Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jeff1

New Pole comparison chart
« on: July 01, 2007, 04:47:05 pm »
Just been on gardiners web to check out there sale on the 18' universal poles and found a new pole comparison chart.

Just like to say thank you to Alex it made my choice a little easier.

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html

sorry Guy's I tried to put he link to the chart on but I can't get back onto alex's site, my isp is playing up today, so if anyone can put the direct link up it would help, its under the Water Fed Pole Shop section, under the section Pole Comparison, Summary and Rigidity Quotient

Moderator David@stives

Re: New Pole comparison chart
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 05:30:30 pm »
Just had a look and I was very impressed. This has to be the best and most comprehensive information available and he (and whomever have done a very solid job of assembling it). Absolutely outstanding, but he is reckoned to be a pole expert so it's not a great surprise.

I remember Philip Hansen coming on here and asking about a standard pole comparison but was obviously way, way out of his depth when AG got technical and it turned out Gardiner had had his own standard tests for years.

Now that it's out there i expect others will soon copy. Maybe it could be called a Gardiner scale?

One minor techinal point, will the site still sell anything with all that info. Brilliant thought it is and clearly presented it must be dazzleing to some.

DASERVICES

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 05:30:44 pm »
Absolutely brilliant, this is the best piece of content I have seen on any website.

Well done Alex.

Luke Johnson

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 08:05:10 pm »
Well done Alex, more people should make their websites like this

*foxman

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 08:25:25 pm »
At little bit suspect that some of the poles they review don't actually sell so it comes across very biased, you can hardly call it a reliable source! There are some outright wrong statements on there too.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 08:53:43 pm »
Foxman,

Inform us of the wrong statements and we will try and correct them if they are indeed incorrect. I assure you that all of the pole types we have reviewed we have had in our workshops.

I'm sure that on another Forum there was quite a bit of discussion about your 'bias', wasn't there.

All we have tried to provide is an accurate across the board analysis of various pole statistics, most of which are fairly freely available.

*foxman

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 10:39:53 pm »
Didn't mean to get your back up Al.

I'm sure that on another Forum there was quite a bit of discussion about your 'bias', wasn't there.

Not quite sure what you’re on about there. We've all got bias in one area or another, thats what i'm pointing out here. ;)

Anyway, the comparisons are not comparisons just generic statements i.e.

"Prone to surface and clamp wear after extended use, fixed length of pole you cannot easily add another section on whilst working."

this appears on the first 3 poles but the X-tel clamps are far far superior to the universal and Extender and the guide fails to point this out. The X-tel poles are the first type to be made specifically for window cleaning so you can't really paint them with the same brush can you?

On the Aluminium poles such as Omnipole's Powerpole and Tucker poles it says "The very real risk of electrocution on overhead power cables." I didn't notice this on the Super-Lite modular pole? Surely it's the same risk?

Ionics E2 (Ergolite) its say"It also has an overly heavy brush/gooseneck"

Who says and compared to what? Maybe there is reason for it, extra strength, stability, etc

Unger Carbon-Tec section it says "To adjust the pole length you have to shut off your water flow unscrew a section and re-screw it up again"

Since when? you've not been using it correctly if this is the case, you put the water feed up a few sections then you take what ever sections off you want without touching the feed.

Also "with no provision to adjust the pole incrementally"

Doesn’t this also apply to Super-Lite modular pole, but there is no mention..?

What about all the Super-Lite modular pole advantages?

"The ability to add/take away section when not required. No clamps to wear. Easy to store when not in use."

Why aren't these on the Unger Carbontec or any other modular pole advantages?

This is what I mean by bias. It's hardly the Which report.

It's quite amusing to see post like this:-

Just had a look and I was very impressed. This has to be the best and most comprehensive information available and he (and whomever have done a very solid job of assembling it). Absolutely outstanding, but he is reckoned to be a pole expert so it's not a great surprise.

I think there needs to be a little balance that’s all!

DASERVICES

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 11:43:24 pm »
Foxman,

Can see where you are coming from but have you yourself looked into these poles, straight away I can see mistakes from your comments.

Alex has been in the business since the beginning of wfp so I value his veiws as even when I bought goods off them Kirsty told me the truth and was correct. Not like some suppliers I will not mention who are out just to sell their goods and don't tell you the ups and downs. 

Have a look at this forum and check out old posts and you will see a lot have similar veiws. We need more guys like Alex in this business who are genuine and not try and sell you a system then dump you on the side when things go wrong.

