This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

allyoops

public liability insurance pressure washers
« on: June 23, 2007, 09:12:37 pm »
Hi guys,I wonder if you can help me?I am having trouble locating an insurance company that will insure pressure wahing for public liability,some have said they no longer insure pressure washing as there have been several large claims,they wouldnt expand on that.The last one I tried was axa, again a negative,any comments gratefully received as all my equipment arrives in the next fortnight and I want everything in place,cheers Neil

Ged

Re: public liability insurance pressure washers
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 11:08:28 pm »
CETA insurance . cost 80 squid for 2000000 cover but thats for established business. if you don't employ staff then there is no legal requirement for insurance but it is advisable to have it just in case.. a call to local chamber of commerce or broker might be advisable. hope that helps.

Ged

allyoops

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:18:18 pm »
Thanks will take your advice,any more suggestions gratefully received

steve k

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 03:50:39 pm »
Ged...if you do any work on a 3rd parties premises, you need PUBLIC LIABILITY insurance...even if you are a sole trader. This covers you against claims made by a 3rd party (the publc)  fo damages caused by you or your work.

If you work alone, you do NOT need EMPLOYEES LIABILITY insurance...this covers you against claims made against you by your employees.

drivewasher

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 06:34:00 pm »
Ged...if you do any work on a 3rd parties premises, you need PUBLIC LIABILITY insurance...even if you are a sole trader. This covers you against claims made by a 3rd party (the publc)  fo damages caused by you or your work.

If you work alone, you do NOT need EMPLOYEES LIABILITY insurance...this covers you against claims made against you by your employees.

I think what Ged is trying to say is that if you employ people then EMPLOYERS liability is a legal requirement and a copy of it has to be on display where your empolyees can see it.
But if you work alone you don't need employers liability. Publicly liability is not a legal requiremt but you would be foolish not to have some, as this covers things like scratching a sideboard with your toolbox and members of the public tripping over tools hoses etc
I'm always in the poo, it's just the depth that varies

Clean-Tech

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 09:13:45 pm »
Hi everyone first post on here, i have been in the pressure washing business since April 07, so far things have been going well and plenty of work out there, booked up solid for the next 3 weeks.

Regarding Neils question about Public Liability insurance i got mine through Gladiator with no problems. Detail as follows.

Public Liability                  - £2 Million
No of persons covered     - 1
Employers Liability           - Not included
No of employees              - 0
Tools cover                      - £0
Period of cover                - 12 Months
Premium                          - £109.25  Including admin charge

As being new to pressure washing i was happy with this, i hope this helps you Neil.

Gladiators phone number is 0870 040 3310

Regards

Mark

Ged

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 10:27:31 pm »
public liability insurance is not a legal requirement for sole traders. that's the law. consult your local HSE for clarification as i did.

Ged

allyoops

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:23:46 am »
Thanks Mark guardian were spot on sorted 5million cover £148 with £100 excess cheers Neil

steve k

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 07:58:10 am »
drivewasher...he says PUBLIC LIABILITY...

I don`t need to check...I will say again...ANY sole trader NEEDS public liability insurance.

If you do not have it, I pity the customer who is a victim of an uninsured worker who has to fork out for damages caused...there is no excuse and no justification...P?L insurance is absolutely buttons to purchase.

drivewasher

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 10:21:36 pm »
Yes I agree I will say again as GED DID

I have public liability I would be stupid not to have it, but it is NOT a legal requirement as employers liability IS if you employ anyone.
I'm always in the poo, it's just the depth that varies

John Kelly

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 12:23:15 am »
Anyone operating any kind of business, especially a cleaning business, would be an absolute fool not to spend a few hundred on public liability insurance. Even someone tripping over your hose could be crippled for life and if that person was a high earner and unable to continue their profession they could sue you for thousands which could mean losing your home and everything else you own.