can grab a cheep travellodge ;D

jouk45

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 10:41:58 pm »
Jouk how long does Purolite last you, I found it lasted around 3 and a bit months.

Good tip, always drain your water at the end of the day in your di vessel. To do this disconnect your inlet connection and then let your outlet connection onto the road. Your di vessel must be in your van, if you don't do this then all the water will not come out.

It will add an extra 2 weeks onto your life of your resin per fill.

mines lasts about  5 months, but recently i check my tds from the mains tap, its gone up from 24ppm to 49ppm????

KarlJones

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 11:00:30 pm »
My tap tds is 030ppm But I use a ro to purify which costs me peanuts but is slow and my mains pressure isn't high.

I have 2 small di vessels which I used to use but would like to mount them in the van so I can just fill up with tap water! (a lot quicker)

I think the vessels are 11 inches high.
I am going to guess they are 750ml but someone will correct if I am wrong.
How long would a vessel full of resin last me? a week? 2 weeks?
If you are using one, and it is 750ml, then that one would start to lift after 500 litres,  The second one wouldn't have to do anything until the first one starts to lift so I guess that one could manage another 750 liters.
If you keep rotating them so the second becomes the first, and you refil the one that was first in line but your putting as second, then it would get around 750ltrs per rotation I guess (guess I said).
How long would a sack last me?
With one filter, the sack would last 16,700 ltrs.  However the rotation gives you about 50% extra (so I am told).  But even without rotation you are only paying about "half a penny" for a litre.

Obviously bigger DI filters would be less messing about.
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

macmac

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 11:38:45 pm »
Clear vision
Your DI vessels are 11" x 8" & volume of 11Ltrs. using 2 of these in sequence with DOWEX resin, shaking the vessels when tds starts to rise & with your tap tds the resin will last ages. probably cost you 150quid at the most per year in resin.
As for re-sealing the bag once opened, i just tie mine back up with some string, never had a problem. infact, i'm sure it states on the bag not to let it dry out ???

tony

macmac

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 11:40:45 pm »
Terry

I've tested purolite & dowex back to back, dowex lasted far, far longer. never bought purolite sinse.

tony