Put it this way there is a price monoply amongst some suppliers, Gardners have broke that mold. Hats off to them.

Anyway there is no pleasing everyone, not even the misses  ;D

*foxman

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 12:49:31 am »
Can see where you are coming from but have you yourself looked into these poles, straight away I can see mistakes from your comments.

D.A I would appreciate it if you could point out what mistakes I’ve made so I don't look like an idiot and missed something blatantly obvious!!

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 06:53:23 am »
Foxman,
If you find my statement so amusing please tell where there is better and more comprehensive information available regarding an across the board comparison of window cleaning water fed poles.

I repeat that I was very impressed by it, and it's obvious that it is a very solid job that must have involved a great deal of work, thought, and probably disscusion. Unless you can come up with another comparable guide elsewhere then by definition that makes it outstanding. And Gardiner is reckoned a pole expert that's just a fact.

That's not to say there can't be things you could quible with, you say he includes reviews of poles he doesn't even sell, well how else would it be comprehensive?

I'm not a pole expert, or anything like, but I can recognise when something (a giude) has been well put together. For all I know some of your points may be valid, but they seem to me petty if you are using them for reasons to rubbish this guide and my first impressions of it. I think there is a bit of pole envy going on Foxman.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 07:47:03 am »
Morning Foxman,

I'm glad to see that you have only picked holes in my Pole Summary overview, not my statistical analysis which is what everyone else was talking about.

The Pole Summary has been on the website now for about 2 years, it had obviously passed you by until now. The purpose of the summary was to provide the novice user with a quick guide to the main differences in the pole types not to catalogue every feature. To answer some of your points specifically:

A lot of the statements are 'generic' in that a lot of the poles out there use very similar methods to achieve their aim, very few are inventive.

Whilst I personally like and use the new X-Tel range, I do not consider the poles that different in principle to the extender or universal clamps. Yes they do have easier to use clamps but in principle they are just a nylon band squeezing onto a fibre glass/carbon fibre pole section. My personal thought is that they will prove to have similar wear characteristics to the Universal range. Time will tell with this one.

Electrocution -  the Super-Lite pole when we sold it had an Insulated base section, haven't noticed that on the Tucker/Powerpole set-up when I was last using them.

The Ionics gooseneck/brush is overly heavy. Maybe it is 200g lighter than the Facelift but it is still too much.

With the Unger Carbon-Tec at some point you do have to uncrew the water flow section to remove sections, unless you screw it in first and have the hose trailing the whole 45ft down, which makes a mockery of Unger's through the pole technology.

The only comment I have failed to include on the Unger Carbon-Tec compared to the Super-Lite is the statement "No clamps to wear", I apologize for this massive mistake and will rectify it after doing penance.  The other comment I failed to include was that the Unger Carbon-Tec also had an overly heavy gooseneck brush arrangement, but then the whole pole is overly heavy.

To everyone else, thanks for the feedback.  :)

*foxman

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 10:01:25 am »
Eco, your right. I personally haven't looked to see if there is another pole comparision out there, so if it is the only one it's the best by default. I think PWC mag has one coming out soon but then again i imagine it will be leaning in a certain direction  ;) Then again it's the same problem it's a sales tool, they are hardly going to let you know if there is a better pole out there that they don't sell.

The data can be used in a number of misleading ways, politicans having been doing this for years!

Philip Hanson

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 11:21:59 am »
Anything that helps window cleaners to distinguish between the ever more subtle differences between the poles available is to be welcomed, in my opinion, and a comparison between poles is definatley a good idea.

Its can be a very sticky area when you make claims about other people's products, especially when comparing them (usually unfavourably) to something else.  A couple of years ago the Advertising Standards Authority upheld several complaints from a waterfed pole manufacturer regarding comparative claims that were misleading.
See it here:
ASA Adjudication

There is some very useful information here in Alex's chart, however I have noticed several things that I would take issue with.

Real Weights and Lengths
The poles compared are at 34ft are:
Superlight 2 - Carbon Fibre
Facelift - Carbon Fibre
Xtel Hybrid - Glass Fibre AND Carbon Fibre
Ionics Ergolite GF - Glass Fibre
Facelift GF - Glass Fibre
Ionics E2 Carbon Fibre - Carbon Fibre

My personal opinion is that this is not a fair comparison. As some poles are glass and some carbon, these are not like-for-like comparisons.

