Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DASERVICES

SLWCN News
« on: June 18, 2007, 07:54:27 pm »
Sorry it's me again but just posting this for Scottish window cleaners on the latest news.

The SLWCN has worked alongside Clacks Council and now all licensed window cleaners are listed on their website : - http://www.clacks.gov.uk/document/984.doc

Bit disappointed that there were not more names as I personnally printed out 15 forms for local window cleaners.  So there are a lot more that are not licensed working out there, who either do not know they need to be licensed or refuse to get one. Funny enough the company who cleans the schools are not licensed which they should as anyone working in a school has to be Police checked.

On the plus side there will be articles in the newspapers asking the public to check to see if their window cleaner is licensed and the potential risk on using an unlicensed window cleaner.

With regards to other Councils we have been given the green light from the Council to list licensed window cleaners on the SLWCN wesbite. We still need to check a few more details but it does look like the general public will be able to check to see if their window cleaner is licensed. This will be advertised through local newspapers.

What the general public reaction will be we do not know but hopefully it should benefit licensed window cleaners and reduce the fear factor of cowboy cleaners ( ones that claim benefit and do not declare that they are working ) coming in and under cutting them. Hopefully window cleaners can get paid what they are worth.

There is still the problem of having to have several licenses which can be costly for some window cleaners, in the future we hope to tackle this but that will be a harder task.

For those of you who are licensed we would welcome your thoughts through our contact form on the website as the SLWCN . Your views count because we want to make sure we get it right.

We have some high level talks hopefully next month so another incentive to let us know your thoughts. If we get get public awareness and the vast majority of the public only request a licensed window cleaner it will trun our industry for the better.

Apologise to window cleaners in England N. Ireland and not forgetting the country that loves us the best Wales ( Tosh  ;D) but this is a bee in our bonnet which needs to be resolved.

Thanks

Re: SLWCN News
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:09:47 pm »
This is excellent and we should copy.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 04:04:27 pm »
I have just checked out the site for angus window cleaners and my name is not on it  ???
Have i upset you ;) ;D

DASERVICES

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 05:48:51 pm »
I have just checked out the site for angus window cleaners and my name is not on it  ???
Have i upset you ;) ;D

Nope still adding the list of names, will be there by the end of the week.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 05:52:27 pm »
ah! cheers :)

DASERVICES

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 05:55:21 pm »
Further update on Clacks council, a press release will be issued advising the public to only use licensed window cleaners. The SLWCN will use this to show other Councils and hopefully they will also put out press releases.

Also there seems to be a dislink between the Council tender department and the licensing department in that companies doing the tenders did not have their workers licensed. This is now being addressed as well as over unlicensed window cleaners who advertise their serivces.

Getting there slowly, this will create a huge shortage in window cleaners so up your prices. ;)

DASERVICES

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 06:02:11 pm »
Forgot to put the link but they have not wrote the article yet but is due for a press release :- http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/

DASERVICES

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 06:07:48 pm »

Doug, is this refering to Clacks council or the article you sent me regards the Angus council tenders.

Tam,

At moment it's Clacks council  looking into it, and Angus who seem to very helpful will be looking into it to see if ABC are licensed. As you know there seems to quite a few Councils that have unlicensed window cleaners doing their contracts. The problem is the tender department do not inform the licensing department about this which is now being brought to their attention.

DASERVICES

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 05:26:59 pm »
Bit disappointed in the Council's press release, was hoping that they would urge the general public only to use licensed window cleaners. Will see if they can add that bit in :-

http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/regulation/licensing/gamblingorgaming/windowcleaning/

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 07:28:24 pm »
I thought this was a good idea for us english but £150 is a bit steep. I know you get to be on a the list but what else do you get for your money? a picture and badge? CRB check?

You didn't think the press release went far enough! It does say that it is an offence to carry on the trade or proffession of window cleaning without being registered, perhaps the council feel they can raise more money by prosecuting people.

DASERVICES

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 08:32:05 pm »
For £150 we should get public awareness that they should only use licensed window cleaners. This would result window cleaners charging what they are worth and not trying to scrape a living in some areas.

If this is cracked then window cleaning will go to another dimension which is good for the trade.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 09:13:40 pm »
I agree. Not just good for the trade ,it would be brilliant.

A couple of the mods on here are also something to do with APWC and you may have noticed I often try and provoke a response from them. They are non commital because they fear it might affect the take up to their org. My view is if they showed a bit of leadership people might follow. Come on Helen  give us your thoughts.

I can understand their not Disscussiuing assciation biz on here, and they would probably point out that I am not even a member. Thing is they are probably scared, but I would say look at DA he cost every WC in Scotland £150 but I haven't seen one single derogatory post about him. (and you know what the Scots are like with money)

DASERVICES

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 10:57:24 pm »
The SLWCN is going a different way as we have a very good set up if it works. Hence the name " Network " as every one is helping each other.

Window cleaning is a business and what we see is prices going down and not up, it is the only trade that is doing it.

This is my aim due to my experience and also our commitee members.

Offer our members cheep van deals
Tenders that will only have licensed window cleaners
Sell WFP to the public
Training how to use wfp and trad methods
Networking for contracts
How to price

Many more things to come but it will take time as we have to tackle the licence and have a fairer system.

We have a good team of experienced players that are in it to "HELP" window cleaners.

Tam Kay, Davie Park and others who help out and advise like Jim K, Ewan C. and many more.

We have all one aim to improve our industry, but it is a tall order a lot of hard work and if we succeed we will retire happy  ;D