This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SherwoodCleaningSe

Should I give another chance?
« on: May 31, 2007, 05:58:58 pm »
What should I do?

Dropped a customer recently about 6 months back, it was a pretty good earner, but there was some payment issues, they were always really late.  Did a factory 2 hours tops £60 and a house £320 for 5 hours 2 men.

Get a phone call asking if I can take them back on, said the problem was her office manager and she has sacked him.  She apologized and asked me to apologize to the missus as well for all the hassle caused to her chasing them up.

What would you do guys, this work is worth about 3K a year for 6 days work for 2 people each year and a 2 hour early start each month, so worth the money.  Shall I accept the apology and take a chance or leave it?

Simon.

simon knight

Re: Should I give another chance?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 06:10:14 pm »

It's a no-brainer mate.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 06:17:19 pm »
What should I do?

Dropped a customer recently about 6 months back, it was a pretty good earner, but there was some payment issues, they were always really late.  Did a factory 2 hours tops £60 and a house £320 for 5 hours 2 men.

Get a phone call asking if I can take them back on, said the problem was her office manager and she has sacked him.  She apologized and asked me to apologize to the missus as well for all the hassle caused to her chasing them up.

What would you do guys, this work is worth about 3K a year for 6 days work for 2 people each year and a 2 hour early start each month, so worth the money.  Shall I accept the apology and take a chance or leave it?

Simon.

£380 for 14 man hours = about £27 per hour which I suppose is alright spread over two jobs.
Tricky one.  I'm wondering if they want you back because the guy who followed you jacked it in too.
Without knowing the people it's hard to say.  I think I would probably go for it with a small price increase and paperwork clearly laid out concerning what you will do for how much money and your payment terms.  I feel it needs to be a short enough time lag to ensure you have been paid for the previous clean before you start the next one.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 06:20:18 pm »
Take it back on,it dosen`t sound like you will lose it again.

vwm

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:20:59 pm »
it seems a good earner but before i'd take it back i would want all money  outstanding (should there be any) and payment up front

if they are   sorry this shouldnt be a problem and understand if not dont get biten twice

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 06:33:05 pm »
Take it back, if its just late payment then thats ok , you should worry more about "none" payment

GAZZA B

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 07:36:08 pm »
TAKE IT BACK!!!!!

GAZZA

Helen

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 07:45:19 pm »
Sometimes we all cut off our noses to spite our faces! Go with your gut feeling. Has it been cleaned since you did it? Put a nice first clean price on it now, give written confirmation of your terms and conditions including the fact that should payment be late, immediate action will be taken to obtain the payment. Always worth giving a second chance as maybe they might just be telling you the truth!

Lizzy

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:53:40 pm »
add a clause that late payments after your terms (be it 15, 30 or 60 days) will incur an interest charge or late payment penalty fee for every day late.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 08:52:43 pm »
Take it back but make it clear about payment.

Macc

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »
Cheers guys,  I'll take it back and up the price a bit then.

Thanks again.

spotless2000

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 10:31:04 pm »
As there has been payment 'issues', I would ask for payment up front and if they don't go for this then insist on payment on completion of job. i.e. same day.

Steve

EasyClean

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 11:51:06 pm »
Tell them you'll take it back on providing they set up a standing order payment directly into your bank on a set day each month prior to cleaning their windows because of their past payment history.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

alex graham

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 08:15:07 pm »
take it back but increase price by 20% and insist on standing order as previously mentioned ( not direct debit)

regards

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 06:17:13 pm »
Just to let you know I took her back and it now looks like they are gonna be real good customers.  Did the factory and cheque arrived the next day, did the house and cheque arrive 4 days later.  I stuck the prices up as well.

Got talking to the Mum who's windows we also do and it work out that the office manager had swindled £200k out the company and they didn't even notice.

I didn't feel bad at all about putting the prices up especially when we noticed a brand new Ferrari F430 convertable sitting on the driveway.

Simon

Thanks for all the input.

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 06:36:06 pm »
Well done Simon  ;D

Hope they value you now but don't be affraid to them in future if the payment is not in by the end of the week. That way they eill know to get the payment made & you wont allow them to take time sending it.

Macc

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 07:17:47 am »
Just to let you know I took her back and it now looks like they are gonna be real good customers.  Did the factory and cheque arrived the next day, did the house and cheque arrive 4 days later.  I stuck the prices up as well.

Got talking to the Mum who's windows we also do and it work out that the office manager had swindled £200k out the company and they didn't even notice.

I didn't feel bad at all about putting the prices up especially when we noticed a brand new Ferrari F430 convertable sitting on the driveway.

Simon

Thanks for all the input.

Sounds like you made the right choice then.  I've taken back customers before and they've been OK once they realise that you won't be messed about.  Mind you, I also took a couple back who quickly drifted back to the bad old ways as well.  They were dropped as soon as the money was paid.

KarlJones

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 11:32:36 am »
Thanks for filling us in with the update and well done to both you and your missus for having the guts to trust the advice and go for it.

It just shows how good this site is,  from the new starter wondering what scrim is to the £3k a year two man job.   It's all in here ain't it :)
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.