This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Cleaner Windows

ladder servicing
« on: June 25, 2007, 08:50:45 am »
Are you supposed to buy a new ladder after a while or are they o.k if you keep em serviced?
just wondering cos mine could do with new feet now and one of the bolts had come loose on the hooks that stop the top section from sliding down  :o ive tightened that up now and its nice and secure (phew!!)

also some of the nuts and bolts look a bit rusty so not sure if/when to replace them, i've had this ladder for about 3 years, its one i bought from screwfix, 12 rungs and yellow ends, nice sturdy ladder, but for how long??  ;D
when I'm cleaning windows

jeff1

Re: ladder servicing
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 08:58:15 am »
I'll tell you how I used to service mine:-

All the rubber feet and bungs in each end of your ladder sections should be of the same size,
I used to remove the worn feet and replace them with good ones from another part of the ladder, you can do this upto 3 times before you have to buy new rubbers. (put the old ones in the place you removed good ones from)

Remove the old one's and bolt them into place useing locking nuts, and while your at it, relace all the bolts again useing locking nuts.

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:06:08 am »
not all my feet are bolted in though, the actual feet at the bottom are but the top end ones are riveted and seems a shame to start hacking and bodging it up, i would have to drill through the rivets and right through to the outside face making a hole in it to put a new nut and bolt through, im not saying i wouldn't do that but it does seem a bit much  ;) my main concern is the bolts that hold the rung hooks in place could rust right through and one day I'll be plumetting off the ladder again :(

Clear Vision

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:12:21 am »
I use a ladder thats about 20 years old for a few jobs! Never been serviced once and is as safe as houses!

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 10:21:30 am »
not all my feet are bolted in though, the actual feet at the bottom are but the top end ones are riveted and seems a shame to start hacking and bodging it up, i would have to drill through the rivets and right through to the outside face making a hole in it to put a new nut and bolt through, im not saying i wouldn't do that but it does seem a bit much  ;) my main concern is the bolts that hold the rung hooks in place could rust right through and one day I'll be plumetting off the ladder again :(
Change the bolts in the hooks then?
If you feel unsafe in there use then I would  strongly recommend you change them for a new set.

Cleaner Windows

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:37:11 am »
just wondered how long they are supposed to last really! the bolts look a bit rusty to me but it maybe only surface rust.... be good to hear a few opinions on the timescale for replacing or getting rid :)

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 12:12:26 pm »
You have to be the judge of the condition of your ladders, it depends on where you store them, how you use them and how offten you use them?

Remove one or two of the bolts and check for there condition, but if your going to do that, then you may just as well replace them at the same time, don't mess around thinking they may be ok, its only 4 nuts and bolts on the 2 hooks and the Jobs done, stay safe and do it properly, there is no time limit as to when the Job should be done?

shammy davis jnr

Re: ladder servicing New
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 03:26:10 pm »
 i change my ladders every three years regardless off condition for all they cost as i employ guys i dont take any chances for a large double section ,i pay a couple of hundred for them wooden with aluminium rungs ,i still use wood ,no1.becase it is kinder to sand stone and plus it wears away after constant use and gives you a good idea as to the condition they are in ,i use swivel suction cups on all ladders, and as soon as the rubber is thread bear it gets replaced for a couple of quid
small price to pay for pice of mind costs me about a grand every three years but i need them for work  end off
you think how much you spend a month on your mobile phone bill and i like most could do without it at times  but my ladders i cant
just number each one and give it log book  ie weekly check 
if sat get an employee to sign they use them every day and should know what needs re[placed  have a small stock and get them to doccument it if they replace anything  hope this helps
think safe be safe  none off the car booty crap for me and my lads
and its all tax deductible  ;D ;D bonus
dont f,,k about when it comes to ladders
yours davis