Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DASERVICES

Dropping Customers
« on: June 21, 2007, 05:29:16 pm »
I am in a situation either take some one on or drop work as I currently have way too much and more coming in each day. Today had 5 jobs totally £100, have passed some work that has come in to other window cleaners.

Here is where I need your input for those who have done it, what has been the reaction when you have dropped your lowest accounts that are spread out. How did you go about it.

I have a good rapore with my customers so really don't want to get a bad name for dropping them as I will always bump into them now and again.

Thanks

Doug

AuRavelling79

Re: Dropping Customers
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 05:31:58 pm »
I'm in this position too. Any advice welcome!
It's a game of three halves!

Majestic

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 05:38:54 pm »
Could you not  just tell your  customers  that because of work comitments you will not be able to clean there windows anymore and give them the number of another window cleaner.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 05:46:35 pm »
I`ve been in the same situation aswell,first off make a list of all the work you know you wouldn`t mind losing,do a pro looking letter telling them you will have to either put the price up to X amount otherwise you will be unable to continue cleaning there windows.You will be very surprised how little work you`ll lose,if you`ve gone to the effort of doing a letter and letting them know they will appreciate it rather than you just not bothering to go back,in a way it tells them that you care.They will prefer to pay a bit more and stay with the devil they know rather than the devil they don`t so to speak,most of them don`t want the hassle of finding another wc.The most important thing from the customers point of view i find is trust,if they trust you they wont even batter an eyelid.A few years ago i had to do this and in some cases prices had to be doubled,all i got was yes that`s fine but can you do them more often.

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 05:50:08 pm »
Could you not  just tell your  customers  that because of work comitments you will not be able to clean there windows anymore and give them the number of another window cleaner.

Or drop them off a letter explaining in general terms why you're dropping them, giving them the numbers of some local lads.

I bet we've all dropped customers and not told them though; I know I have (I know I know).

Then they catch you while you're out shopping in Tescos on a Saturday...  ;D

NWH

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 05:51:44 pm »
I hate it when that happens,the Mrs says where did you get to.

DASERVICES

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 05:56:39 pm »
The problem is I'm in a situation where I am not getting around my round in the usual 5 weeks. I can't even go to the pub without someone asking me to clean their windows which is a good situation to be in.

As well as window cleaning I am getting asked to loads of other jobs which is good money. There will be the days which I'm sure a lot of you have where you do more travelling that work as the customers are spread out, these days I do not make as much money as some days. I have put the prices up on these houses.

I also want to just have 3 days work in a week which I am in the position to do now. So have to crop a lot of less paying jobs without it having a knock on effect.

Tosh

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:00:54 pm »
DA,

I'm in a similar position; just too much work and I don't know what to drop.

I'm preparing myself to stick my prices up and let my customers do the dropping...

if I find the back-bone to do it, mind.

NWH

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 06:04:39 pm »
If there`s travelling involved and that`s the main problem explain that to them,like i said i`ve had this same problem as a lot of my work is very rural.I told them that sitting in the van was costing me money,they all agreed to pay the new price which in most cases was double as i said.When you sit down and work it out you`ll end up doing the same amount of work for a lot more money,that`s the position to be in.Most sensible customers will understand this and not put up a fight as they know other wcs will view this kind of work the same as you.

pylofm

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 06:12:58 pm »
how about 8 weekly cleans.... ;D could you go that way at all?

Dave.

vwm

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 06:27:24 pm »
i gave all my low priced work to the lad who used to work for me, as he done the work anyway got me out of a hole  ;D

Tosh

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 06:28:38 pm »
how about 8 weekly cleans.... ;D could you go that way at all?

Dave.

Dave, for more money, yes!  But I'm not going to clean the same property, for the same price at longer intervals; they'll be dirtier and take longer.

pylofm

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 06:31:36 pm »
Tosh....I have a few 4 weekly and the difference between 8 & 4 weekly is not in my view that great....Like I said, it was just a thought :)

You could try it on a 'batch'

Dave.

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 06:50:29 pm »
why try to sell them on to someone local who needs more work?
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

Tosh

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 07:11:13 pm »
Tosh....I have a few 4 weekly and the difference between 8 & 4 weekly is not in my view that great....

Dave.

I agree , but the terms and conditions just seem far to much weighted in the customers favour.

I'm about to put my prices up; and I normally do this by letter; 'cos I think it's better to do it this way.  It's not exactly an 'easy' way of not facing a customer; because when I collect, I've got to face them and ask for the higher price.  I just think it's a better way of increasing your prices.

But I may design a form which gives an option for an every-other-month clean (I clean calandar monthly), as well as the regular monthly clean; just to see what the take up is.

For example, I reckon my average account is £8.00 to £8.50.  I could put them up by 50p, or give them the option of having it done every-other-month at £11.00.

What do you think?

pylofm

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 07:32:38 pm »
Tosh we all know we should not band prices around but ...My average for this year projected in 'George' is xx.xx pounds per job (should I not take/lose any this year)jobs, now all areas are different this I know but the 8 weekly does allow me to up the prices per clean...given that I am building my round slow...thats fine with me but in the end I hope to have a round that pays me well and perhaps will give me the ability to take someone on or just get rid of slow payers or 'the pool' woman who is like that Mrs. Bucket woman!!

8 Weekly for me means higher prices per clean/visit and the customer gets a deal too...

As with all things, different folks different strokes...it'll take me a little while longer to get anywhere near what I am after but get there I will and this 8 weekly to me makes sense for me and most people here in think 4 weekly is far to often anyhow...but in view of time and income 8 weekly is my choice and given the projections I have created for my business...I am happy with the choice.

Dave.

gordonswindows

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 08:04:28 pm »
Hi Doug
All the responses so far make a lot of sense but stop hedging and bite that employers bullet.
We are up in Perth and we were in the same situation as you now find yourself about four years ago. We now employ 28 "mollies"(that stands for molly mop) five window cleaners and have six vans on the go.Registered for vat with a new office in a fancy office block,spending my days behind a desk.

Was it easy? No
Do i miss my solo days out with a ladder? Yes
Do i still have a shed load of cash ? No
Are good staff easy to find?No

Why do it? cos its fantastic running your business instead of having a job,i love it when our mollies work is complimented or when a client calls to say thanks for the great job done on their windows.I take great pride to watch our team members progress from a new start to an important team player.

What do i hate?

Employers  insurance, national insurance contributions,employers tax,maternity leave,sick pay,etc etc etc

Go on and try it, its not easy, yes you get let down again and again, yes it costs money but go on be brave and  do it its great.
cheers
gordon
ps if it all fails i can always go back on the windys
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

Tosh

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 08:42:09 pm »
Tosh we all know we should not band prices around but ...My average for this year projected in 'George' is 19.56 pounds per job (

Dave,

When your prices are like mine, you can definately band them about; I'm not one of the 500-quid-a-day mob!

matt

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 08:47:49 pm »
why not sell the work

get together the stuff you dont want and sell it

from the posts last night, 20 ( TWENTY ) times the amount is about right  ;) you will be richer than a rich thing in richville

pylofm

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 08:51:30 pm »
I was not being funny...re: 'banding'...

At the end of it, the main reason I went 8 weekly was scope for the future and possible expansion of this business....for me....

I have to admit I like 8 weekly....the 4weekly jobs come around to soon...I get to move around a little more and leaflet more areas....

But at the end of the day up your prices and see what your custys do, treat it like an expirement 'just to see'.

Dave