In particular I notice that the glass fibre ergolite is used as a comparison, rather than the carbon fibre (which is much close comparison to the facelft).  The glass fibre ergolite is (as far as I'm aware) no longer in production.  My guess is that this pole was used simply because the figures were to hand (in Ionic's pricelist) and perhaps Alex had a customer or knew a window cleaner who had one.  Still, not a fair comparison I think.

Secondly, the weights.  Forgive me but I have personally weighed some of the poles you are comparing and my results differ from yours.  I did not use the published weights, because these are a bit vague sometimes, rather I actually put the poles on the scales myself.

I weighed the complete poles, with brush and gooseneck attached and internal hose. (though the internal hoses were not full of water)

Pole       .        .        .       .My Weights     .          .           . Your Weights
Facelift CF 44ft .      .         5.4 Kg     .        .        .            .     4.5Kg
E2 Carbon Fibre 45ft.        5.3 Kg    .         .        .         .     .  6.0Kg
Universal Pole 45ft CF   .   7.3Kg   .    .   .   .                  .       6.2Kg

(A note about the universal pole, you dont say whether you meant Carbon or glass fibre, I only wighed carbon fibre becuase in my opinion a 45 foot glass fibre pole is next to useless.  If you meant Glass fibre, that could explain that difference)

This is quite a different in measurement, so much so in fact that I'll be getting the scales out again this afternoon to double check.

Rigidity Quotient

As far as I can understand, this is a measure of the rigidity of the poles based on their "reversed % deviation from 0 degrees on a horizontal plane under zero load".  I think this means that you clamped the base of the poles to a raised surface (perhaps a work bench) and extended them.  You then measured the angle that each 'drooped' from the horizontal.

Like this:(see the bottom)

The maximum droop would of course be 90 degrees (making it vertical).  So, if a pole drooped say 10 degrees, you could say its % droop would be 10/90 = 11%.  Therefore its rigidity would by 89%

Measuring rigidity of a pole is (as I have said before) a complex business.  I suppose this is as good a way of doing it as any, but some would say that as the pole is being left to bend under its own weight, and therefore how much a pole bends is largely dependent on how heavy it is.  However, you could argue that this is true of it when its being used too, how much it bends is quite dependent on its own weight, so in my opinion this is quite a fair measure of rigidity.

One thing I must emphasize is that it is very important to test all poles when they are new, and have never been used for window cleaning.  I note that Alex says that these are poles they have had in their workshop. I would clarification as to what exactly that means, because it sounds to me like these are poles which belonged to people that you knew, rather than ones you bought brand new.  If thats the case then I'm afraid I don't think that is a fair test, as clamps wear over time and affect the rigidity of the over all pole.

Foxman, you're quite right that I'll be publishing some data about pole comparisons very soon, its a subject of great interest to me and I think to a lot of window cleaners.But they won't lead in any direction except that of what the evidence points to, and you're more than welcome to come here and we'll re-set up the tests up together.  I think its a fascinating area, and one that is obviously useful to study.

It is also a rather expensive exercise, and that (I think) is why it hasn't been done before.  Getting hold of a new 45ft Tucker, 45 Ft Ergolite-2, 45 ft Original Ergolite, 45 ft Facelift, 45ft Universal, 60ft E2, 57ft Eco-Lite and an Unger CarbonTec cost over £5,000.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

*foxman

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 11:28:22 am »
Well I think that says it all!

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 11:34:08 am »
Unfortunately for me the poles were new - my housekeeping is now non-existant and the kids have no shoes!  When Alex gets back from work I'm sure he will elaborate on the above comments.

Mrs A

P.S.  He's actually using four of the different poles at work today.

*foxman

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 11:58:11 am »
Alex, I'm not picking a fight just showing the bigger picture which some seem to miss.

The Ionics gooseneck/brush is overly heavy. Maybe it is 200g lighter than the Facelift but it is still too much.

I would totally disagree with statements like this. We've had the Diamondback pole which has the lightest brush head I’ve ever used; problem is it's too light! Using it over 40ft it was a hard job keeping the brush head on the glass, esp if there was a light wind. We had to resort to using a much heavier 40ft universal pole which believe it or not was a better pole - even with the heavier weight - for that particular job.

It's your opinion that it's overly heavy, there are no other factors included which have relevance in the real world durability, ease of use, etc.

I'm just pointing out that you have to be a little wary when people compare items they sell against items they don't. The pole guide shouldn’t be seen as the ‘definitive’ pole comparison, where as Phil has pointed out, there are a lot factors to consider.

