Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Gutter Clearing
« on: June 22, 2007, 07:59:38 am »
On another thread the question of gutter clearing came up. Now I'm thinking that this might be a service to offer in the summer months over and above my round.

What kit do I need to do this safely and efficiently from the ground?

What about clogged gutters?

How do you check they're empty?

Thanks.
It's a game of three halves!

Chris Cottrell

Re: Gutter Clearing
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:13:25 am »
On another thread the question of gutter clearing came up. Now I'm thinking that this might be a service to offer in the summer months over and above my round.

What kit do I need to do this safely and efficiently from the ground?

Pressure washer / gutter lance / gutter attachment / hose reel for supply water & custys outside tap

What about clogged gutters?

not a problem if its really stuck use the gutter u bend as a hook and push it out

How do you check they're empty?

after a few you will not even need to check but you can feel if there is any thing left

Thanks.

clean team

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 02:32:41 pm »
ive got £400 worth to do tomorrow and i will get it all done no probs ;)

Mike 108

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 04:14:07 pm »
Where does all the 'crap' go when you blow it out of the gutter? - on the roof/on you/on the walls/windows/patio?  How much cleaning up is required after the gutters have been done?.. Thanks

billozz

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 04:31:04 pm »
i have heard about gutter cleaning lances etc what exactly is it you need to buy to clear them out from the ground, also would the same setup clean the outside of the gutter and the fascia's too
there are more windows than window cleaners so lets help each other

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 06:45:42 pm »
i have heard about gutter cleaning lances etc what exactly is it you need to buy to clear them out from the ground, also would the same setup clean the outside of the gutter and the fascia's too

you'll need a pressure washer & gutter lance with the gutter attachment and of course a good supply of water from the premises you are cleaning

And yes it will clean inside/outside and sofits too

Chris

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 07:19:19 pm »
I've got a cheap electric pressure washer, is that good enough?

The petrol driven one on northern tools is £900. would i need one to do drive cleaning also?

Or would I get away with a cheap generator driving it?

Also the wall cleaning attachments for the lance, are they any good?

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 09:21:19 pm »
I've got a cheap electric pressure washer, is that good enough?

I think you need to look at the lpm it needs to be a min of 7lpm for gutters and for driveways that's ok but a few more lpm would be better

The petrol driven one on northern tools is £900. would i need one to do drive cleaning also?

Not really the one I have is from NT and cost no more than £200

Or would I get away with a cheap generator driving it?

I think this way you will end up with 2 machines to maintain

Also the wall cleaning attachments for the lance, are they any good?

never used one sorry

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 10:31:21 pm »
The petrol power washer i got from NT was about £300, but i did go for a 3000psi.

Macc

matt

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 10:54:56 pm »
i went to clean a caravan this week, it was raining and they gave me the phone number so i thought i would earn a few quid in the rain

i used a 50 quid pressure washer, it worked a treat on the caravan

they were so pleased they then asked me to do the front gutters, it was bungalow, so i had a go, they were pretty green and manky,

it came up a treat

this washer was only 100 bar in power

Londoner

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 09:17:52 am »
There was a brilliant thread on here a couple of weeks ago about a suction device for doing gutters. I have looked back but I can't find it.

Davew

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 09:57:52 am »
Pressure washer wit a lance..... mmm got to be a lot quicker than waggling a wfp about when cleaning the outside?

marc

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 07:04:32 pm »
is it better to presure wash the gutter or a powerfull hoover to suck all the crap out is one better than the other  ie mess every where with presure wash but with hoover no mess to me its a no brainer but what sort of hoover and atactments would you need as i too am looking to add this service to my wfp any help info would be gratefull recived  thanks   marc                                                                                         

S.A.J

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 07:09:55 pm »
There was a brilliant thread on here a couple of weeks ago about a suction device for doing gutters. I have looked back but I can't find it.

I think this is what Vince is on about

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=37907.0

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 07:53:30 pm »
I think this really depends on what you need to do (service wise) I mean if do gutters with a p/washer and a lance you can do the insides & outsides also facias, sofits, wall washing & of course patios, and driveways, If you go the other way with a vacum machine then you suck out the insides only not the outsides but then you can do litter collection

So really depends on what service you want to offer

Chris

marc

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 09:48:53 pm »
hi chris i know what your saying but i can do the sofits and facias with my wfp suck the crap out of guttering with hoover and im still clean and so is every think around me im just wondering how many lads on here suck or blow or if you were going down this road with the gutter cleaning would you suck or blow                                                                                                                                                 marc

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 09:55:20 pm »
Marc

The difference doing gutters with p/washer & lance is you can get to all the dirt between the underneath of the gutter and the facia which you cant do with wfp ( I have tried it )

I do use this myself

marc

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 03:43:39 pm »
hi chris when you have finished power washing the gutters etc do you wfp after or do you not need to

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 03:57:36 pm »
Malc/Marc,

If finances allow I would most definately opt for the Omnivac with the camera as an additional option.

However, if spending several thousands of pounds are out of your budget (like me) then the Norther Tools Gutter Lance system is most definately a good option.

Any debris is forced down the downpipe and collected at the bottom.  You can then quickly blast the outside of the gutters themselves and finish with a window clean (with wfp) not the lance BTW  ;D ;D ;D

Its a fast, easy, effective alternative and once you have mastered the technique you wont need to check your work with or without a camera.

To date we have never had a customer ask for proof they are fully cleaned.

I have heard nothing but good reports about the Omnivac system though and Rods system above looks fab.

Sarah

Sarah

marc

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 07:17:45 pm »
thanks sarah do you know how much the onmi vac is and can that suck water as well it looks like a choice of two at the moment i thought i saw one at the show in the nec that was £800 ish extra long hose used for cleaning buses cant remember the make