Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dean Aspects

Floods
« on: June 26, 2007, 05:16:14 pm »
All this talk of wfp or trad
do you work in the rain
which pole etc etc...all pales into insignificance

I think we should spare a thought for those that cannot work due to the floods in various parts of the country
their houses have been flooded some losing personal possesions that cannot be replaced
Parts of the country look like refugee camps that you would expect to see in the third world
its all to easy to watch the news and dismiss it as not concerning us but it does because its in this country and some of those people could be your family or friends or a fellow w/c

simon knight

Re: Floods
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 05:30:50 pm »

Hear Hear!!!...Well said that man!

Dean Aspects

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:17:09 pm »
Seems that it is happening again in another part of the country
i feel so sorry for the people caught up in the floods

Majestic

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 03:55:34 pm »
And how many would not of been insured

Blackbushe Windows

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 04:02:15 pm »
My cons. was flooded Fri. but back to normal now as have it organised to deal with flooding and was home and able to lift carpets etc. Never seen sustained rain like that before!! Major worries for many folks though and will take along time to put right.

Peter
Blackbushe Windows.
Est. 1983
www.blackbushewindows.co.uk

colley614

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 04:10:20 pm »
I was just thinking about Sheffield a few days before the floods. Used to have a big job up there in the middle of town, it took 5 lads a week to do. I remember the guy in the burger bar used to call the young lads "love" seemed a nice place Sheffield. I felt sorry for the people over there when I heard.

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 04:27:38 pm »
It would be nice for any wfp W/C who lives around the area or near by to fill there tanks with fresh tap water and deliver it to the people in need,

I would love to help, but a 200 mile round trip with just 250 ltrs won't be worth it, but if the situation got any worse then I would do it.

There now loosing all water and electricity, it would be good new for window cleaners, if they were seen to help those in need,  there are plenty of cameras around to film the ocassions of W/C's  dishing out clean water, not many other trades out there can help like we can.

jikwan

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 04:45:24 pm »
im sorry   dont mean to sound  the uncompassioned type
but,
wherever theres entrances to the house, you know there maybe possibility of flooding  invest 15 quids worth of bricks
+cement  seal the entrances cement2to1 or 1to1  use a hairdryer if you must  should be no problem
takes an hour to knock down
ive seen documentarys of major flooding   people busy with sandbags etc   neat cement dries real fast
its either ignorance or cant be bothered to build a small temporary wall
living near a river+warnings of flooding  commonsense to have bricks cement+heavy duty
Zen is the art of seeing everything.....noticing nothing

jikwan

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 04:46:42 pm »
hairdrier

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 04:56:21 pm »
im sorry   dont mean to sound  the uncompassioned type
but,
wherever theres entrances to the house, you know there maybe possibility of flooding  invest 15 quids worth of bricks
+cement  seal the entrances cement2to1 or 1to1  use a hairdryer if you must  should be no problem
takes an hour to knock down
ive seen documentarys of major flooding   people busy with sandbags etc   neat cement dries real fast
its either ignorance or cant be bothered to build a small temporary wall
living near a river+warnings of flooding  commonsense to have bricks cement+heavy duty
Some of them never had any warnings ::) not many people can build a wall, or would you become a builder from hell, and jump on the band wagon???????

A brick wall won't give them electricity, and it won't give them fresh water, Tesco's were restricting water to 2 bottles per person, including a woman with a new born baby.

john tomkins

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 04:57:12 pm »
I don't seem to have heard other countries sending us any cash/services because of this flooding, if it had been any other country our so called "government" would have soon been handing out millions, sending in special teams to help etc etc.
It's like, oh the UK is having a few problems, they'lll
 sort it ok. >:(

jikwan

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 05:18:27 pm »
england isone of the richest countries on the planet
needs help from no one
the government(practically all governments,)can make lightning fast changes to anykind of situations
they dont  why not?
should stop here  its not the right forum for this subject

john tomkins

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 05:29:45 pm »
england isone of the richest countries on the planet
needs help from no one
the government(practically all governments,)can make lightning fast changes to anykind of situations
they dont  why not?
should stop here  its not the right forum for this subject

So it's alright to say, "build your own walls for protection and  dry them with a hairdryer" ....dear oh dear ::)

Davew

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 05:49:11 pm »
It's rained all day here in Wilts so there is every chance that the flooding will spread. Bad news all round. :(

jikwan

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 05:55:27 pm »
hi john
its just a concept
have i ever in a flooding situation? no
just cant understandwhy instead of sandbags they dont use breezeblocks etc
ive been a builder for afew years
seen how fast fairly neat cement dries
use almost anymeans to dry it  accelerates it all
i better get off this site
understand the weather in derby is unbelievable
its all drizzle+ rain

twt

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 06:10:06 pm »
jikwan many people don't have space to store a few bricks and cement also you dont have the time to build a wall there is a reason why its called FLASH FLOODING unless the wall dries within 10 to 15 minutes it would be useless sandbags are quicker and easier and can be distributed on a large scale reasonably quickly.

jikwan

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 06:16:11 pm »
fair enough phil  good points

Davew

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 06:57:51 pm »
I thought cement and concrete needed moisture to set? Don't see a lot of brickies round here with a hair drier hanging off their belt.  ;D

john tomkins

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 07:14:45 pm »
I thought cement and concrete needed moisture to set? Don't see a lot of brickies round here with a hair drier hangong off their belt.  ;D

It does.....thats the water you add to the cement and sand ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 07:54:17 pm »
Good weather to build a house then?