DASERVICES

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 12:19:43 pm »
Foxman,

Sorry but your confusing me, you refer to the Diamondback pole as the lightest brush head but you then had to change the pole to the universal pole as it was heavier. Why did you not change the brush head instead of the pole.

Alex's comments are aimed at the brush and not pole, is the Ionics brush heavier than the likes of vikan. ???

*foxman

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 12:33:57 pm »
Sorry but your confusing me, you refer to the Diamondback pole as the lightest brush head but you then had to change the pole to the universal pole as it was heavier. Why did you not change the brush head instead of the pole.

It's a fixed gooseneck/brush on the section itself, it's not that simple to just change over esp on a job!

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 06:11:49 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm back now!

This is what I like a decent discussion on this Forum, they have all been a bit boring recently.
 :)

The only way that improvements can be made in any industry is when information is used in a beneficial way.

Mr Hanson and Mr Fox,

First of all I would like to say that any points made here are not personal and none of yours are taken by me as such. I have great respect for your relative positions in the industry. All of this information is intended to simply help the average person struggling to see the differences out there in pole land!

This user/chooser guide is not meant to be definitive and indeed I do not think that it is titled as such, but I do think that it is the first time that anyone has been bothered to put in the hard work and shell out the money to do all of this work. I'm sorry if this has pre-empted your own test Philip, but I did not know that you were doing one!

First of all, yes of course all of the poles tested were brand new, bought at my own expense, I may be dim but even I know that a pole wears with use! The cost of this exercise, as Philip has pointed out, is quite expensive, which is why I have not included all of the poles available but stuck to the ones of a similar nature (composite construction with clamps for the RQ test).

As to Ionics ability to sue, I am fully aware of their litigious history and have no desire to advertise anything that could be construed as false information. I was quite disappointed by some of the Ionics results as I personally was planning on adding some of their poles to my commercial window cleaning firm's 'armoury'.

When comparing the 34ft pole category of course I included the glass fibre poles as well. Don't you think that the window cleaner out there in the real world wants to know what the difference is between them and carbon fibre? I certainly do. Philip you make note of the fact that I have included the glass fibre Ergolite in this comparison, you do not seem to have noticed that I have also included the Carbon Fibre Ergolite in the same chart. Interestingly though the glass fibre pole has a better g per cm rating (this is due to a longer actual length of the now out-dated glass fibre pole). So I think that it is a fair comparison as viewed by the consumer. I have included the Super-Lite weights more for interest sake rather than specific relevance.

As to the matter of weights, all the poles tested and weighed were weighed as the pole only, no brush, no gooseneck and no hose. This I felt was the only true comparative way of doing the test as most brush/gooseneck combinations have different weights. This will no doubt explain the difference in our weight findings. You mention that I quote the weight for a 45ft Universal pole, as far as I know have not done this. I cannot find any mention of this pole on my website at all! Where did you see this pole mentioned? I do know a bit about that awful pole though as worked with one for 3 years, carbon fibre gave it some rigidity but certainly not lightness!

The rigidity test was quite a 'doosy' to set up, it took quite a time to figure out the best way of measuring this. The level of flex in the horizontal plane was quite large compared to when in use vertically, but I felt that it offered the only real world way of comparing them. Once again I used only brand new poles with no gooseneck, brush or hose fitted as this would be the only fair way to test them all. I used a theoretical maximum declination of 45 degrees as the actuality of a pole flexing to 90 degrees would be rare and also allows the percentage figure to show the difference more clearly. The practicality of this test means that you need a very long, very level floor area. I would have liked to test the poles I had at a much greater length than the length I used, but in reality the extent of declination on the poles at lengths in excess of 35ft make it almost impractical to do as you would need to conduct the test on a bench about 3-4meters off of the level surface.

I like your sketch Philip, it explains the process neatly. A better measure in future might be to have the pole bases fixed to a holder on the ground with a bar about 100cm up from the floor that the poles would rest on at an angle of say 15 degrees. If each pole was 'loaded' with a 500g weight at the top, you could then measure the final head deviation off of the 15 degree starting angle. I simply did not have the facilities to accurately measure the rigidity in this way. I took a lot of extra measurements whilst testing that I have not put on the website, it is interesting how each pole varies at different extension lengths. I thought that publishing any rigidity test results at anything less than the 8.3m would be irrelevant to the real world.

I look forward to your test results when you have conducted them, could have saved myself the effort if I had known!

I would have thought that the various manufacturers would have loaned the equipment to you rather than you having to buy them all.