Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jouk45

electrocution from our poles
« on: June 19, 2007, 12:30:33 pm »
this is just another though i had, i have seen a few topics lately about electrocution from our poles if we touch any live wires ect, why don't they just fit flexible earth straps to the base of the poles, then if electricity should hit the pole, it goes straight to earth, like the one picture below,
they come in any length
what you think jeff, or can that not be done

jeff1

Re: electrocution from our poles
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:36:14 pm »
I need to see the picture Joe, ;D ;D

But electricity  will  always go the quickest route to earth and just reading your post, it won't work, the electricity will still travel through the human body, unless your insulated from the pole.

Anyone who's worried about it Just wear rubber gloves, you hands may stink at the end of the day, but at least you'll be around to smell them. ;D

jouk45

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:51:23 pm »
jeff i know we would still get some of the shock, but would the earth strap not take it all to ground
and less shock to the body, i hate wearing gloves  ;D

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:57:38 pm »
Unless the window cleaner is thiner than the strap and wearing protection, ie,rubber gloves,rubber soled shoes, most of the electricity will run through the largest mass and the human body is about 80% water :o
Just a small shock is enough to kill.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 03:57:51 pm »
One of those things just trailing along the ground would be about as useful as a chocolate fire-guard.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but just being realistic.

Luke Johnson

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 04:47:08 pm »
Here is the real solution, just normal rubber gloves won't work, they need to be of a certain grade. These gloves are designed for electricians to touch wires up to 26,000 volts and still be safe http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Electricians%20Gloves

JM123

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 06:08:04 pm »
jeff, I thought women were about 45-55% water and men 55-65% water?

anyway, faradays effect is what this about, electric takes the easiest path, its all about how well the body conducts, or more appropriately, how easy it is for the electric to pass through the body.  If you have ever seen the northern linesmen in the US working you can see they work in a chain-mail suit - reason being the suit will conduct the current around the suit and away from the body.

An earth strap would work but would probably present more of a trip hazard than anything else - stick with the gloves!
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Luke Johnson

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 06:10:16 pm »
yes it is called a faraday suit, also use these gloves, not just any old gloves http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Electricians%20Gloves

JM123

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 06:20:43 pm »
thats the gloves I mean Luke, interestingly, electric behaves in the same manner as water, it will take the easiest path.

except there shouldn't be any water coming out of a ocket :o
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Luke Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 06:24:08 pm »
do you have some of them gloves?

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 06:34:17 pm »
jeff, I thought women were about 45-55% water and men 55-65% water?

anyway, faradays effect is what this about, electric takes the easiest path, its all about how well the body conducts, or more appropriately, how easy it is for the electric to pass through the body.  If you have ever seen the northern linesmen in the US working you can see they work in a chain-mail suit - reason being the suit will conduct the current around the suit and away from the body.

An earth strap would work but would probably present more of a trip hazard than anything else - stick with the gloves!
You could well be right about the % on the body  ;D

Don't forget though John, water and electric don't mix, sweaty hands and body's in the summer, mixed with standing in a pool of water and faradays effect will make the body the easiest path.
The line's man may well wear a chainmail vest, but he doesn't work with water splashing all around him or running down his arms.
I agree with the gloves, but as we all know they get left in the van or they get lost etc.
the only sure protection is a risk assesment.

Helen

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 06:40:47 pm »
Am I missing the point here, but as part of your risk assessment if there's that much chance of electrocution then you don't do the job.

Luke Johnson

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 06:42:47 pm »
I suggest a combination of things

1. good rubber boots
2.safety check-each time
3.anti electrocution gloves
4.insulated sections
5.never touching any wires!

jeff1

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 06:52:51 pm »
Am I missing the point here, but as part of your risk assessment if there's that much chance of electrocution then you don't do the job.
Ok You see the cable is very old and degrading or a job thats been done by billy the bodger,  do you take the chance for a few quid and do the job, or do you think its not worth it? and walk away?? I know I do.

The h&s rules and the laws of this country are very good and are there for our protection, but how often do you see anyone going around and checking the quality of external cables.?

But after all said and done, the chance of being electrocuted is very small and it only takes one W/C for this to happen to and h&s will be looking for more rules to throw at us.

All the above not only applies to wfp work, but ladders work as well.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 07:00:27 pm »
Great when theres 2 topics on the go  ;D So helen seems to have the one of the best answers- Risk assesment but maybe  backed up by the 5 combinations Luke has pointed out ?

kiral1404

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 01:53:08 pm »
Posted on the other topic about overhead lines.

Pure water is pure and in most cases gone through a di.

Dionised water is what we put in batteries. So far so good in effect the water should be safe.

But as you wash windows other things will get washed away by the water making the water impure and thereby increase the risk of flashover.

For the earth strap to work you will need to drive a earthing rod into the ground and connect it to the pole preferably the top Like a lightning rod on churches etc.

Best of all any chance of electrocution you don't do the job.

If you need to do it the the electricians gloves will be more than adequate though they are quite thick and would work better with the leather gauntlets.

Also on the electric network in thunderstorms the overhead linesmen down tools at the first sign / hearing of thunder and don't carry on until 30 mins after the last bit of thunder.

Darren
Ex High Voltage Fitter

twt

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 07:20:46 pm »
my pole runs on water not electric so there is no risk of electricution

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 07:22:32 pm »
 ??? explain ?

xxmattyxx