This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Davew

Electrocution- new thread
« on: June 21, 2007, 07:00:53 pm »
Following on from a couple of previous threads I am now actively looking for overhead power cables on my round ........and what an eye opener it is they are EVERYWHERE some of my streets are full of them especially the older style properties some no more than a foot away from the glass I have been working on and no higher than about fifteen feet from the ground. I believe there are some very serious safety issues here especially when using carbon poles!

jeff1

Re: Electrocution- new thread
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 07:06:48 pm »
Dave

I'm glad its opened your eye's, to what danger is possible only a couple of feet away from you,  its now made you more aware and hopefully a little safer in awareness, Keep safe  ;)

Davew

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 07:19:35 pm »
Thanks Jeff it's a subject I was genuinely shocked (scuse the pun) to find that very few members even seem to mention or bother about. May I ask what your method is regarding this danger, do you have a golden rule i.e. no closer than x amount of feet? Or put the carbon pole away? Is there any benefit in insulating the most likely point of contact such as the top most section? I honestly know very very little about electrics. I did read of two builders being electrocuted when their ladder touched a cable some time ago. :-[

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 07:26:50 pm »
I was wondering that the electric flow would follow the water so maybe you could(outside the pole supply) let the hose free so that it was not in contact with the pole. Allowing the current to travel down the pipe and not down the pole and you could earth that, but then maybe if the hose was burnt/blastedoff then the electric would then find the other route and go down the pole anyway.  :(

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 07:31:39 pm »
Thanks Jeff it's a subject I was genuinely shocked (scuse the pun) to find that very few members even seem to mention or bother about. May I ask what your method is regarding this danger, do you have a golden rule i.e. no closer than x amount of feet? Or put the carbon pole away? Is there any benefit in insulating the most likely point of contact such as the top most section? I honestly know very very little about electrics. I did read of two builders being electrocuted when their ladder touched a cable some time ago. :-[
There is some Talk that in so many years know W/C has been electrocute by using a pole.
Now with more and more W/C taking up the pole, it could bring the possibility even closer.
My own method is very simple, I take a few seconds to do a cable risk assesment, if there are any cables that even look a bit dodgy, I have 2 choices do the Job and take the risk for a couple of quid or I leave it and explain to the customer why I feel its unsafe.
It will only take one or two W/C to be electrocuted before H & S start to jump on us again.
If these threads, can help to just make us all aware of the dangers around us, then it makes for a safer operative.

IF IN DOUBT LEAVE IT is it worth a couple of quid??

Davew

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 07:33:51 pm »
There's a couple of glaring safety aspects with this system - the other one is tank mounting. I'm sure they should be made "stickies" by the moderators likewise ladder safety. After all we are nearly all learning from each other - there are hardly any qualifications required in most of this trade.

jeff1

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 07:39:23 pm »
I was wondering that the electric flow would follow the water so maybe you could(outside the pole supply) let the hose free so that it was not in contact with the pole. Allowing the current to travel down the pipe and not down the pole and you could earth that, but then maybe if the hose was burnt/blastedoff then the electric would then find the other route and go down the pole anyway.  :(
The only safe way Jeff, is with a risk assesment on each Job and each time you go back.
I can see what your saying but with the amount of water we splash around (excluding you) there is always water on the brush and poles and the pole them selves being conductive, Like I said above with more and more W/C turning to wfp I feel its only time before we have a fatality and if it makes more and more people aware of the possible danger then we can make pole work that much safer.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 07:42:43 pm »
Just putting the arguments up and knocking them down myself.
Worksafe, keep safe  8)

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 07:44:26 pm »
Just putting the arguments up and knocking them down myself.
Worksafe, keep safe  8)
The more questions asked and answered will help everyone.

jouk45

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 10:24:35 pm »
here i go again  ;D
now what if some kind of waterproof live wire detector, with audiable sound alarm,
was fited to the head brush, if ever we got near one, it would screatch out a loud
noise,  keep safe for £4.35

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item.php/site/froogle/sn/598489

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 10:34:49 pm »
I know Tucker sell a wrap that goes onto the pole to insulate it so you don't get bolted.

You slide it on the heat it with a hair dryer i think. Keeps your hands warmer in the winter too, kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Their number is 01256 844046

Macc

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 10:36:29 pm »
I think I have one job where this is an issue. The suggestion of making it a sticky was superrb.

I would like a simple way of telling power from phone lines, possibly photo examples, this might be a good job for Dave and APWC.

vwm

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 10:44:52 pm »
here i go again  ;D
now what if some kind of waterproof live wire detector, with audiable sound alarm,
was fited to the head brush, if ever we got near one, it would screatch out a loud
noise,  keep safe for £4.35

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item.php/site/froogle/sn/598489

like the idea but dosnt eletric  travel faster than sound

jeff1

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »
I think I have one job where this is an issue. The suggestion of making it a sticky was superrb.

I would like a simple way of telling power from phone lines, possibly photo examples, this might be a good job for Dave and APWC.
The thickness of the cable should be enough for you to reconise it, a power cable will be 2-3 thicker than a BT cable, the only time a BT cable looks like a power cable is the type they lay under ground and its amoured cable, so this you won't see overhead.

I will try to get some pictures of the 2 types of cable.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 11:00:11 pm »
This is important.
I work in the country ( where isolated houses sometimes have this), but it is not something that has been in the front  of my mind. That's not to say I couldn't have been killed.

That APWC needs someone like you Jeff.

kiral1404

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 11:03:09 pm »
Please with all your best interests photos may help.
DO NOT take any photos as gospel there are so many different types of overhead cable out there with so many different types of configuration.
From region to region there are so many different types of cable. Even overhead linesmen have to look twice to check whats what.

Oh and the clearance for Power lines upto 1000v is inches. Can't remember exactly what they are but if you keep a foot away you'll be ok under normal conditions (Weather etc.)

Darren
Ex high voltage fitter

jouk45

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 11:09:15 pm »
 Posted by: Rain Water Eco WFP Systems
 That APWC needs someone like you Jeff.

sorry jeff has been sentence to life at the training academy  ;D

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 11:13:16 pm »
I'm inches, well a foot away from being fried, and what are APWC doing about it?

On the issue of photos some info would be better that none, what about looking for those insulator thingys?

kiral1404

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 11:20:14 pm »
The insulators against household services (generally 240v - 415v) are purely so the wire doesn't touch the house.

The wire comes from the pole reaches the house, the insulator holds the cable away and will go into the cut-out (electric board main fuse). Either inside or outside the house.

jeff1

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 11:36:17 pm »
Guy's there is NO Positive  way to stay safe, apart from going to work in a rubber wet suit  and having the local electricity company kill the power for us,
and we all know this won't happen?

we can take precautions with proper gloves and boots etc, but there is no better saftey precaution than a assesment of the area your working.
Just a couple of seconds to look around will  give you an idea and if Darren can get the distances for us, we will all stay safe if we abide by a few simple  common  sence rules.